Eggfast / Fatfast

Options
CoconuttyMummy
CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
Ive seen these mentioned on another forum and wondered

a) if any of you guys have embarked on a Fatfast or Eggfast, or intend to in the future?
b) how does it differ to regular ketosis?
c) is it meant to lose more weight quicker than keto?

Im liking keto right now, but just thought id ask what these fasts are all about, just incase i need one in my weightloss arsenal.

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've tried the fatfast for a week. I wasn't a very happy camper...needed more protein than the fatfast allows w/ its calorie restriction and % from fat required. My best success to date has been the meativore approach to eating...very low carb and majority of food from the animal kingdom. Fat to satiety.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I see this as a very limited purpose and usage tool. I figure if I stall out more than three months, I might consider it. But if I am making progress, I'm not going to mix up things to try to make it better. Yes, it might work, or I might set myself back six months. Not worth it. Slow and stead wins the race.

Usually, I see fat fasts as people using it as a jump start, getting back into keto after falling off the wagon, that type of thing. I don't know anyone who includes this in their regular rotation.

That being said, intermittent fasting and or water fasts are things I've heard more about here.

Again, though, I would say that these are special tools to be used sparingly, or their efficacy will diminish!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This link is on point and has some interesting ideas and commentary. The recipes aren't bad.
    I looked into it as well, but I have the same take on it as Knit.

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast.html
  • Ashar33
    Ashar33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about doing the egg fast for just one week and seeing what happens. Probably going to do it the last week of June, as July is going to be a no weigh-in month for me. I've read up on the fat fast and it does NOT seem appealing to me at all. So there's that.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Considering I do not like eggs all that much an egg fast for me would be a BIG FAIL! I suppose a fat fast would be acceptable, but I seem to do well on a water fast. Huh, worth considering tho'
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    This link is on point and has some interesting ideas and commentary. The recipes aren't bad.
    I looked into it as well, but I have the same take on it as Knit.

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast.html

This is a good resource for egg fast stuff.

But yeah, basically either of them are short term "fasts" that supposedly help break a plateau and maybe one or two other uses.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    @slimzandra I'm going to try that salted caramel custard, thanks for sharing the link! :)
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Thanks guys. The IBreatheImHungry website looks great - i'm off to bookmark some recipes. Mmmm!

Yeah i think i'll leave well alone for now as its early days on keto, but if i do stall for any length of time it looks like the eggfast would be a potentially effective short-term boost to kickstart some more weightloss. Im hoping it wont be necessary, but if i do keep plateauing i think i'll give it a go for a week or so. You guys are right too - the Fatfast looks quite unappealing when you think about it. Some of those Eggfast recipes on IBIH look much more appetising. Im guessing an Eggfast would put you off eggs for quite a while after. Id hate to grow a dislike for eggs because theyre such a quick, easy, adaptable, tasty, nutritious food. Eggs are great :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »

That version should be called an egg/dairy fast, eh?
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I've never done a fat fast, but I have Dana Carpender's Fat Fast Cookbook and some of the recipes in it are delicious.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Does that one have piccies, Twibbly?! :)
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I did a fat fast followed by an egg fast last January after I recovered from a terrible flu / strep throat. I did it to jumpstart myself back into ketosis. I did it again a couple weeks later on my "weekend" to get over a plateau. The recipes on ibreatheimhungry are awesome.
    Results were positive. I only did them for 2-3 days each and it was on my "weekend" so I didn't have to worry about being all freaky at work.

-T.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Does that one have piccies, Twibbly?! :)

Some...in black & white.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    You'd get the same results restricting calories on a wider variety of foods. Eggs, fat, grapefruit... cabbage soup... it's all the same thing. Calorie restriction.