On the hunt for LC microwavable lunch/dinner meals/ideas

Options
sweetteadrinker2
sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
I'm in the honors program at my university, and one of the biggest perks is that we have our own small building. Tables, couches, computers and A KITCHEN! :smiley::smiley: I have access to a hot plate, a fridge/freezer, microwave, and a bit of cupboard storage/locker area. The coffee pot looks like it hasn't been used in awhile and there was no coffee present, but I'm fixing that on my next trip to costco. This girl is not paying for university priced coffee.

So far I've taken in a squeeze bottle of mayo(they have miracle whip in the fridge, god only knows why), a couple cans of tuna, some atkins bars and a couple atkins frozen pizzas.

Does anyone have recommendations for low carb microwave meals? Or things that freeze in containers and reheat/defrost well? Any favorite meals from atkins? I'm probably going to be eating lunch and dinner in this place 2-4 days per week, so hoping for some ideas that arent tuna salad and the above mentioned pizzas/bars. I'd be doing a large trip in on a Monday and then eating on that food till Thursday at dinner.

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I reheat leftovers from the previous night's dinner. :smile:

For days when there are no leftovers, my favorite foods to bring to work for breakfasts/lunches/snacks are:
    * Sliced deli meat (turkey or chicken in my case) with chunks or slices of cheese rolled up in lettuce leaves or low-carb tortillas with a little squirt of mustard in each one.
    * Tuna salad eaten out of an avocado.
    * Greek yogurt.
    * Hard boiled eggs.
    * Pickles.
    * Salad with any kind of meat and cheese and a bit of Newman's Own italian dressing.
    * Dark chocolate.
    * Peanut butter (yeah, I just eat it with a spoon). :wink:

I don't really do pre-fab freezer meals, as I find them unsatisfying as a general rule. I have nothing against them--I am just not a fan.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I know that the copycat Olive Garden soup I made (kale sausage cream soup) froze and reheated well. Any taco meat stuff does, too. If you find a keto chili you like, it would also. Just reheat, add cheese, sour cream, whatever. To the soup, you add the cream, also, after it is heated. Roasted chicken pieces can be frozen then reheated, skin down on the hot plate, I'd think. Eggs/egg scrambles/frittatas/omelettes all reheat well (mix eggs together with some whipping cream, pour it over fried sausage or crumbled bacon or diced ham, top with cheese, bake until fluffy). Makings of "plate pizza" (a sauce with pepperoni and cheese, compiled on site - or add cream cheese in layers, then use pork rinds or flax crackers to dip... Pre-cooked burger patties (can be frozen after, if needed) to be reheated, then topped and enjoyed...

Sorry, that's all I can come up with uncaffeinated so far this am....lol.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Sorry, I just realized you asked specifically about things that freeze well. So what @KnitOrMiss said. Maybe cook on the weekend (chili, soup, keto lasagna, loaded cauliflower mash, etc.) and freeze it in individual portions?
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I like to make breakfast casseroles and they freeze/reheat well. I use this as my base recipe, but tweak it with ingredients that I prefer. I cut it into individual servings and just put them in freezer baggies.
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/early_rise_breakfast.html
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    I like to make breakfast casseroles and they freeze/reheat well. I use this as my base recipe, but tweak it with ingredients that I prefer. I cut it into individual servings and just put them in freezer baggies.

That looks so yummy!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »

This looks excellent! And should reheat well. Thank you everyone for your suggestions!
  • MrsMES10
    MrsMES10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Leftovers of whatever you're making for dinner! I have lots of portions of things like burgers and meatballs, and then I can dress them however the mood suits. Frittata cups also freeze/reheat well. I've been having really good luck with recipes from ruled.me (keto blog).
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I buy the Costco Angus beef patties then dress it up with cheese, bacon, and mayo. But you'd probably get a better deal making your own patties. I also make different casserole dishes then divide them into meal portions.