Diarrhea Question for Keto/Paleo/Zero-Carb people

Options
Hey all,

I've been keto for about 40 days now (F, 24, 5'7", SW: 170, CW: 164) and I've had very consistent diarrhea since beginning. My macros are set to 5% carb, 75% fat, 20% protein, but in usually closer to 1-2% carb with the balance added to fat. I haven't cheated once (I don't even do keto "treats" or use sweetener) and eat close to a zero carb diet (between 1 and 10g total carbs per day) though I am not opposed to green veggies - it's simply been what I'd done to fix my sweet tooth. I usually eat 1000-1300 calories per day (my MFP goal is set to 1200), but not out of conscious restriction - I just eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not.

I make sure my electrolytes are kept up by salting everything with potassium/sodium (using Celtic sea salt or Hawaiian sea salt or something similar) and I drink a lot of water. I've read the FAQs, read Keto Clarity, and listen to a lot of low-carb/keto podcasts to make sure I'm not making huge mistakes. I don't have diabetes, insulin resistance, or another metabolic disease that I'm aware of.

I don't take Miralax or the like because I don't feel bad when I haven't pooped in a while (if i felt bloated or constipated I would use it with no qualms)...I just let my body work itself out and trust that if I feed it good food it will treat me well in restore.

However, I've been having diarrhea since I've started! I read on low-carb, keto, and zero-carb forums that this usually only happens during the adaptation phase for ~3 weeks. It's been nearly six for me and it doesn't show signs of stopping. A couple of times I had "legitimate" poops and thought the diarrhea spells were over, but they haven't ceased.

From what I've read, I don't think it's due to a lack of fiber (I don't think you need nearly as much when keto and no-one on zero carb forums that I've read seems to have this issue long-term), but I'm honestly not sure. I feel like I'm following all the "rules" but I'm not sure how long to try to ride this out...

Has anyone had similar experiences? Any advice to offer?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It could be something you're eating. Do you drink a lot of coffee, or are you depending a lot on dairy? Those are the two biggest culprits for GI issues in general. Try a week or so without them if you have them a lot and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, check back on your logs and see if there's anything that stands out.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    First, as a medical professional, I have to say, you're having loose stools, not diarrhea. Prolonged diarrhea (generally a couple days) can pretty easily cause metabolic acidosis, which can be a fairly serious thing, medically speaking.

Now that I am done being pedantic (sorry) I just have to say I feel you. On this WOE, most of my stools are loose, some explosively so (black coffee+fat=laxative), and as long as I stick to it, never firmer than soft.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest and say I wasn't sure if it was fiber or not but since making most of my carbs veg and salad (which is what you SHOULD do, i know!) My tummy has been significantly better. So for me, that particular method worked well.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Even though it adds fiber, sugar-free psyllium (capsules work if you don't like the powder) can be pretty effective in firming up mild cases of the trots, if you haven't tried it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any magnesium and if so what form and how much?
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been having the very same problem as you of loose stools for the 9 weeks I have been LCHF. I have just now started experimenting with adding in daily some cream cheese as I noticed I had less issues on previous days when I had a packet of it. I've also started adding a few green olives as well. It's still early but it seems to be helping a bit. I'm still trying to figure it all out and what works best for me with the limited foods available where I am.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If you've been consuming any significant amount of dairy (and want to continue including dairy in your daily regimen) I've been consuming homemade Greek yogurt for a couple of weeks now and it's made a huge improvement in my digestive symptoms. The catch is that not only does the yogurt have to be homemade, it has to "cook" for 24 hours instead of the eight hours most yogurt makers call for.

It doesn't have to be strained to turn regular yogurt into Greek, but the improved taste and texture of the Greek version is well worth the effort. My husband has jumped on the yogurt bandwagon, so my Euro Cuisine yogurt maker is currently working its magic every other day. Walking into the kitchen yesterday, I vaguely registered that something was different; it was the light on the yogurt maker OFF, instead of ON.
  • FocusonHealthy
    FocusonHealthy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any magnesium and if so what form and how much?

I'm not taking any magnesium (or psyllium husk) because I wasn't really sure what the purpose of it was from a health perspective. I know people take it when they want to "bulk up" their poops but I didn't have a NEED to. I'm moreso wondering whether or not loose stools is a problem that I should be seeking to fix/evidence I'm doing something wrong or it's simply something new I'll have to live with.

I guess I was concerned because people seemed to say that their bodies evened out after being keto for a few weeks and mine hasn't so I was concerned.

I've never been a coffee drinker and don't drink it now, but I consume dairy regularly (always fresh mozzarella in the form of caprese salads). I'll give the homemade yogurt a try and see what happens! Maybe loose stools is just a keto thing and it will happen regardless unless I try to "engineer" a solution with supplements...

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    It happened to me the second time I started keto. It did eventually even out. It can happen from lots of sodium too
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's a Keto thing. It may be a fat thing for you. ??? When someone is constipated, increasing fat is often suggested. Many people think they have to eat tons of fat. I have no idea if you're purposely eating extra fat for that reason, but if so, it's totally not necessary.
    Posts asking about dealing with what people perceive to be constipation are more common. But, usually it's not constipation but just going less often. Which is not the same thing.
    Anyway, I have to wonder about eating more fat than necessary when diarrhea is mentioned...
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's a Keto thing. It may be a fat thing for you. ??? When someone is constipated, increasing fat is often suggested. Many people think they have to eat tons of fat. I have no idea if you're purposely eating extra fat for that reason, but if so, it's totally not necessary.
    Posts asking about dealing with what people perceive to be constipation are more common. But, usually it's not constipation but just going less often. Which is not the same thing.
    Anyway, I have to wonder about eating more fat than necessary when diarrhea is mentioned...

When I had that issue I want eating more fat than I did the first time keto. The first time I had 0 issues and went way less often. I remember posting about it the second time and @dittodan mentioned gut flora and others said to try kombucha for that. It eventually resolved on its own but that was after I did some more carbs so that may have factored in.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My BMs tend to be loose on keto too - this is 10 or so months in. Cheese is my brake. I eat cheese and things slow down a lot.

It is worse when I have too much coconut oil, too much magnesium or salt, or on days when I switch to mostly meat.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's a Keto thing.

Definitely my thoughts too. Changing up your standard diet ALONE can impact your bowels. When I first started losing weight I did it on a low fat, high carb diet and I never had so many 'emergency' moments in my life. On Keto I would guess either too much magnesium (there is a kind that is used to loosen stools) or the caffeine/fat combo, that one gets me. But it may just be the body adjusting to change - a new diet and losing weight.

• fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It can be a sign of infection too. Do you have a tiny fever? You can try probiotics too.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem.