Sources:

Options
cjdsign
cjdsign Posts: 202 Member
Here are some sources for information. If you have sources, it would be great to share them here and also for an easy way to keep it all together.

Replies

• cjdsign
    Options
    Source: http://calorielab.com great resource calorie intake, burn & articles!

Source: http://fit2mecoach.com diabetes weigh loss site, however, I found the exercise and stretching very good and helpful here. Good recipes too!

• cjdsign
    Options
    Calorie Lab http://calorielab.com a great way to add up your burned calories and they have good articles and a restaurant/foods calorie counter. check it out!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    To determine your calculated basal metabolic rate, also helps set up your macro goals for a low-carb diet if that's your style:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
  • cjdsign
    Options
    Cheesy also added: A great podcast on re-committing and maintaining focus when on a long-term weight loss: (HalfSizeMe number 218, April 11, 2016) https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/half-size-me/id502334416?mt=2#episodeGuid=http://www.halfsizeme.com/?p=22802" Thank you Cheesy for your great input. I will watch it tonight! CJ
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    MFP by default sets your percentages to 50% Carbs 20% Protein and 30% Fats. I've done some research and would recommend 45% 25% 30% for those of us who cannot exercise at all and 40% 30% 30% for those of us who can do limited exercise - especially any strength training.

At those levels, you really need to make sure you're getting plenty of protein. For a lot of us, carbs have been our companion for decades and have become a source of comfort. Fat too. Now however, we want to remove the fat and add some valuable muscle to keep us vaguely healthy. Protein helps promote muscle growth. Simple as that.

I've read an excellent study that shows LIGHT weights can also help build muscle (great for those of us with weight limitations for lifting) as long as the reps/sets are at a level where the muscles become exhausted to the point of failure (Meaning you simply cannot do anymore reps/sets during that workout). Source.

I have not had the opportunity to put it to the test, however it does make complete sense to me (and I used to lift weights before the back injury) and I feel it could be a major benefit to those of us who need to add some strength but are restricted on what we can lift.

I've also found that setting your activity level to sedentary and not logging most exercise helps to keep you on track. When I start adding in minor activities, invariably all I do is throw extra empty calories into the mix that I don't need or want.

Ultimately, you'll need time and observation to see what works best for you.

If you're set for 2lbs/week and you log exercises of any type and you're losing 2lbs/week? You're on track. If you're set for 2lbs/week, log and you're only losing a pound? Then you're off track, stop logging the exercise and your weight should start coming off as expected.

Don't log exercises to justify more comfort food for the day. It only hurts yourself.

If I can help anyone with further information, I will be happy to answer any questions I know the answers to and I'll be happy to tell you I haven't a clue when I really don't have one.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Then you're off track, stop logging the exercise and your weight should start coming off as expected.

yep..if we figure our metabolism is slow then ordinary walking, daily tasks, hauling the trash can to the curb does not fool your body, and is already 'built in' to how your body works.

However CICO does not work for some, and even LCHF fails ME, while I stick to IT... so many variables enter into how *your* body functions with food consumed...we are not bunsen burners, I can't "set my MFP" to X pounds, it never works, never has, and I do all measuring, tracking, etc.

At best just eliminating as many processed foods as possible, sugars of any kind, eating fresh food cooked at home is a start, for me. My kidney doc just changed meds, I gained 3-4 pounds over 2 days..not real weight, but it isn't going anywhere soon it seems...I have learned to just live with this.

Not just giving up and 'face planting' into a box of donuts is also a success.
  • moobaloo13
    moobaloo13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

That just cracked me up! :D
  • BinaryFu
    Options
    Then you're off track, stop logging the exercise and your weight should start coming off as expected.

yep..if we figure our metabolism is slow then ordinary walking, daily tasks, hauling the trash can to the curb does not fool your body, and is already 'built in' to how your body works.

However CICO does not work for some, and even LCHF fails ME, while I stick to IT... so many variables enter into how *your* body functions with food consumed...we are not bunsen burners, I can't "set my MFP" to X pounds, it never works, never has, and I do all measuring, tracking, etc.

At best just eliminating as many processed foods as possible, sugars of any kind, eating fresh food cooked at home is a start, for me. My kidney doc just changed meds, I gained 3-4 pounds over 2 days..not real weight, but it isn't going anywhere soon it seems...I have learned to just live with this.

They are all tools. CICO works - science dictates that on the most fundamental level. Calories in less than Calories out = weight loss. CICO works for us too, just like everyone else, with a major difference...

The problem is, the rules established here are for "average normal people." Aside from "people " those words really don't apply to us. Which means our metabolic rates may be off, our dietary needs may be skewed (I met someone the other day who had to have a low carb, moderate protein and high fat diet. Waitwut?), or our bodies may just have different needs because of whatever is wrong with us.

So, when you're not in the norm, it all becomes experimentation at that point. For you, for me, for our doctors, for everyone around us.

It's like a new car that you know nothing about. A "normal" car takes gas or diesel and runs for about 25 miles to the gallon. This new car you toss diesel into and nothing happens. Turns out it's gas. Okay. Then, you go for a drive with 10 gallons of fuel, expecting to go 250 miles. It goes 200. It needs more fuel than other cars, obviously. Lesson learned. Soon you notice it's falling apart. With some experimenting you realize that it runs on regular gas, but it really *needs* high octane to just function normally. Withe high octane, it manages to just make it to 220 miles now. With a fuel additive later on, you see 240 miles. It'll never be normal, but now it's much closers than it was before.

We are that car. We're still learning the best fuels to use...

However, once the magical alignment of planets and gluten-free buns are figured out, then the tools others use we can use as well, maybe with some modifications, but they *can* be used.

We don't get to rule anything out as "it doesn't work for me" until we've done all the experimenting to go with it. And when we find what works? Stick to it and keep it up, but keep an eye out for something that makes things even better.

For example, you said sticking with fresh cooked foods and avoiding sugar has helped.

The translation for that is: food high in nutrients and the removal of empty calories has helped.

Anyone in MFP would agree that it should help, because it's part of the process when you lose weight and start getting low on calories - you need higher nutrition with less calories.

Personally, I think if you're eating junk food or fast food and you're in this group, you're adding to your own pain and suffering. Highly refined or processed foods should be on that list too.

In fact, maybe we should start a list of things to avoid or things to use as replacement.

What are some of the foods you've found that really help you? What foods cause the pain to come in force?

Gluten is a gimme for me, because I'm intolerant to it. But high sugar (like smarties or sweet tarts - pure sugar with flavoring) makes me feel terrible. High salt doesn't phase me one bit, but I'll retain water weight for awhile. High fiber and protein fill me up better than bread or pasta ever could before and carbs are an annoying addiction my body doesn't like but my taste buds do!
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Personally, I think if you're eating junk food or fast food and you're in this group, you're adding to your own pain and suffering. Highly refined or processed foods should be on that list too.

Gee Binaryfu you sure lecture others a lot. "face planting" of any foods is a JOKE. (Moobaloo appreciates a joke, thank you!)

The difference between you and me, I am certain, is I have educated myself on nutrition studies and reports/theories beyond basic CICO, which actually teaches that if you drop 500 calories a day you should lose weight forever until you weight ~1.2 pounds...if that actually worked we'd see many more tiny skeletons walking around, but loss is not endless, so the theory fails. The tool is failing the humans!
    So wise people continue to discover what else works. NOT insist CICO works, but we broken people somehow must work around it..Exactly my point!

Our bodies are not bunsen burners, CICO should be 'repeatable' and work for all, the millions who have measured and ate low fat, low calorie have driven their metabolism out of normal forever.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/biggest-loser-diet-explained/
    The obese people on Biggest Loser have been PROVEN to now use 400-800 calories a day, regained ALL the weight ( only 1 did not) no matter how much they exercise and CICO NOW..they permanently altered their body to eat at 1200 calories forever, a miserable trick on them!.

You can LOSE weight on CICO only..but you are messing with a complex system far beyond most people's understanding, especially females with more delicate hormone systems designed to protect baby-making ability for racial survival, and 99% can never keep it off.

So once YOU have gotten to perfect weight, and stayed there for 5-10 years years, then you can insist your way works. For. You.

Try www.intensivedietarymanagement.com and you will learn a lot!

I observe others do what works for them...but you will insist ONLY one method done one way works...if your theory was correct gluten made no difference to anything...but you hold it out as your special need. Humans had few issues with gluten until we stopped using all grains and eat only the stunted dwarf wheat to feed the masses..at that point humans LOST 6" in height over time as this altered grain affected the entire body.

Like those anxious to reply you failed to read what I actually said I ate. And I have successfully lost 30 lbs with a LCVLPHF diet designed for CKD. New meds impact my system as it adjusts to them, and adding back too many carbs of any type stops loss. I did not say I can eat 5,000 calories, or even 3,000, but WHAT I eat makes a big difference.

CKD is serious life threatening disease, MANY factors apply, I have figured these out, and seeing one person lecture their way ONLY must work in this Disabled group who deal with many medications and all sorts of physical differences is outrageous, as you are not an MD, researcher, RD or other expert.

At LEAST you didn't add to pompous paternalism by using the "baking a cake" analogy, to a female but wasted words on the "car-fuel" story.

(I met someone the other day who had to have a low carb, moderate protein and high fat diet. Waitwut?) ......and now you just made fun of the diet you 'personally' follow yourself?
    but LCHF is something you have rejected, along with most of the crowd at MFP.

We don't get to rule anything out as "it doesn't work for me" until we've done all the experimenting to go with it. < another "royal "we" thought of yours. 16 months of strict 1400 calorie USDA high carb diet by a Renal RD FAILED ME...<8 lb loss in all that time..even SHE gave up forcing me to follow it. But you *kitten*-u-med again.

CJ I'm sorry this person has hijacked the group early on, and seems to have all the time in the world to teach us all 'his way' is the ONLY way.
  • BinaryFu
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Apparently you took my post as a personal attack, it wasn't. I have a lousy way of explaining things and come off the wrong way at times. Apologies.

CICO works because it is a mathematical formula. For obese, it works. For fit people, it'll still work to a point. That point would be when your metabolism drops to preserve life.

That was point one.

For us, we need to experiment to find out what is wrong when it appears math fails us. It could be a protein absorption problem, metabolism, or a million more things I don't know, because I'm not a doctor. It is however, a clue when math appears to fail us. From there, we have to figure out what is really going on.

I attempted to use an analogy of how math works, but our knowledge may limit us in comprehension. We expect one outcome, get another - doesn't mean the formula is wrong. Our information may be.

That was point two.

I wasn't lecturing you. It was a point I felt important to mention and had nothing to do with your joke, which I took just as that. If I were attacking the joke, I would have said that scarfing donuts doesn't help anything. I was simply using that statement as a segue to what you had mentioned about things that *had* worked and was trying to encourage us to continue discussion on that subject. I felt perhaps discussing what helps and hurts us would benefit all of us.

I was personally invited into this group. If others feel my input is an issue, I will happily bow out.

Apologies to all for the derailment of the conversation.

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    BinaryFu wrote: »

In fact, maybe we should start a list of things to avoid or things to use as replacement.

NO!!
    What works for you, works for you. Please don't make the assumption that it will work for everyone. Don't assume that everyone must follow along your path.

If you want to post a list of what food substitutes have helped you, go right ahead. But please refrain from making it a list of "Foods to be avoided". Not everyone has to avoid the things you do, and not everyone wants to.

Ultimately, each person has to figure out what works for them. The only lifestyle change that works is the one you can stick with long-term, so it must be sustainable. If you're choosing an overly restrictive program (which depends upon your preferences), you will likely regain and be here again in the future.

I'm not here to have anyone tell me what to do, or to push their methods into me. By all means, share what works for you. Just don't expect me to follow it, and please don't word it in ways that suggest I *must* follow along. If you find yourself typing words like "should", please re-examine what you're trying to say, and re-phrase it in a less judging tone.
  • comic_mcfly
    comic_mcfly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to catch up with everything here but lost please someone explan sorry a lot of information to take in
  • cjdsign
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well, what I wanted for this group is sources for us to check out for ourselves. But NOT to attack one another. Just Sources. If it is for you, comment on it. If not, don't and go to the next source. We all do things that help use, we were trying to share them in a non-confrontational way. REMEMBER: these are suggestions that work for each of us. Each of us are different, have different ailments, different bodies, different eating abilities, different moving abilities, different sleeping, digesting, and weight loss abilities. We are each unique. Thank you everyone for your comments but lets keep it sociable. Gentle Hugs, CJ :neutral:
  • cjdsign
    Options
    Preventing Stress Fractures of the Foot

Stress fractures are preventable. These tips can help protect you from developing a stress fracture in the first place:

Eat well. Build stronger, healthier bones by maintaining a diet rich in calcium. This is especially important if you are female.
    Progress slowly. Increase the intensity of your workouts gradually over time. Follow the 10 percent rule to avoid injury.
    Wear the right shoes. Your shoes should fit and feel supportive. They shouldn't be flimsy and worn out. Make sure to replace shoes as necessary.
    Acknowledge pain. If you experience and pain or swelling, stop activity and rest for a few days. If pain persists, see your doctor.
    https://www.verywell.com/stress-fracture-of-the-foot-3119207
  • BinaryFu
    Options
    cjdsign wrote: »
    Preventing Stress Fractures of the Foot

Stress fractures are preventable. These tips can help protect you from developing a stress fracture in the first place:

Eat well. Build stronger, healthier bones by maintaining a diet rich in calcium. This is especially important if you are female.
    Progress slowly. Increase the intensity of your workouts gradually over time. Follow the 10 percent rule to avoid injury.
    Wear the right shoes. Your shoes should fit and feel supportive. They shouldn't be flimsy and worn out. Make sure to replace shoes as necessary.
    Acknowledge pain. If you experience and pain or swelling, stop activity and rest for a few days. If pain persists, see your doctor.
    https://www.verywell.com/stress-fracture-of-the-foot-3119207

This is definitely something I can relate to. I have old breaks on the out-step of both of my feet. My question though is, what is the 10 percent rule? I've never heard of it.

Cheers,
    BinaryFu
  • cjdsign
    Options
    Go up 10% a gradual increase to adding activity, strength, workouts, etc. so that there won't be more damage while increasing slowly and not too fast.
  • cjdsign
    Options

Sugar-Free Foods Won't Help with Weight Loss

There are so many "diet" versions of treats out there, but sugar-free cookies probably aren't the best choice if you're trying to lose weight. LINK
  • krythie
    krythie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I actually have bad reactions to most sugar substitutes, so I stay away from them.