Insulin resistance and obesity

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
Great post and even greater discussion of insulin resistance here:
http://caloriesproper.com/insulin-resistance-and-obesity/

Included in the discussion is the theory recently posted by @Cheesy567 that insulin resistance is a result of inflammation caused by (or coincident with) obesity.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Couldn't the insulin resistant, lean people he mentions just not be at the point where the fat is accumulating yet? These could even be very active people for all anyone knows.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to think about this because of my own experiences. I think I started to develop IR a couple of deacdes ago because that is when I remember my reactive hypoglycemia starting. I was super on board with the whole eat every 2 hours to keep your metabolism rev'ed up advice because I was shaking with cold sweats if I didn't. Back then I was doing weights and running up to 100 km per week. I was fit. A size 8/10 and strong.

Basically, I had IR but I was fairly active and stayed pretty slim on my high carb diet.

I slowly gained about 1lb per year. Not quite but close. Nothing huge. Just enough for the pounds to add up to a size 12 instead of an 8/10.

Then I was on steroids for a year and right after that my BG started being high, and that is when I started gaining weight faster. I think I put on 15lbs in about 10 months, all while trying to cut back and lose what extra fat I already had. To me, it seemed like I gained more once my IR really got going. Could be a coincidence. Or not.
  • wabmester
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Couldn't the insulin resistant, lean people he mentions just not be at the point where the fat is accumulating yet? These could even be very active people for all anyone knows.

I think so. That's probably where the genetic component comes in. Some people are able to efficiently store more fat than others.

I never made it to obesity in terms of BMI, but my metabolism was probably the same as many obese. High TG and low HDL were my markers of insulin resistance. I think my high levels of TG were partly due to carb consumption, but also due to adipose "saturation." Maybe I couldn't easily store much more fat. As levels of fat increase in the blood, it makes some sense for insulin sensitivity to drop. Could be the body's way of saying "Enough! There's no more room!"

In any case, reducing carb intake was the cure for me.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    New study makes me wonder if it will be used as an excuse for too many carbs...
    Medscape June 14/2016
    Insulin-Resistance Tied to Better Bone Structure in Non-Diabetic Postmenopausal Women

Insulin resistance is associated with more favorable bone structure in nondiabetic postmenopausal women, according to new findings.

High bone mass has been found in a variety of hyperinsulinemic conditions, but the association between insulin resistance and bone mass remains uncertain.

For their study, online May 31 in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Dr. Vikram V. Shanbhogue from Odense University Hospital in Denmark and colleagues used data from 146 postmenopausal, nondiabetic, Caucasian women participating in the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation.

Women in the high-insulin-resistance group (as measured by HOMA-IR) had significantly greater areal bone mineral density (aBMD) at the hip and lumbar spine and greater total volumetric BMD (vBMD) at the radius and tibia, compared with women in the low-insulin-resistance group.

Cortical thickness was also greater in women in the high-insulin-resistance group at both the radius and the tibia, as were estimates of bone stiffness and failure load.

"The results indicate that higher HOMA-IR is associated with greater vBMD and generally favorable bone microarchitecture at both weight-bearing and nonweight bearing skeletal sites, independent of body weight," the researchers conclude.

"The associations between HOMA-IR and bone microarchitecture persisted after adjusting for multiple potential covariates, including time since menopause and prior use of medications known to affect bone metabolism, suggesting that the presence of insulin resistance may protect, in part, against bone loss due to estrogen deficiency and/or aging in postmenopausal women, and may contribute to higher aBMD and greater trabecular vBMD and microarchitecture consistently seen in individuals with type 2 diabetes," they add.
  • wabmester
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Insulin-Resistance Tied to Better Bone Structure in Non-Diabetic Postmenopausal Women

Interesting, but not surprising. It's probably the hyperinsulinemia rather than resistance per se. Insulin is anabolic and is generally associated with robust growth (including some tissues that you don't want to grow, like the prostate for men).

I've even seen somebody suggest that the reason we're so much taller than our ancestors is due to carbs and insulin.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to comment on that particular article as it was not open to comments @wabmester but I also wondered if it was actually tied to insulin resistance, or if the obesity that usually accompanies IR is actually the reason for stronger bone (heavier weight lifted builds stronger bones....)
    Nothing in the article addressed other possibilities.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Bump. Been too long!