Pro tips: If you get bored on LCHF

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
Any suggestions for what you all do once you start getting bored on LCHF? I have had a harder time sticking to it consistently the past couple of months; I've just gotten bored, especially of foods in the snack and lunch variety. Dinners are fine. Well OK, I'm bored of breakfasts, too. And dinner leftovers can only go so far. ;) I have less time and energy these days for food prep; I'm sure that's a factor.

Replies

• Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I look up recipes when I feel like I'm getting a little bored.
    I've had eggplant parm, jalapenos wrapped in bacon and stuffed with cream cheese, steak kabobs with cauliflower rice...etc.
    So if you're feeling like you're eating the same things, just see if you can find a low carb recipe that appeals to you.
    This diet allows for so many combinations of foods. Salads, soups, meats and veggies, cheeses...etc, that you CAN eat something different almost every day.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thanks, guys!
    Earlier in this woe I felt like I'd gotten into that zen where I viewed food more as fuel. At this point that's partly my issue but more that a lot of my staples like cheese (!), processed meats, almonds, chicken and eggs have started sounding unappetizing to me; I've lost my taste for them. So that makes it harder to grab a quick breakfast, lunch or snack. (Doesn't rule out all my options but a lot of them.)
    This might be complicated by me having stomach issues over the past month. They'd cleared up when I first started keto and started again a month ago, but I think that's contributed to my stomach having feelings of protest when I think about eating a lot of my usual staples.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    And another thing, and this may sincerely just be me - but there are two ways I can attack "boredom" from repetitiveness, etc.

1) I embrace the routine. Having a fallback plan, even when it is boring and unappealing is a comfort unto itself.

2) I mix things up to the point where people wonder, "Is she off her meds? Is it a midlife crisis? Is she losing it?"

One of those two things usually helps. Sometimes both, heartbeats away. I stopped caring how wacky, insane, or mental other folks thought I was (especially my guy who still buys into all the old, fat will kill you/heart attack waiting to happen crap - and is very vocal about reminding me - but I just laugh, because I know what my body is doing, mostly...). Well, I mostly stopped caring about it, and certain things, well, I just have to put myself first or not care about anyone else's opinions/criticisms for spending money on things for my health/naysayers, etc. It's terrifying, but also sometimes feels so perfect and right... I was raised to take care of my family first, myself last, but I realized at some point that I didn't want my own child doing this - so what the heck was I teaching her. It's still a daily struggle to prioritize myself sometimes, but it is getting easier.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I made pizza protein bread, with lots of cheese and olives. That helped, and it wasn't hard or time consuming.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    You guys are the best. Thanks so much for all the thoughtful replies! Very helpful.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. I tend to get very compulsive about new interests and like to research and learn like crazy. Once I have reached a certain level of knowledge I lose some interest. That's where I am now. There aren't many LCHF or keto books that I haven't read at this point. I feel like I mastered this way of eating. There is no challenge now so it is less interesting.

I also came to this WoE to solve some health problems and for a while, the first 7-8 months, it really helped but now it isn't as much. My arthritis has creeped back on me - autoimmune and osteoarthritis both. My hips are driving me crazy and I wouldn't be surprised if I have hip replacement in my mid 40s which seems just stupid. My hands are swollen and my pointer fingers are not very happy; it has been worse but it has been better too.

Also, my BG in the mornings is not under control. It bounces up to a 7 something (~130) and within a day it is a 3.8 (~65) for no apparent reason. The only thing that seems to keep it at a happy place every time is fasting a day or two, and I am not going to do that often.

Anyways, I find it hard to stay committed to LCHF when I am not getting all of the benefits anymore. But that is my immature side shining through. I tend to forget ALL of the benefits because I have become used to having them over the past year. I am use to being 40 lbs lighter, having better skin, improved cognition, steadier energy, overall better BG and no reactive hypoglycemia. Feeling bad is not normal anymore, and I am used to feeling good so when a few bad things happen I resort to a pity party... Boohoo. I hurt. Yeah well, I hurt more before so suck it up. LOL

I rambled. ;) You're not alone. I am wavering after a year LCHF too, but I know too much to walk away from this WoE completely. To do so would be foolish. And you are in the same boat as me, I bet. I feel less than perfect so I want my carby comfort food of yester year. Deep down I know it won't help though. It will just taste good for a few minutes.

Hang in there.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I feel like I mastered this way of eating. There is no challenge now so it is less interesting.

Happens to me too, but it's just a temporary plateau. :)

Try to understand the bioenergetics of mitochondria, for example:
    The Vital Question: Energy, Evolution, and the Origins of Complex Life

@macchiatto, I go through various snack phases. I used to be nuts about nuts, but they've recently lost their appeal. I switched to parmesan cheese crisps for a while. And I recently tried parsnip chips for the first time. So the trick for me is to have a "deep bench" and cycle through the many snack options.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Call me crazy, but I was glad to get out of the "food is entertainment" mindset. :)

Time for a new hobby? I find musical instruments endlessly entertaining.

This, so true for me also.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @baconslave - I think as this post goes on, it maybe should go under the lessons learned section or something in the sticky. There has been some great stuff in this post from folks that I'd love to see kept and not lost. Thanks in advance!
    I was thinking the same thing! Great responses and insights here. It's given given me a lot to think about and experiment with.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It was "bashert" (translation: Kismet or fate) that I read these posts today- especially @Knitormiss. I've been at such a low point for the past few months and the weight is starting to creep back up. Thanks for the honest and comforting comments that reinforce that this is not a one-time thing. It is the LCHF combined with exercise combined with this forum's amazing support that helped me lose 30 pounds last year...and will help me lose 30 more.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. I tend to get very compulsive about new interests and like to research and learn like crazy. Once I have reached a certain level of knowledge I lose some interest. That's where I am now. There aren't many LCHF or keto books that I haven't read at this point. I feel like I mastered this way of eating. There is no challenge now so it is less interesting.

You sound like me, with literally everything. I would call it ADD, if not for the fact that the interests usually last for at least months, if not years in some cases.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

You sound like me, with literally everything. I would call it ADD, if not for the fact that the interests usually last for at least months, if not years in some cases.

@Gallowmere1984 - Hyperfocusivity is a HUGE component of ADD or ADHD for many folks, me included... Look it up. That covers you COMPLETELY.