newly diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic

Options
ellenaj52
ellenaj52 Posts: 18 Member
I am on a low carb diet (not a no carb diet) as I need to eat less carbs and sugars because of my diabetes diagnosis. My fasting blood sugar was 126, which is just the cut off to get the diagnosis of diabetes. My A1c was 6.7.. Neither extremely high but I am still diabetic. I recently had my eyes checked and my doctor did not notice any indication of diabetes from my eye examination, which is good. I was advised by a dietician that I could eat 2-4 carbs per meal. Since the carbs are the issue this seemed insane advice, but this is what the American diabetes association recommends.
She also told me to go low fat. I told her I would not do this. Instead, I am following the advice of Dr. Mark Hyman. He makes good sense. You can Google him and learn about his advice. I am on no medication. I try to keep my carb intake at 75 grams or less per day. So I eat about 20% carbs, 45% fat, and 35% protein. For the first time in my life the scale is going down and it is working. I think had I listened to her it would not have gone down and then they would want to put me on medication. So glad I followed Mark Hyman's advice! Is anyone else battling diabetes? I would like to hear of your journey also. I test my blood sugar twice a day and the readings are good following Dr. Hyman......I think I will win this battle!

Replies

• fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Diabetic since 2011, reduced my a1c all the way to 5.2 with a moderate carb diet and list 40lbs over 2years. Then I went keto and was able to reduce my a1c to 4.9 and lost another 15lbs over 3 months. I was then taken off medication and kept good numbers until I got pregnant. So as long as you keep the diet/new way of eating, and you keep the weight loss you should be able to control your diabetes and claim you are not diabetic anymore. Keep in mind though to avoid disappointment that the diabetes could come back if something change in your lifestyle...back to high carb, weight gain; hormonal changes but I totally believe you can keep it at bay by controlling how much carb you eat.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solutions is another great source for diabetics following a LCHF diet. It works well for me. I'm a bit unlucky in that weight loss did not help my BG at all. Exercise isn't a hge help either. Only if I stay LCHF does my BG look okay. It's nice to be able to control it with simple food choices. :)

Welcome to the group. :)

@nvmomketo - Huh? I completely disagree. :*

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solutions is another great source for diabetics following a LCHF diet. It works well for me. I'm a bit unlucky in that weight loss did not help my BG at all. Exercise isn't a hge help either. Only if I stay LCHF does my BG look okay. It's nice to be able to control it with simple food choices. :)

Welcome to the group. :)

@nvmomketo - Huh? I completely disagree. :*

;)
  • KatMac22072004
    KatMac22072004 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello aswell!
    I've been type 2 for 12 years now. Didn't care until I got pregnant 3 years ago and was put on insulin. Stayed on insulin (biggest regret now!) until a month ago. Have lost 9kgs in 4 weeks doing low carb. Only take overnight insulin now and recently started januvmet this week. Feel a lot better for sure.
    I am struggling with dinner ideas tho if anyone has any suggestions? So over broccoli as a side!!
  • KatMac22072004
    KatMac22072004 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Welcome to a new way of life! It takes time for your body to adjust and it can be an on-going process of adjustments, but its so worth the effort.
    Couldn't agree more!

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Fellow T2 here.

Almost 2 years of LCHF, lost ±100lbs (still slowly losing), I'm now diabetes free, latest A1c of 5%. You can do this! Congrats on taking responsibility for your health, the ADA guidelines would take you nowhere good.

I second all of @RalfLott comments and his recommendation of Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, that's the best book ever on diabetes management through diet.

Good luck (not that you need it, this works)! ;)

::flowerforyou::
  • RalfLott
    edited July 2016
    Options

After 3 attempts at LCHF, last December I finally made the committment and it has changed my life in so many ways. I'm off all my diabetes meds, I've lost 80 lbs and I'm still losing, I have more energy than I've had in over a decade, and my latest A1c was 5.8.

Welcome to a new way of life! It takes time for your body to adjust and it can be an on-going process of adjustments, but its so worth the effort.

@PaleoInScotland - So happy for you! Great inspiration and great advice.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »

Almost 2 years of LCHF, lost ±100lbs (still slowly losing), I'm now diabetes free, latest A1c of 5%. You can do this! Congrats on taking responsibility for your health, the ADA guidelines would take you nowhere good.

I second all of @RalfLott comments and his recommendation of Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, that's the best book ever on diabetes management through diet.

You too, @KetoGirl83 !

Do you listen to Dr. Bernstein's monthly Q&As? His last one was maybe the best yet.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options

You too, @KetoGirl83 !

Do you listen to Dr. Bernstein's monthly Q&As? His last one was maybe the best yet.

Yep! :)

• nvmomketo
    edited July 2016
    Options

You too, @KetoGirl83 !

He makes a LOT of sense. It's just too bad that he isn't a better public speaker. He's not as entertaining as some other "diet doctors" out there, and I am guessing that affects the number of people who hear his message.
    http://www.diabetes-book.com/free-teleseminar-registration/
  • KetoGirl83
    Options

He makes a LOT of sense. It's just too bad that he isn't a better public speaker. He's not as entertaining as some other "diet doctors" out there, and I am guessing that affects the number of people who hear his message.
    http://www.diabetes-book.com/free-teleseminar-registration/

Replay, no registration needed. Interesting discussion on fasting and diabetes.
    http://events.instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=81409638

• nvmomketo
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    FYI - Here's his most recent Teleseminar (from June). It doesn't have all the graphics that come with the webcasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FxhAvSyRPg