How to you deal with everyone's advice

Options
I work in a huge office full of mostly woman. So you can imagine the unsolicited advice lol.
Ever since starting a reset and now started lifting consistently, I have not lost any weight in 9 months. So everyone assumes I've fallen off the wagon. While everyone around me is losing lots on their shakeolgy, weight watches, LCHF etc.... Trying to give me advice (even though I've lost close to 100lbs but since it's been 3yrs the have forgotten) im constantly being told there is no way I can keep eating over 2000 and lose fat.

Replies

• texgal927
    texgal927 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You no what you need to do. So do it. They might lose now but give them 6 months and the will boomerang back up
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    So true. I'm pretty strong willed so I'm not going to give up. Hard to drown out the negativity. There is a girl who joined that profile place last year. She's lost 50 lbs but she's only eating like 900-1100 calories a day and doing cardio like a maniac. But.... She's not sleeping and she's grouchy a lot. At least I'm not hungry and I sleep 8 hours most nights!!!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Its hard. Ive watched many friends jump on every bandwagon known to man and each and every one of them gained back their weight, plus some, and tried another wagon and another. And each wagon they get on, they claim its the best thing ever and they can "suck it up" for a few weeks or months until they lose the weight and will magically be "better" But they arent ever "better"

The one thing I told myself when I committed to the process and gave up on fad diets is that I would much rather be happy and EAT.ALL.THE.THINGS than to constantly sit there and fret over everything they eat, they spin their wheels jumping on the treadmill to burn off that cupcake. And its still true now. I found I havent fretted over anything I have eaten in a long time. I havent fallen off any wagon, cause there isnt one to fall off. I havent obsessed over calories or food or how little to eat in a very very long time. That are all reasons why I dont listen to friends when they start talking about their new fad diet.

They can go eat their sad sad salad
    Ill eat a big ol' meal and dessert and not feel one ounce of guilt or shame.

In time, they will be the ones asking me for advice on how to lose weight..:)

Keep doing what you are doing. Someone offers advice, you just say, thanks, but Id rather eat than starve myself..

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, in time, they will see that you have lost and not regained (again, since you said you've lost a lot) and they are still spinning their wheels.

In the meantime, you'll be the nicest person in the office cause you aren't starving!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with all the above! I wonder if some people need to yearly weight loss high to feel like they accomplished their fit goal. As if every time go through a large weight loss, no matter how much they starved and exhausted their bodies the got a sense of gratification and forgot that it was the same weight the lost and regained the year before. I have a sister-in-law who did some crazy cardio (daily elliptical hour, possibly in a plastic suit) and vlcd regime every other year and every other year she would regain it in the fall. Every time she seems to get slimmer in the face and top and fluffier and softer on the bottom. But she still acts as she is proud of herself and is doing the best thing ever. Sigh...
    The sucks part is that dh ends up falling for it when she brags. Two months ago he wanted to convince me that we needed an elliptical machine in the living room so he can lose weight like she did...

Meanwhile I enjoy my meals and my life while doing my own thing, lifting and eating. I am so glad I saw the light!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I know. This part of our lifestyle is so hard.
    I deal with it all the time. My sister yo-yo diets and does whatever the latest fad is.
    In the 4 years that I have been following EM2WL she has done 5;2, FODMAP and is currently doing WW. She insists whatever she does works. I try to kindly point out that does it really work if you regain the weight?
    We've all been there. We know it's craziness continuing on the diet roller coaster for the rest of our lives. The best way to show them is by example.
    You can master the 'smile and nod' like I have! People are not ready to hear until they are ready.
    And if they insist you can't do it eating 2000 calories (or 3000 like me!) show them the proof on our website! Women just like us are living it!
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/category/testimonials/transformations/
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I think @TerezaToledo hit it on the head!!!! It's about the instant gratification. I have only followed em2wl for 8 months but it doesn't show in my body. In fact, hubby still calls em2wl eat more to weigh more lol. But I know that I will eventually get a leaner body. I will maintain that body. In the meantime I am feeling better physically (not to mention a higher libido ;) ). I don't feel accomplished. I can't brag about how many pounds I've lost in 2016. But I am laying the foundation for the future. I truly believe that.
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    So much great advice!!! And yes I'm the only one not grouchy from always being satisfied! In time my body will show the results!!! Not giving up!!!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @saranharm , your hubby should be happy about that, lol. @Welcome2theHellmouth, I can't say I'm not grouchy when the food isn't in site, lol, but yes, feeling satisfied and not having hunger pangs, cravings and binges is amazing!

To be honest, after having the baby and losing the instant first lbs from delivery, it took me 18 months to get close to where I am now. In that time I ate and lifted while changes inched slowly. Of course I had moments of thinking that maybe I should do something else (like more cardio), but gladly I was so busy that the old mentality would be brushed off from my mind right away. Meanwhile I ditched the scale and kept going. If I was to measure my progress in how many lbs I lost, I'd feel like a failure! But I measure it on my clothes, in the mirror, in my skin, my mood, my strength and self-confidence. Nope, I didn't get the high from watching the scale go down, but I am daily reaping the high and satisfaction of knowing I can maintain what I achieved for years to come!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Nice. I'm 4 1/2 years postpartum. On the slow train. I hope someday to have an awesome story to tell on em2wl to encourage others who have been working for years trying to lose fat.
  • jerilynconn
    Options