Can the Metabolic Syndrome/Type 2 Diabetes be due in part to a magnesium deficiency?

Options
GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/the-insulin-magnesium-story-2

I do not know the names in this old article but see it as a good place to start a Google search to find real research on the importance of magnesium in humans.

The below blip from the article I think calls for more research as to the validity of these points.

Magnesium improves insulin sensitivity thus lowering insulin resistance.

Magnesium and insulin need each other. Without magnesium, our pancreas won’t secrete enough insulin–or the insulin it secretes won’t be efficient enough–to control our blood sugar. Insulin is a hormone. And like many hormones, insulin is a protein. Insulin is secreted by groups of cells within the pancreas called islet cells.

Insulin is much more important and has many more functions then we realize. It regulates:

lifespan – Lower insulin levels equate to a longer life.
blood sugar
blood lipids
excess nutrients (from glucose, carbs and calories) and converts them to fat
builds muscle
stores protein
magnesium levels in our body
calcium levels in the body
retains sodium levels
cell division
growth hormone
liver functions
sex hormones, estrogen, progesterone, testosterone
cholesterol in the body
fat in our body

Magnesium is a cofactor for multiple enzymes involved in carbohydrate metabolism.[16] Adipocyte cells placed in low-magnesium media show reduction in insulin-stimulated glucose uptake.[17] Magnesium deficiency is associated with increased intracellular calcium levels, which may lead to insulin resistance........

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

::flowerforyou::
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Very interesting and informative as always Gale. Thanks for sharing!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    While we need to eat well it can be hard to know what to eat. Since elimination diets do work for many of us that means we also need to know what NOT to eat.

I concur completely!!

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Did you know, too, that you are unlikely to be able to properly absorb magnesium (or any other electrolyte, mineral, vitamin, anything, actually) with low stomach acid? So for me, who was supplementing and getting nowhere, the stomach acid was factor that I didn't even know was at play. I'm actually really excited to see what all my numbers look like come fall for my next set of bloodwork!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I have been reading some about issue and it does make sense. I think all those years of IBS before going LCHF absorption issues compounded my health issues greatly.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    As we age, we don't absorb nutrients as well as we did when younger. My hair has thinned to about 1/4 of what it once was. For a perm, they used 2 people to roll my hair and it still took over an hour. Now I have scalp showing through. I had added all the "hair" supplements I read about but still thinned (even using minoxidil). Then I read about age related malabsorption of minerals. My NP had put me on magnesium for MS and I had all sorts of improvements in various and sundry ways. So I made sure my daily vitamin contained minerals (jelly type daily vitamins have little to none I discovered) and I supplemented with additional zinc. My hair loss stopped 2 weeks later. No, it hasn't rebounded, but I can live with what hair I have now. While I haven't had improvements in other areas that I noticed due to the zinc, the magnesium even cleared my so-called "MS brain fog". It was like a light turned on one day.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Your statement about how it all seemed to start with IBS symptoms reminded me of a video I watched recently.
    I'll try to find a link.
    It was lengthy and for a bit I almost turned it off thinking there wasn't anything useful to gain from it. There was a little selling type talk in it for products the guy presenting it sells but overall in the end, I realized that much of what he's saying is just related to gut health and eating the right foods. He doesn't ever mention low carb or any of that. He seems to think cleansing the gut and eating right being natural and organic and mostly plant based diet low in sugar is the best way to go. What I got out of it was that our gut health really does control the rest. I think combining low carb with methods to improve gut health and nutrient intake/absorption might be the winning recipe.
    I've been an advocate for magnesium since reading The Magnesium Miracle. I do think other nutrients/minerals need to be balanced too and that's the road of learning I'm on now.

Here's the one I watched. He references other videos in this series of 3. I didn't watch the others yet.
    https://youtu.be/dbGzWdKz1v8