What makes a successful fast day for you?

Options
KateNkognito
KateNkognito Posts: 1,525 Member
I've seen some new folks that might want some ideas, and I am just recovering from an epic dieting disaster that made me really look at what did and didn't work, so I thought I'd post/gather some tips. :)
What makes a successful fast day for me:

Two "big" meals (200-250 cals) instead of 50-100 calories at a time throughout the day.

Having at least two days between fast days, if possible. Only one day between makes it harder for me.

Lots of beverages on fast days. LOTS!!!

What makes a successful fast day for you?

Replies

• LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Staying at or close to the 500 calorie goal (sometimes I go over a little bit), feeling satisfied, eating enough protein and drinking a lot of fluids.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I feel too hungry if I don't eat something for breakfast.
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    2-3 cups of coffee first thing in the morning, exercise for about 1.5 hrs at around 7:30-8:00, dance class around noon (this is huge for me...I'm distracted, so I don't get hungry), come home and either have a diet Pepsi or a mug of miso soup, kids come home (again, this distracts me), pre-planned 500 calorie (or thereabouts) plant-based dinner at around 6, go to bed fairly early so I don't feel hunger pangs before bed. That is my perfect fast day. In addition, I would add lots of water throughout the day and lots of veggies at dinner. You get a lot of volume with veggies, so a big stir fry with a small amount of rice works well.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'll be following this thread so the more tips the better on what makes a fast day work for you. Thanks!
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I usually skip breakfast and have a moderate lunch and dinner on fast days for about 600 total calories. I also agree with finding I need two days in between fast days, so have been doing a Monday Thursday split for fast days. I also don't lift heavy or perform heavy exercise on those days.
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I find that fasted cardio is an appetite suppressant for me. Also I follow an 18:6 feeding schedule, so my body is used to eating all the calories at night.
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Bumping this up for some of the new folks and as a reminder to myself. :)
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Lots of distractions (thank you, internet!) and lots of fluid intake. Agree with flossyruby about big volumes of veggies. I prefer one 500 cal meal at family dinner time, including a square of dark chocolate for dessert. Remembering that the sensation of hunger passes. Being committed to a healthy lifestyle. Gratitude that I get to choose to fast rather than have it forced on me, and a better appreciation of how fortunate I have been.

Sanjo, thank you for the reminder that we have a choice about what, when, and how we eat. It's easy to get caught up in our personal struggles and forget that, really, we have no idea what struggle means as it pertains to food.

^^^well this was an excellent couple of posts!!!! Thank you @sanjoparolas and Kate for bumping!
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Bumping this up again. I need the reminder. :wink:
  • PaulRaymond
    PaulRaymond Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    2 boiled/scrambled eggs for breakfast, light soup for lunch and baked fish & veggies for dinner. So far (early days) not finding it too difficult.
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,964 Member
    Options
    Good post to bump!

Glad to hear things are going well for you @PaulRaymond :)

For me having a Light Day at around 500-550 and getting in a lot of water, green tea and some exercise. So far so good. Haven't had any "busts" where I have had to give up or I have really cheated.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Meghan509 wrote: »
    Good post to bump!

Glad to hear things are going well for you @PaulRaymond :)

For me having a Light Day at around 500-550 and getting in a lot of water, green tea and some exercise. So far so good. Haven't had any "busts" where I have had to give up or I have really cheated.

Thinking about having to do another fast day if I mess up my fast day keeps me on track ;)
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Bumping up again for the new folks! :)
  • sjgold123
    sjgold123 Posts: 133 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm just coming into wk 2 with a successful weigh so keep breakfast under 150 usually 2 eggs mushroom and spinach then miss lunch and have dinner around 300cal. My evening cup of tea is a must so i save cals for that. I remember why i'm doing it and my goals. Feeding children only slightly adapted version to ours (hubby doing too) as not to drool! Leaving table when they have dessert. Usually fish and veggies combo works. Hunger pangs come around 2/3pm but i push through appreciating we are fortunate/ have no idea what famine is and a full menu is a day away.
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Bumping this up again. It's a good reminder.