They are learning! "Rethinking Diabetes Nutrition" - article from Clinical Endocrinology News

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »

Came through just fine. Thx!

Yep, they are learning. It is definitely progress, but she still seems to have a bit of that "dumb it down for the dense diabetic" air about her.

It would be nice to hear a diabetes care provider/educator say,

"Here's the basic info, here are additional tools and info for people who are motivated to learn and do more, and here are some techniques for capturing their attention and getting them interested in the first place."
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I'll grant you that. If you're not motivated to keep your feet and eyes by the thought of not seeing your grandkids grow up, etc., then I don't suppose there's much to be done.

But for people who want something more than a "Keep Your Toes For Life" coloring book, genuine "educators" should be ready to rock!

(It took me 7 tries to find one - hooray! - and she says she's able to really grab a good 1/3 of her patients.. But she'd be charismatic in a morgue....}
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Bingo!

@_Sunny_Bunny_, you had a classic line a few months ago, something like,

"Who wouldn't eat a plate of horse poop every day if that's all they had to do to keep their legs or their eyeballs?"

We should all be glad for the technology and the few pennies it costs to stay on top of our BG. No idea how anyone gets by (or at least avoids insulin) without it!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, they may finally be getting some factors of diabetes management right, but as most of us know, nearly everything they said about cholesterol and fiber is not true for the majority of people. (goes to take ibuprofen and magnesium due to this article hurting her head)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Also, they may finally be getting some factors of diabetes management right, but as most of us know, nearly everything they said about cholesterol and fiber is not true for the majority of people. (goes to take ibuprofen and magnesium due to this article hurting her head)

( Except for the fiber part ;) )
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    @ KnitOrMiss. (I don't know how to do the @ thing.)

Back in the early 60's, my grandmother had a stroke, while in the hospital she was diagnosed diabetic, Adult onset. I was about 9 years old and read all the literature she brought home with her. She had a forbidden list that included carbs and salty foods, which she complied with. Modern days, I thought the pills did away with the carb restriction, but now know better.

Yes, there are people who, once told it is forbidden, will not comply. People still smoke. My step-grandchildren, two of which are type one, and in their late teens, are very rebellious. They do not adhere to their guidelines and smoke. What to do? They don't read on purpose, they just don't care. Maybe when they see their elders dropping dead left and right they might.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Yeah, great to have pills... IF they work! Hard to know that if you don't test, eh?

Our culture is a *kitten* mess.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The current guidelines that our Endo's nutritionist passes out are way too complicated. A little of this, a little that, weigh this, count that, more carbs are good, fat is bad. If her patients ate to their meter and individualized their own menu, she would be out of a job.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I LOVE using mindful coloring as a relaxing or refocusing thing, too, @RalfLott!!! Takes me back, for sure. I need to get my hands on one of the books with the ... ahem ... colorful metaphors in it! :smiley:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I LOVE using mindful coloring as a relaxing or refocusing thing, too, @RalfLott!!! Takes me back, for sure. I need to get my hands on one of the books with the ... ahem ... colorful metaphors in it! :smiley:

There are some fun ones out there now. They're great!

I personally went with a "creatures of Harry Potter" one. Unfortunately, I already colored the two instances of the phoenix, though. :(
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    As a type 1 diabetic who was told at age 10 by a CDE (Certified Diabetes Educator) that I had more training than most doctors on type 1 diabetes, I'm appalled at some of what I hear from type 2's. Much of my training can easily be transferred and applied to type 2 (I also am experienced with type 2 as I have had both for most of my life), and I can't believe it when I hear certain things. The diabetic care industry in some ways promotes incorrect thinking by promoting carbs (I see this literally all the time - for example, whole wheat is not better than white... it is all equally heavy carb and will raise BG just the same).
  • RalfLott
    Options

Hahaha. Really colorful!

It was by far the most memorable part of the trip!

Another small glimpse into the world of medical anthropology.....

(I may need to cook up a few good lines to send the office managers to scare them about the imminent and ruthlesd "Bring Back the Coloring Books" campaign that will follow if they don't act quickly.)
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    DED @ "go to diabetes jail"!

Still reading, brb
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Wait,, how do you test ketones with a blood meter!?!?!