STUPID DIABETES!!

Options
trish55011
trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
Well shoot fire dad-blame-it! Was feeling awesome, more energy and brain clarity than I have had in many years, all to be undone by low blood sugar. Took a little nap today, woke up and my sugar was 61, got down to 55 before I could get it to start coming back up again to 88. 1tbsp peanut butter, 1.5tbsp unsweetened applesauce, and my son force fed me harvest cheddar sun chips, 9 carbs worth. I haven't gone over 20g carbs, but I introduced sugar back into my liver. So disappointed right now I could cry. Will definitely adjust the diabetic meds on the morning.

Replies

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Have you checked in with your doctor recently? You may need to reduce (or eliminate) your medications, since your blood glucose is so low. That's an awesome situation to be in! Congrats!
  • trish55011
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Have you checked in with your doctor recently? You may need to reduce (or eliminate) your medications, since your blood glucose is so low. That's an awesome situation to be in! Congrats!

He has encouraged me with keto, (his idea actually) and has pretty much given me free rein with my meds for 30 days. I just have to keep a really close check on my numbers if I drop a med. I love my dr. He is absolutely awesome.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You're type 1? Glad you caught it before it got any lower.

9g of carbs is nothing. Don't worry. There is usually sugar in the liver. Just less of it at keto levels (as I understand it). You're doing fine. :)

I agree that you may need lower meds. Congrats. :)
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    trish55011 wrote: »
    MyriiStorm wrote: »

He has encouraged me with keto, (his idea actually) and has pretty much given me free rein with my meds for 30 days. I just have to keep a really close check on my numbers if I drop a med. I love my dr. He is absolutely awesome.

that is an awesome doctor! since starting keto I've dropped to diabetic meds and just use metformin now :) I hope to be med free at my keto-versary
  • trish55011
    Options
    @nvmomketo I am type 2.
  • trish55011
    Options
    @RalfLott , was symptomatic. Sweats, shaking, weakness... Then 6 hours later it dropped out on me again.
  • trish55011
    Options
    @genmon00, yes he is amazing!
  • trish55011
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ am type 2. Congratulations to your daughter! That is awesome.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo I am type 2.

Being T2, @RalfLott has a good point then. It's not uncommon for new low carbers, especially Keto, to see blood sugars in those ranges. Even non diabetic people. However, since you take insulin?, it was at least in part caused by meds and therefore has the potential to dip dangerously low.
    The difference would be if you were T1, because it would be more likely to have been caused by fast acting insulin and a falling bg in those circumstances can continue to fall very fast.
    My daughter will only correct a low if it's under 65 and falling, but she wears an insulin pump. Of course, she will suspend that. She has even been able to correct non urgent lows in those ranges by eating nuts. People that regularly experience lows can lose the ability to feel the symptoms, but in general the idea is that as long as you feel normal, the low isn't as much of an issue on Keto as when you are high carb because overall your bg will run a lot lower.
    Anyway, it sounds like you handled it just fine. Doctors typically say to treat with 15g carbs even if that's more than needed. You made the correction without overdoing it and those few carbs shouldn't be an issue.
    It might help to have glucose tablets or smarties around for corrections. Something that can fix it quick but not be a temptation at the same time. And then you won't have to eat grains as part of the correction. I guess I'm assuming you don't eat grains though... lol
    My wheat bias is showing
  • trish55011
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_, I don't take insulin. That's why I'm doing keto, so that I can get off all diabetic meds, and not have to start using insulin. Since starting keto (until yesterday) have eaten no grains at all, and had no refined sugar. Carbs were coming from spinach and other low carb veggies. My tummy was happy. I think I may have mild gluten intolerance. So I don't want to eat grains, pasta, etc. Glucose levels were a mess yesterday. I did have symptoms when it dropped on me. The bad thing is it dropped on me again 6 hours later. So today I have only taken my glyburide metforman. May have to break it on down and just do one in the morning and one in the evening. Hopefully soon I will be able to come off all together.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_, I don't take insulin. That's why I'm doing keto, so that I can get off all diabetic meds, and not have to start using insulin. Since starting keto (until yesterday) have eaten no grains at all, and had no refined sugar. Carbs were coming from spinach and other low carb veggies. My tummy was happy. I think I may have mild gluten intolerance. So I don't want to eat grains, pasta, etc. Glucose levels were a mess yesterday. I did have symptoms when it dropped on me. The bad thing is it dropped on me again 6 hours later. So today I have only taken my glyburide metforman. May have to break it on down and just do one in the morning and one in the evening. Hopefully soon I will be able to come off all together.

If I understand your post, you are taking a combined metformin/glyburide pill? Ask your doc for a separate script for each of them and try dropping/halving the glyburide. I went too low (Glu and BP) on Jardiance and dropped it. This is why I do not like combined pills. Isn't this diet (oops WOE) amazing? My fasting this morn was 83, compared to the 140's before diet.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott , was symptomatic. Sweats, shaking, weakness... Then 6 hours later it dropped out on me again.

Uh-oh. Sorry, my bad! :o That can't have been fun!

What other med(s) were you taking at the time, other than glyburide + metformin?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    When first switching to low carb, it might be a good idea to decrease or eliminate Metformin use. After a couple months - once you are fat adapted - you can revisit taking it (if you are very low carb, fat adapted, and regularly in ketosis; you likely will find that you do not need it).
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @trish55011 you are lucky to have such a doctor. Being diagnosed T2 only a year ago and it still being early (A1c = 6.6), I only ever took Metformin. At the time, I was totally unaware of Keto, but it just made logical sense for me to cut carbs way more than what my doc was saying and sure enough, I was off Metformin and down to 5.9 in less than 6 months. My mistake was then following the ADA recommendations for carbs and it went back up to 6.2.

I just started really getting to understand Keto and see it is very near what I was doing on my own initially, and am now getting fasting readings in the mid to low 90's from around 110 in just a few days. Also, after meal readings (1 and 2 hour) have all been under 100.

I was offered Metformin at the last appointment and declined.

Keep it up. Sounds like you will be be off your meds before you know it.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    When first switching to low carb, it might be a good idea to decrease or eliminate Metformin use. After a couple months - once you are fat adapted - you can revisit taking it (if you are very low carb, fat adapted, and regularly in ketosis; you likely will find that you do not need it).

Hmm. I'm not sure I would recommend dumping Metformin cold turkey, unless you're able to meet all your BG goals without it, especially considering the first few months of LCHF will be full of trial & error anyhow.

But I would suggest switching to name-brand Glucophage (more consistent from batch to batch and more potent) and perhaps reducing the daily dose while carefully monitoring your BG (I still test up to 10x daily 8 months after starting LCHF).
  • GlitterRayne
    GlitterRayne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Stupid diabetes indeed!! I am T2 and my doctor has just taken me off of the glipizide. I am currently still on my metformin for the time being but she said that she wants me to monitor my bg closely to see if I need it anymore. I was seeing bg in the 60's and feeling gross.
    Sounds like you have a great doctor and just keep working with him/her to get everything under control.
    I would not worry about the carbs when having a low bg episode. Just get back to your way of eating after :)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Stupid diabetes indeed!! I am T2 and my doctor has just taken me off of the glipizide. I am currently still on my metformin for the time being but she said that she wants me to monitor my bg closely to see if I need it anymore. I was seeing bg in the 60's and feeling gross.
    Sounds like you have a great doctor and just keep working with him/her to get everything under control.
    I would not worry about the carbs when having a low bg episode. Just get back to your way of eating after :)

Awesome. Congrats on your progress!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Hmm. I'm not sure I would recommend dumping Metformin cold turkey, unless you're able to meet all your BG goals without it, especially considering the first few months of LCHF will be full of trial & error anyhow.

But I would suggest switching to name-brand Glucophage (more consistent from batch to batch and more potent) and perhaps reducing the daily dose while carefully monitoring your BG (I still test up to 10x daily 8 months after starting LCHF).

I'm not sure what dose OP is taking, or how much time passed from a BG of 62 to 55, but Metformin slows down introduction of glycogen. During early stages of LCHF, BG is heavily subsidized by glycogen in order to maintain normal levels because glycogen is available quickly when glucose from carbs is not available. Subsequent to starting LCHF and prior to becoming fat adapted, glucose from fat conversion is going to come slowly. In the early transition stages, glycogen may be (in OP's case, BG evidence shows it is - for others, "may be") necessary, depending of course on carb intake (both amount and timing) and physical activity (both intensity and timing). If OP experienced a quickly declining BG during / after a normal day (both for carbs and physical activity), then she is taking too much Metformin to allow sufficient glycogen supplementation. If that is true, she should at least decrease the Metformin dose, and may need to eliminate it entirely to avoid future hypoglycemic instances.