Lab work-blood tests etc and an interesting article

Options
LINIA
LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
Hello Everyone, i was scared of this WOE (the high fat) but obviously kept at it and have lost almost to goal:

Blood Sugar 115 to 85
Blood Pressure 137/90 to 110/70
Cholesterol from 190 to 237
Weight approx 135 to 120

Knees & legs still hurt but recovery is quicker and arthitis flares up less often; those are benefits from losing weight.

My Dr and his Assistants couldn't stop staring, no questions but "it showed" in their faces.

This article is kinda long, but worth reading:

http://www.outsideonline.com/2113406/high-carb-low-fat-ketone-diet

Thanks to you guys on this forum for the help and advice.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Good article. Covered a bit of everything and certainly includes names of many in the forefront of keto research.
  • sceleste54
    sceleste54 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great results!! Did your total cholesterol actually go up or did those values get turned around?
  • LINIA
    Options
    @sceleste54 YES--total cholesterol went up quite a bit, i am concerned but won't give up butter or bacon. Was thinking of trying olive oil with heavy cream in decaf coffee...would it taste as good as the Irish butter?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    @sceleste54 YES--total cholesterol went up quite a bit, i am concerned but won't give up butter or bacon. Was thinking of trying olive oil with heavy cream in decaf coffee...would it taste as good as the Irish butter?

Yeah...but what is the breakdown on that? My total was technically high. But my HDL was 103. And trigs were 39. It's the HDL/trig ratio that is indicative of heart disease risk, not total cholesterol. My ratio is pristine, and in absence of the LDL particle size count, which is what actually tells you anything at all important about your LDL number, I don't need to worry. It isn't that uncommon for LDL to increase temporarily. LDL becomes more present in the blood during weight loss. Fat is being released. It makes sense. Over time, unless you are a member of an outlier subset of the population, your LDL will go back down. Your HDL should raise; trigs should decrease. But even if your LDL remains elevated, that doesn't mean that's bad. There are 2 types of LDL, the difference in particle size and density is where it's at. The normal test doesn't even bother examining that at all. Some LDL (the large, low-density variety) is benign. It's the small, dense particles that lodge in wall tears in the arteries and vessels and cause the plaque build up. Low-carbers usually end up with a change in their LDL composition to have more of the benign stuff and less of the bad.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If you subscribed to the Keto Summit, consider listening to the talk by Ivor Cummins during replay period of October 5&6. His words regarding cholesterol levels as an indicator of heart disease were "hogwash".

He discussed how the focus on cholesterol has changed from total cholesterol, to looking at HDL and LDL, to LDL particle sizes and the ongoing change in focus is an effort to allow the "powers that be" to continue to say they have been "right" all these years regarding cholesterol.

My interpretation of what he further indicated is ratios of Total to HDL and HDL to Tri is important AS RELATED TO Insulin Resistance. He went on to build a case for more studies/research on insulin and how that won't occur because the force of economics drive medical research.

His well made facetious/sarcastic point as I heard it: don't focus on insulin resistance. LET people become insulin resistant and sell the drugs. There is considerable $ generated regarding the sale of of drugs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. :) And nice article. Thanks for sharing it.
  • LINIA
    Options
    @baconslave will get the breakdown and post here, don't have right now

@kpk54 You're right about that, my GP isn't at all concerned about the higher#, I don't like knowing it went up but it's certainly not a problem that was mentioned by my Dr.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »

Don't know, but perhaps try an infused olive oil...that is to say and olive oil which has been infused with some other herb or flavor of something that you like.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Interesting article from Oxford Uni on exogenic ketones to increase blood ketone levels while also decreasing cholesterol and triglycerides:
    https://dpag.ox.ac.uk/publications/639582

Work coauthored by Kieran Clarke PhD, Professor of Physiological Biochemistry
    She has an interview on Ketosummit.com (Free replays on Oct 5th & 6th)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Interesting article from Oxford Uni on exogenic ketones to increase blood ketone levels while also decreasing cholesterol and triglycerides:
    https://dpag.ox.ac.uk/publications/639582

Work coauthored by Kieran Clarke PhD, Professor of Physiological Biochemistry
    She has an interview on Ketosummit.com (Free replays on Oct 5th & 6th)

<refresh>