Getting ahead...

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since calories is per gram weight, not volume - you might spot check some of your common food items especially that have decent calories in them.

Broccoli 1 cup or 50 g - eh, who cares about 10 calories miscalc.

Peanut butter 2 tbsp or 32 g - weeeellll, easy to hit 100 calories over.

So just recommending that sort of spot check.
  • jvezzsb01
    jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Going to only add that cheese is another one to check. 5 grams of Parmesan cheese is a bit less than you might think, at least I thought so when I weighed it. Same with cheddar, I can accidentally pack quite a bit more than the actual serving in a 1/4, 1/2 cup, you name it. ;)
  • jvezzsb01
    jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    empressichel- that is hilarious! I love it. :)
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha @empressicheal its just like i used to taste food and would eat about half the serving before measuring it :D
  • ibtmas
    Options
    i have bought ON Gold Standard 100% whey protien for days i may not be able to get much protien. is this a good one? plz suggest.
    also i am not able to upload its pic from my android mobile. :(
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I don't know that Brand, but as long as it tastes good and your stomach doesn't get bothered by it, it works.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    There are so many different types and kinds of protein powders. A lot comes down to personal preference, so if you don't like one. Try another.. find one that works for you and fits the needs you have.
    For me, I buy mine fro Costco because I like the price and the powder tastes just fine to me:)

Kelly
    Em2WL Ambassador and Moderator.
  • ibtmas
    Options
    Hello everyone.... am back with some progress and doubts!
    I completed my 12 weeks of eating at maintainence and my weight stabilized at 86 kgs at the start of jan when i lowered 100 from 2400 cals.so 2300 got to be my tdee. (somewhere between lightly active and moderately active)i really enjoyed eating at maintenance and not gaining.i increaded my numbers in weights from 16lbs to 24lbs for lower body and 8 to 16lbs for upper body. i can feel the strength while working out specially while doing push ups ;) though the scale weight stayed constant inches stayed the same too.
    I started a 10% cut which makes 2100 two weeks back,added a HIIT session between the 3 days strength workout/week and every week i have reduced an inch from my waist around the navel. i didnt measure but i can say that i've lost fr everywhere else too!! i can "feel" my self reversing back fr where i started (i've gained 11 kgs during my reset).
    The question is am i doing it all right? coz even though i ve lost inches the scale has not moved a bit neither left nor right! although i'm not much concerned about it but i was just curious to know if i'm on the right track. Should i lower my cals to 15% cut or stay at 10% cut for the next 4 weeks? i know its my first cut so i should not be expecting much rather i decide to be eating at maintenance maybe after 4 weeks of first cut and then will go for a second one later.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I reckon you're doing it perfectly! Don't worry about the lack of scale movement when the other measurements are moving in a positive direction. You might experience a "woosh" when it just decides to release from your body. Or maybe drop calories further down the track. I remember reading somewhere that it might even take a few cut seasons for the scales to move much. I can't remember where or when though, so I'd best stand back now and let someone who knows what they're talking about have some input!
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Following you very closely!! First day of cut for me yesterday, so I am curious about how it's all going to play out.
    It is pretty awesome eating at maintenance and not gaining a thing... hoping this 10% cut won't have me hangry
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What's with my post getting cut off....? After I talked all about me, I wrote something like: it sounds like you are doing a marvellous job, don't let the scale discourage you. You are winning in so many other ways, your measurements, your increase in weights. Keep going!
  • ibtmas
    Options
    Thankyou @zanyzana and @firefly0606 for your encouragement! and yes! i forgot to mention that these # are for each hand as i'm working out at home using dumbells and bodyweight excersices.
    i hope to continue to see results though!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So you found your estimated TDEE at 2100 for the level of activity you were doing during that time.

Then you took a deficit.

And at the same time, you added an additional workouts - which increased your TDEE.

So you already have a bigger deficit than 10% - unknown what it is exactly because you don't really know what your estimated TDEE is with additional workouts.

That bigger deficit and harder workouts could be slowing down your daily activity outside exercise enough.

Congrats on progress you've gotten though. Really is great steps, and good reset.

But I would suggest - if you are doing lifting - skip the HIIT.

True HIIT is as close as you can get to a lifting style workout doing cardio (all out effort, rest, repeat - just like sets and reps).
    That's why it's been found to have a good response for burning fat like lifting - because it's close. But not as close.

The problem is, if you are using the same muscles in the HIIT as in the lifting, 1 day after another - you have just impacted your ability to recover, and to have a truly hard workout.

A good workout tears the body down.
    It's the rest for recovery and repair that can build it back up, perhaps stronger.

If you just love HIIT and want to do it - you'd be better served doing it after the lifting with whatever energy you got left. Tear the body down all on one day.
    Then walk on rest day, merely to get blood flowing to aid recovery.

If the HIIT muscle group is not the same as what was used in lifting the day before or after - then limited impact except your energy level.
  • ibtmas
    Options
    @heybales Good point. Thanx for adding in.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If the inches are decreasing and the scale is staying the same your are absolutely golden! Fat loss, baby! <3
    But, you did say you added in a new HIIT session, which then increase your TDEE, which then increase your cut.
    Try not to through everything at your cut straight out of the gate, I know it's tempting after your patience with reset.
    Keep the HIIT if you love it, but know that you don't NEED it for fat loss. And if you do keep it, increase that cut number or your deficit will be too steep.
    Sounds like you are doing really, really well though! Congrats!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • ibtmas
    Options
    So should i skip the hiit i added in and keep doing strength 3x? well, the inches i lost seem to come back the third week (maybe some water retention) and not any significant change i see. i'm consistent with my macros and fiber though. i think i will keep at cut one more week and get back to maintenence.
  • empressichel
    Options
    Definitely keep the strength. You can keep the HIIT too if you like it but know it isn't necessary for fat loss.
    If you do keep it, adjust your calories up to accommodate the extra workout.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • ibtmas
    Options
    After my first cut of 5 weeks( including a rest week),i am at my maintenance week now. from Monday i'll be starting my second cut. Being consistent while ditching the scale!
  • empressichel
    Options
    ibtmas wrote: »
    After my first cut of 5 weeks( including a rest week),i am at my maintenance week now. from Monday i'll be starting my second cut. Being consistent while ditching the scale!

Woo hoo! Awesome!
    How does it feel?
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL