HbA1c tests - 1 in 3 have "significant errors"

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
Making the HbA1c Value More Accurate
New approach reduces significant errors from about one in three to about one in 10. :o
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/making-the-hba1c-value-more-accurate

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Interesting but my DH would not go for surgery implant of the device and removing it after the 3 weeks.

But this does point out that some drs. know that the a1c is not terribly accurate. It is just the best tool they currently have available.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Here's some interesting information I have read about from other sources as well.
    http://bjjcaveman.com/2013/03/04/the-effects-of-nutritional-ketosis-on-hba1c/

This could also help explain why @cstehansen A1c went up even though eating keto.

Basically, our red blood cells live longer than our sugar burning friends, so they get more glycated simply because it's accumulative and the longer living cells will collect more over the longer time.

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @RalfLott & @Sunny_Bunny_. I have already gone down some of the rabbit holes from these. Here are a couple of good quotes so far:

“If you’re following a low-carb diet, fasting blood sugars in the 90s and even low 100s may not be a problem, provided your A1c and post-meal blood sugars are within the normal range.”

“On average, erythrocyte life span decreased by ∼6.9 days for every 1.0% increase in GHb.”

"Assuming that glycation occurs at a linear rate over the erythrocyte life span, GHb values of 12–15% would be increased by ∼50% when corrected for a normal erythrocyte life span (see Eq. 3), i.e., these values would have been ∼18 to ∼22.5%, respectively, if the hyperglycemia had not induced a 35% reduction in erythrocyte life span."

Overall, it seems the inaccuracies in these may be more on the end of if you have high A1c, it is likely really higher than being indicated. Although the comment about fasting BG for LC people is quite interesting because I did notice mine initially dropped, but then went back up to around 102 average once in ketosis full-time. That is still lower than the 115 it had been.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    If a red blood cells live longer does that mean we make them at a slower rate now?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    If a red blood cells live longer does that mean we make them at a slower rate now?

Yes. Based on what I read, your body keeps the same number all the time and only replace as needed.