Study - Eating dinner early, or skipping it, may be effective in fighting body fat >sniff<

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
Read & weep...
The first human test of early time-restricted feeding found that this meal-timing strategy reduced swings in hunger and altered fat and carb burning patterns, which may help with losing weight. In early time-restricted feeding (eTRF), people eat their last meal by the mid-afternoon and don’t eat again until breakfast the next morning.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161103091229.htm

T2Ds - Any thoughts on the following dilemma?

If eTRF works for you, but (per Dr. Bernstein) as a T2D, more bulk consumed in one sitting will raise your glucose and trigger insulin release (even if the additional bulk consists of sand :s ) and more than ~30g of protein at a time will independently do the same......

What's the optimal strategy? Eat 4 light meals during work release hours, then go back into lockdown from 5:00pm till 7:00 am the next morning ?

Fooey, IMHO.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    First, thanks for the link. My thoughts:

- I would be interested in seeing if it is the time of day vs the length of fasting time meaning would they get the same results by skipping breakfast and having an 11a-7p or 12p-8p eating schedule.
    - While on a mission trip to Columbia last month, I did switch up my IF schedule a couple of days to 6a-2p and it did help my morning fasting BG. I also had absolutely no problem not eating dinner even though I went to dinner with a group of people. This was huge for me given I typically will eat just because food is available. However, I had no problem just sitting there with my water while everyone else was eating. I was not able to test throughout the day or after my two meals as I normally would, however, so I am not sure about your question regarding the larger meals early in the day. While on my current 11a-7p schedule, I am not seeing big spikes by jamming all my calories into two meals and a snack right now. My total calories for these is average about 3200 with about half being that first meal. Even with that my 1 and 2 hour PP readings are rarely over 100.
    - I think the benefit to switching to eTRF is that the feeding times are such that there is activity afterwards so the calories consumed are burned without being stored. When we eat later in the day, there is no way to burn that before going to bed for most of us, so we will have some of it go into storage. This is why I eat almost half my calories in my first meal and about a quarter mid afternoon and a little more than a quarter at dinner. I would like to not be storing much overnight.
    - I really think the take away of this is the extended daily fast is effective because of forcing our bodies to burn fat regardless of what food is eaten. Even if they are eating too many carbs, once you get over 10-12 hours of fasting, your body has to get most of its energy from fat. This does help your body with its metabolic flexibility which will reduce hunger.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @cstehansen - Thanks for the insights!

I have tended to stop eating mid-evening and skip breakfast, but I think I'll try to find out whether shifting the chow window a bit earlier might be effective in leveling the dawn effect.
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have found naturally that is true for me. Although so far earliest I have cut of eating is 4 and gone 16 hours until breakfast. Aspiring to cut off at 2.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I have found naturally that is true for me. Although so far earliest I have cut of eating is 4 and gone 16 hours until breakfast. Aspiring to cut off at 2.

Have you noticed any difference in your morning blood glucose on those days?
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I actually do t monitor it.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I actually do t monitor it.

So... have you noticed any benefit of a particular timing scheme?
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Read & weep...
    The first human test of early time-restricted feeding found that this meal-timing strategy reduced swings in hunger and altered fat and carb burning patterns, which may help with losing weight. In early time-restricted feeding (eTRF), people eat their last meal by the mid-afternoon and don’t eat again until breakfast the next morning.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161103091229.htm

T2Ds - Any thoughts on the following dilemma?

If eTRF works for you, but (per Dr. Bernstein) as a T2D, more bulk consumed in one sitting will raise your glucose and trigger insulin release (even if the additional bulk consists of sand :s ) and more than ~30g of protein at a time will independently do the same......

What's the optimal strategy? Eat 4 light meals during work release hours, then go back into lockdown from 5:00pm till 7:00 am the next morning ?

Fooey, IMHO.

Umm, do you know your describing the way Midwesterners have eaten for eons?? Supper at 5 p.m., up at some un-Godly hour to get ready for work (DH is up at 4:30 a.m. for his day shifts and I was up between 5 and 6 a.m. for my job). We're usually in bed by 9, lol. There was a joke on the old "Frasier" show when Roz's mom came to visit in Seattle about how Roz was keeping her on "Wisconsin" time so they were having dinner at 5. So I guess I've been practicing eTRF for a long time. I'm insulin resistant and came within one test of being dxd TD2 before I found keto. I think it might have been all those carbs and low fat foods I consumed over the last 25 years rather than my meal timing.

By the way, how long have you been in jail?? >:)

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 3 meals a day, sometimes two and I keep them evenly sized. As a T2 diabetic I've always tried to avoid a big dinner specifically to better manage my BG. The last thing I need to do is eat a ton of food and then lie down for 8 hours, my body would have no hope of processing any glucose. But I would struggle to skip dinner or eat too early because dinnertime is when my husband and I hang out together and I'm not ready to prepare a meal and sit down to watch someone else eat it while I twiddle my thumbs.

However, that being said, my BG tends to recover from a meal most quickly at night and slowest in the morning and my breakfast is as close to zero carbs as I can get with 1 tbsp double cream in my coffee, eggs and bacon. In fact even if I just have coffee it still goes up in the morning.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    In fact even if I just have coffee it still goes up in the morning.

Doesn't everyone's BG rise in the morning, regardless of food intake?
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Combination of rebound hyperglycemia from overnight hypoglycemia (somogyi effect), morning hyperglycemia from overnight growth hormone surge (anti insulin like effect, dawn phenomenon), and rise in morning cortisol (glucocorticoid)...yes hormones can out do fasting. Unless you sleep during the day
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    In fact even if I just have coffee it still goes up in the morning.

Doesn't everyone's BG rise in the morning, regardless of food intake?

Not everyone experiences Dawn phenomenon and that's not exactly what's occurring with me. I usually wake up at about 6am and my BG is just fine and I eat breakfast and/or just drink coffee 2-3 hours later and by 10 am my BG will have risen higher than it will after any other meal I eat (though not excessively high, just higher than lunch or dinner). DP usually happens overnight or first thing in the morning and I don't hit a point of hypoglycaemia, so it's not the somogyi effect. I jokingly refer to it as my mid-morning phenomenon. It doesn't happen if I don't eat or drink anything other than water or black coffee, so it's definitely a reaction to the food or cream.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Since being diagnosed T2 in 2007, I've always had a raging high FBG (sometimes as high as in the 200s even on drugs). It's still high (imo) around 170-190 but that's not any drugs, just keto.

I don't have very many "rules" for myself on keto, but one of them is that I do not eat anything past ~7 p.m.-ish. Period. I have had to let that rule slide a few times (like, 3, in the past year) due to uncontrollable circumstances (dinner guest at someone else's home, dining out post-holiday shopping with sis, being busy and losing track of the time and deciding I need to eat something). And there are days when I would fat-fast and only have BP coffee with the tiniest splash of HWC and mainly butter+ coconut oil and nothing til 1 or 2 p.m. Those days, combined with the stopping dinner by 7-ish, I think, have really helped me lose the most and feel the best.

I still like to reserve space in my tummy for a big dinner, but my idea of a big dinner is a huge salad mostly of lettuce or some other almost-no-carbs green leafy veg, along with celery, cucumber, or some other very filling but low-cal and low-carb stuffs, and a few fatty things, vs. a lot of protein. My heaviest meal tends to be breakfast, still very small on the carbs (I aim for no more than 5), but big on calories, mostly from fat.