caffeine, cortisol and blood glucose

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
So at my last Dr appointment, one of the points of conversation got me thinking. I had previously dropped my A1c from 6.6 to 5.9. Then it edged up to 6.2, and now is at 6.3. He asked what I was doing different in the last 3 months compared to the 4 month period where it dropped so much. At first, all I could think was I was lower carb then (30% calories or so) and am keto now. That didn't make sense.

One of the topics was stress and cortisol. I don't think stress per se is the issue, but it got me thinking.

I used to drink about 100 oz of Diet Dr Pepper a day. I quit it completely for the 4 months in question. When I brought it back in, and saw my BG rising, I assumed I was one of those who reacted poorly to artificial sweeteners so I quit that again.

I had also read coffee consumption has a correlation with lower risk of T2D, so I started drinking coffee.

In doing some research, I see that caffeine can elevate cortisol (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2257922/) and that cortisol elevates BG (https://dtc.ucsf.edu/types-of-diabetes/type2/understanding-type-2-diabetes/how-the-body-processes-sugar/blood-sugar-other-hormones/).

There is apparently a gene associated with being either a fast caffeine metabolizer or a slow one. This could affect whether the caffeine is a positive or negative by individual.

Now I am wondering if it was the caffeine in the Diet Dr Pepper and not the artificial sweeteners that was messing with my BG readings. With that in mind, I am doing some n=1 experiments by having no caffeine for at least a month. Apparently, I am not a caffeine addict as I have gone from 6 large cups a day to 0 with no issues.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience or info on this.

Replies

• VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Gene mutations of CYP1A2 (major caffeine substrate) are not as common as 2C9, 2C19, or 2D6 mutations. Well, putting yourself in a sympathetic state can raise your BG although this is short lived once you utilize it from running away from your typical grizzly bear. I think the best way to assess this individually would be monitoring fasted BG upon waking (dawn phenomenon) while tracking caffeine intake whilst somehow ruling out of variables that lead to stress (n=1 indeed).

Further confounding would be accounting for volume loss (mild diuretic) effect from caffeine on rising BG.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen how are you doing on the "no caffeine" experiment? Any noticeable changes?

I'm curious because my BG numbers have been up a bit, and I am under huge amounts of stress at the moment. But I think giving up caffeine would just make matters worse for me. It would definitely be dangerous for those around me! :D
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I didn't see any decline at all and possibly a small increase for my pre-lunch reading. The variance was so minor I reintroduced coffee back into my normal morning routine.

The stress management and supplements seem to have my readings on a downward trend. I posted a screenshot in my other thread about my Dr appointment with the LCHF friendly doc showing it.

The plan now is to not do any other n=1 until it levels off. If it isn't low enough at that point, I have a couple more ideas to try.
  • caroldutton
    caroldutton Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of coffee myself and wondered if the caffeine causes high blood sugar? I am new to this as I have just been diagnosed with Type2 Diabetes. Doctor has me on low carbs, oral medication, and exercise for now, and my head is spinning. Help!
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've always had normal BP. I don't know if caffeine affects my BG but it sure affects my BP. My BP is usually 110/70 but can go lower too. I started having BPC and I started feeling pretty bad. I took my BP and was astonished to see it at 145/95. I was ONLY having 1 cup a day. Quit the coffee and started feeling much better while BP started to return to normal.

Hubby and I love BPC so we decided to try decaf. Same thing started to happen. So we're going to have to figure out a different drink for our morning BPC (hmmm, maybe that can stand for BPCacao, heh). Anyway, I love the taste of coffee but for my husband and I, it really affects our overall health and isn't worth it. While researching online, I also read that caffeine often raises LDL cholesterol. I guess I'm just sharing this in case others need to check this out. When I was younger it didn't bother me but caffeine sure does now, sigh.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking high test coffee in 2000 per neurologist's suggestion. Best thing I ever did. Decaf doesn't bother me though. Chocolate does. Keeps me awake.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of coffee myself and wondered if the caffeine causes high blood sugar? I am new to this as I have just been diagnosed with Type2 Diabetes. Doctor has me on low carbs, oral medication, and exercise for now, and my head is spinning. Help!

Welcome Carol, be sure to read the sticky at the top of the Group's web page on diabetes, lots of GREAT info in that thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10482542/diabetic-discussions#latest
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Interesting! I wonder if this messes with me. My A1C is still a little closer to prediabetes range than I'd like. (Or at least, it was. Last A1C check was in March; I'm due for another next month.) I drink about 32-40 oz of coffee a day.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Something I read recently said that the reason we get a boost from caffeine is that it causes our muscles to metabolize and release glycogen, giving us a sugar boost. I guess that is why many body builders enjoy using it before workouts? Boost, tear down, repair, build strength?

It also immediately transported me to the image of online games and gallons of mountain dew or jolt color, slowing gaining weight from sitting around gaming all night... (Ask me where that image comes from? My 20's with a healthy dose of Doctor Demento's songs... LOL) A compilation video, but seems to be the part of Part 1 I remember: https://youtube.com/watch?v=VPvLykRfSi0
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I should cut out caffeine again as an experiment. For my entire adult life when I've had too much caffeine ( I come from a long line of proud espresso drinkers) I will notice an ache in my shoulders, wrist, heightened anxiety...etc. However, I've begun to get those symptoms again with just a single cup o joe in the morning. I've never been a soda drinker so my Caffeine comes exclusively from coffee/espresso. I wonder if the symptoms I'm experiencing are attributable to something else. Eliminating the caffeine for a bit might help me nail it down.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Doctor Demento's songs... LOL) ]

@KnitOrMiss

Omg....We used to listen to Doctor Demento on the radio when I was a kid.....Never missed it.