Well, Gaining Slowly Like I Lost It At The End... Why???

Options
Okay, a big hello to everyone. Hadn't been on here in awhile. I am still doing good as far as the WOE goes. The only thing I am not sure what is going on. I know you all say don't go by the scale. But we do have "Weigh In Wednesday" here. I know we don't constantly watch it. Towards the end of my 35 pound loss, I was losing weight almost everyday still, even if it was slowly. Half a pound here, quarter pound there. Finally, got down to 220. Now, it is creeping up slowly. I was 220 Monday morning and this morning, I was 221.8. Most of you will say no big deal. And I am not stressing too much over it. But, I am trying to figure out what I am doing different or wrong. I will list the things, and if you all could narrow it down to the ones that might be the culprit. Wife is going through the same thing, but she is losing faith here.
Just not that hungry anymore. If not hungry how do I get the fats in?
Not eating enough fat. Probably more on the protein, but not super high.
Drinking more like 50-60 ounces of water instead of my usual close to 100 ounces.
Eating a piece of keto cheesecake on the regular, not every night but still. Could it be the almond flour in the crust? Even though this cheesecake is a good way to get the fat in.
Almond flour? Also, had Butter Bob's chili the other night with some type of keto muffin... like cornbread, but not.

Any ideas?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    if you've cut your water consumption in half, then my first guess would be water retention - 2lbs of water is very easy to put on, I can swing as much as 5lbs easily overnight if I change my workout schedule or eat something salty (or if that time of the month is pending)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    MOST IMPORTANT: If you are not hungry, you do NOT need to get the fats in as you can pull the fats from your storage. Stay below on carbs, meet your protein and only eat fats to satiety. NEVER, EVER feel like you have to eat more fats just to get them in as long as you are trying to lose weight. Your body does not care from where it gets the fats. Let it come from storage.

Additionally, make sure what you are eating is nutritional. Just because it fits the macros does not mean you are getting the micronutrients needed.

Finally, @tcunbeliever is correct about the water. Make sure you get enough. You should have a MINIMUM of 1/2 oz for every lb of body weight if you are sedentary. At 220, that would be 110 oz. If you are exercising, that number needs to go up. One thing that tends to get people to be low on water is drinking too many other things. Even if they are zero calorie (i.e. diet sodas), they are not generally a good replacement for water.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    In one of your last Topics I recall you said you quit keeping a food diary. If that was you and that is correct, start tracking your food intake again.
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Nah, I am a water guy 98% of the time. The other 2% is tea or coffee. This info helps. Thanks folks.
  • collegefbfan
    Options
    Wow!! Pic tells a lot!! Wife will certainly be impressed. Okay about the eating protein to meet them. If I do this and protein is over a safe amount, won't this cause kidney stress or turn to carbs? Or something like that.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Pic tells a lot!! Wife will certainly be impressed. Okay about the eating protein to meet them. If I do this and protein is over a safe amount, won't this cause kidney stress or turn to carbs? Or something like that.

Keto has been shown to actually reverse kidney damage in diabetics who have had renal failure due to their diabetes.

As far as "too much" protein, Dr Nally talked a bit about this on a recent episode of Keto Talk. Basically, IF you have kidney failure, protein does not process properly. Excess protein does not CAUSE kidney failure. Here is another article on high protein in your diet in regard to causing disease:

https://chriskresser.com/do-high-protein-diets-cause-kidney-disease-and-cancer/

Protein is converted to glucose (gluconeogenesis or GNG) on an as needed basis. This is much slower than eating carbs, as the protein is absorbed into the system in the intestines (further along than carbs), and your body can only absorb around 5-10g per hour (I wish I could find the article I just read on that rate to make sure I got it right). Anyway, the body absorbs the protein fairly slowly. What is needed for building/repairing is used. Then there is "short-term" storage in the form of protein until the proper level is attained. Then and only then the protein can be converted to glucose IF needed.

All that said, this is why too much protein will cause an insulin/BG response, but much slower than eating carbs. How much is too much is very individual. Everyone needs at least 0.8g per kg of lean body mass even if they just sit on the couch all day. The more active you are, the more you need. I am sure there are genetic differences are a factor. Diabetes/IR are a factor.

I haven't seen anything that claim anything lower than 1.5 g per kg of body weight as a maximum. There are some keto groups that actually push numbers much higher as not just ok, but desirable.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Keto has been shown to actually reverse kidney damage in diabetics who have had renal failure due to their diabetes.

As far as "too much" protein, Dr Nally talked a bit about this on a recent episode of Keto Talk. Basically, IF you have kidney failure, protein does not process properly. Excess protein does not CAUSE kidney failure. Here is another article on high protein in your diet in regard to causing disease:

https://chriskresser.com/do-high-protein-diets-cause-kidney-disease-and-cancer/

Protein is converted to glucose (gluconeogenesis or GNG) on an as needed basis. This is much slower than eating carbs, as the protein is absorbed into the system in the intestines (further along than carbs), and your body can only absorb around 5-10g per hour (I wish I could find the article I just read on that rate to make sure I got it right). Anyway, the body absorbs the protein fairly slowly. What is needed for building/repairing is used. Then there is "short-term" storage in the form of protein until the proper level is attained. Then and only then the protein can be converted to glucose IF needed.

All that said, this is why too much protein will cause an insulin/BG response, but much slower than eating carbs. How much is too much is very individual. Everyone needs at least 0.8g per kg of lean body mass even if they just sit on the couch all day. The more active you are, the more you need. I am sure there are genetic differences are a factor. Diabetes/IR are a factor.

I haven't seen anything that claim anything lower than 1.5 g per kg of body weight as a maximum. There are some keto groups that actually push numbers much higher as not just ok, but desirable.

I am one of the people in the latter group, but that has more to do with strength training than anything. On one hand, I have waifs and elderly doctors telling me that "too much protonz bad for teh keto" and "the human body only needs 0.9747473846g of protonz per lbs. of lbm, divided by the square root of the length of your hair in centimeters". On the other, I have centuries of extremely large, and absurdly strong men who consumed more protein in a day, than said waifs and doctors do in a week, with little regard for theh other two macros either way. I've seen low-carb monsters and low-fat beasts. I've never seen a low (or even "recommended intake") protein person who wasn't a physical embarrassment compared to even the strongmen who were around before steroids were even a thing. So yeah, I'll go with door number two.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    this - https://authoritynutrition.com/15-reasons-not-losing-weight-on-a-low-carb-diet/

But in my (4 years) experience with Keto - the two main reasons are too many carbs and eating too much. Sounds from your post above that your eating is not as tight as it could be. I know that last year when I stopped tracking for a while (after surgery) I was still eating what I considered strict Keto but I gained weight. I was eating too much. The only way you'll work it out is to weigh and track everything you stick in your mouth for a period of time and identify the issue.
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    but it's only 1.8 pound in 2 days so it's probably water
  • collegefbfan
    Options
    Well, I am not requesting you all analyze my diet everyday. Would be nice, but a bit much. Unless you want to. But honestly, since all the weight loss, the Biggest Loser contest at work, not much has changed. Breakfast is my protein shake with the almond milk, heavy cream, a splash of cold coffee, and about 10 pecans on the side. Lunch is mostly a salad, with some type of meat from supper the night before. Sometimes, I skip lunch. When I get home from work, I might have a bite or two of 86% or higher dark chocolate. Supper is meat of some type, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, Brussel sprouts, salad, or any of these. Water all day. I usually get my cup of coffee in the evening. Just enjoy it better then. I add some heavy cream and the "Better Stevia" (maybe 5 -8 drops).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You need to be taking measurements. The scale means nothing.
    I would be interested in how measurements compare to the time of the contest. You're going to make yourself completely nuts of you continue using the scale to measure your success.

Also, you can analyze your diet half to death but if you're eating too much or too often the details are pointless.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have to say I definitely lose better/fasterwhen my fats are higher, macro wise, but I think it varies for everyone. I don't think eating less fat necessarily means your body gets it from your own storage - I mean it does if you're also low calorie. I'm not low calorie and lose well eating high fat - possibly my body feels safe enough in my fat intake that its happy to let its own stores go. Anyway just my personal experience, ymmv

Anyway mainly popped by to say your weight can fluctuate by 2lbs or more in a day just due to water variations. A gain of 1.8lb isn't a gain at all to me, especially if you've been losing every day. It's very very unusual to have that kind of linear loss! My weight goes up and down during the week until it hits a new low point, then up and down then a new low etc - I lose consistently every week but not -during- the week.

I wouldn't panic and change what's been working for you, but I agree with everyone who suggested upping your water to previous levels. Nuts can stall some people, as can dairy, but in general the cheesecake is fine as a daily treat if it fits in your calorie target. You could make little crustless ones? I eat cheese every day so cheesecake every day isn't that different, it's only likely to be an issue if the carbs in it are too high or if you're eating a ton of it. Maybe try cutting it out for a week though and see how it goes - one peril of being on any diet for a long period of time is how these little habits can creep back in.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree that weight loss is not linear. This month for example, started at 91.7 went down to 90.5 then up to 92.1 then down to 90.6 then stayed there for 2 weeks and this morning I'm 89.9. Every month is like this. My weight loss chart over the last couple of years looks like that machine that displays your heartbeat in the hospital. But the general trend is down.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Hell, I gained and lost a combined total of 26 pounds via daily weigh-ins over the past week. It's been interesting to say the least.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    but it's only 1.8 pound in 2 days so it's probably water

Yep. It's annoying but if you are not eating too much, it is just a blip. When the scale went up for me I just waited a week or two and I experienced a whoosh - a loss of a few pounds in a matter of days. Give it time.

If it stays for a while or continues to creep up then you know you are eating too much. It could be due to calories sneaking in, eating more fat than you need too or a health thing (if I am tired, sick or stressed I need to eat much less or I gain).

Give it time. And keep reminding yourself of Sunny Bunny's comparison pics. @Sunny_Bunny_ You look great BTW!