Reducing insulin resistance

Options
Hey all. I've been mostly in ketosis since August 2016. Insulin has been reduced 3 times and probably be off of it soon. I am happy to give my poor pancreas a break since I have abused it quite a bit. I like this WOE and even got my wife to join me. She started 3 days ago. I am worried about having a cheat meal with so little to no insulin taken. How long have noticed it takes before a cheat meal is ok without sending your sugars through the roof?

Replies

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I can say that the first time I truly "cheated" (I don't cheat as a rule) was Thanksgiving and it took me a few days to bounce back (I went right back on Keto next day but I was achy and tired and hungry), my blood sugar didn't take a huge hit, though. It did spike, but by bedtime, I was OK (we had dinner at 6 and I went to bed around 10).

PS I'm not on any meds or insulin since mid-May and completely controlling my T2D with diet.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    If you're diabetic doing well on Keto with reduced insulin, why would you want to cheat?

Think of it like drinking Drano.

This. I have the same health issues, and cheating involves just too much hard work for me after the cheating has ended, so to speak.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    @andrederosier
    If you eat a "cheat meal" you may trigger cravings for weeks to come. As a non T2, I've found the fewer high carb foods i consume, the happier I am. If you add in a complete meal you'll likely trigger inflammation, body aches & pains and food obsessions.

I'm soon coming up on my ONE year LcHf anniversary and really think at most, you'll be overall more pleased with yourself if your treats are acceptable within our WOE: extra bacon, new types of pork rinds, olives, berries within reason , HWC made into dessert form.

Now when you think "cheat meal" what exactly do you have in mind? Can you prepare those foods and remain under your carb goal for the day?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    I'm soon coming up on my ONE year LcHf anniversary and really think at most, you'll be overall more pleased with yourself if your treats are acceptable within our WOE: extra bacon, new types of pork rinds, olives, berries within reason , HWC made into dessert form.

Congrats on your anniversary!
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    @andrederosier
    Now when you think "cheat meal" what exactly do you have in mind? Can you prepare those foods and remain under your carb goal for the day?

Chinese or Italian restaurant. About only two things I miss since starting this WOE is chinese dumpling thingys and the fresh hot bread dipped in EVOO and herbs at Carabba's.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    BTW, @andrederosier, your first few "cheat" days will jack your blood sugar higher than normal.

My endo explained that she generally doesn't even order glucose tolerance tests (OGTT) for patients eating LC, due to the necessary prep - eating carbs for several days.

• andrederosier
    Options
    Update today from diabetes management team. The APNP met with me and we went over the past 4 months since heart attack (10 days after starting this WOE). When I went in for triple bypass on 9/6/2016, I had an a1c of 10.5 which basically shrunk my coronary arteries until they were completely blocked. Even with a1c being about a 3 month average, today it was only a 5.1 which is technically below pre-diabetic. Insulin reduced again for 4th time. I will be off of it in weeks to a month most likely. I went from taking 32/22 dose on pen dial to only 6/4 now in 4 months.

I expressed concern to her and she is having me go down gradually so I don't see my BG go up a lot. I know excess of carbs damaged pancreas but still praying not too bad. I will not abuse it again. 44 is too young for a triple bypass and all this hassle.

Thanks for all your input!! Really appreciate it.
  • andrederosier
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    BTW, @andrederosier, your first few "cheat" days will jack your blood sugar higher than normal.

My endo explained that she generally doesn't even order glucose tolerance tests (OGTT) for patients eating LC, due to the necessary prep - eating carbs for several days.

OMG several days, I worry about 1 meal. My endo mentioned this 3 months ago when I first saw her. Was thinking about testing to see how much damage I have done. Thanks for the heads up.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @andrederosier, great bounceback!

PS. Hope you've deep-sixed any ideas of cheat meals....
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I've been mostly in ketosis since August 2016. Insulin has been reduced 3 times and probably be off of it soon. I am happy to give my poor pancreas a break since I have abused it quite a bit. I like this WOE and even got my wife to join me. She started 3 days ago. I am worried about having a cheat meal with so little to no insulin taken. How long have noticed it takes before a cheat meal is ok without sending your sugars through the roof?

Get cheating off the mind. We ALWAYS do what we think about doing be it with food, people or taxes. :)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Update today from diabetes management team. The APNP met with me and we went over the past 4 months since heart attack (10 days after starting this WOE). When I went in for triple bypass on 9/6/2016, I had an a1c of 10.5 which basically shrunk my coronary arteries until they were completely blocked. Even with a1c being about a 3 month average, today it was only a 5.1 which is technically below pre-diabetic. Insulin reduced again for 4th time. I will be off of it in weeks to a month most likely. I went from taking 32/22 dose on pen dial to only 6/4 now in 4 months.

I expressed concern to her and she is having me go down gradually so I don't see my BG go up a lot. I know excess of carbs damaged pancreas but still praying not too bad. I will not abuse it again. 44 is too young for a triple bypass and all this hassle.

Thanks for all your input!! Really appreciate it.

How's it going these days?