Rock Your Resolution: January 2017 Challenge, Week 4 (1/22-1/31)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
Obligatory repeat of challenge blurb :wink: :
baconslave wrote: »
Here we are. Another year gone. But a new one will be starting, and in keeping with the tradition of a New Year Resolution, we have a challenge for you aiming at helping you KEEP those resolutions this year.

Let us know your resolutions, or even just a way you'd like to challenge yourself this month.
You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Each week there will be a thread to collect your progress that week and to interact with other challengers.
A post up in the stickies will contain links to the weekly threads should this one get buried. 2 clicks will get you back to this one without having to search.

Before you start, think about your goals. For measurable resolutions, we recommend getting a baseline.

Here are some ideas (abridged from @FIT_Goat in this post For Those with New Year Resolutions):
[*] Get an average of your most recent weigh-ins for a good idea of your starting weight.
[*] Record your food, even if you're estimating. Sure, it will be a little higher in calories/junk due to the holiday season but it will still be better than having nothing.
[*] Take body measurements and pictures. To make sure they are accurate, take several sets of measurements and average them. Or watch this video on how to measure yourself so that you are actually measuring the same spots every time. You never need to show/share these with anyone, but you might be surprised how willing you will be to share them when you have success.
[*] Make an exercise log and try for your current personal bests (even if they're nothing to be proud of). Again, a starting number is better than nothing. It will show you how much you have achieved.
[*]If you're also doing something else (like quitting smoking), the same idea applies. Take a starting measurement, like how many cigs or packs per day. You'll often be shocked at how much growth you make.

Remember changes are often slow and hard to see in the mirror. The scale is lazy and doesn't always readily reflect genuine progress. Measurements and pics will help you really see what's going on behind the scenes. And speaking of invisible progress, how you feel (improved health and/or energy) are great markers that your change is working.

Sooooo...go ahead and introduce yourself and/or post your goals when you are ready. Challenge starts on the 1st

This is a fresh new year.
Own it.

We'll be here to cheer you on.

Happy New Year and make that resolution stick.

Replies

• baconslave
    Options
    Where the heck did this month go?
    Last week of the challenge. I know technically the week ends on the 28th, but I'm just going to put the rest of the month on this thread. So there won't be a new thread on the 29th, we'll just stay in this one.

How are we doing?

I got infected with a very bad case of the F-IT-Alls. And so completely blew yesterday. I need to get control of my weekends, well-intentioned-spousal-sabotage be damned.

So my goal for this week is to workout like I should, do the thing, and keep the thing going on Saturdays!!! Must start logging Saturday. No OOPS or excuses. Say NO.

Yesterday and today are rest days. My wrist was starting to act like it wanted to rebel yesterday. So instead of working out today, I'm going to let it rest more. The last couple workouts had a lot of push-up rows, and that's rough on my puny lady wrists.

Off to deal with that which must be wrangled.
    Have a great week!!!

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    No weight or inches lost since I started a couple weeks ago. Skin is still looking great though so that counts for something. I really believe the lack of weight/fat loss is due to the immense amount of stress and general outlook on life I've had lately. Nothing else is different! I'm getting help so hopefully with that help in time the scale will shift. In the meantime I'm building better food habits. Can't wait for more positive change! I'm happy this group exists and there are so many supportive and knowledgeable people who regularly post.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    January wasn't good for me weight loss wise. I'm hoping these last ten days will change that. Crazy stressful month and I haven't paid enough attention to calories. I got pretty regular at taking my meds and vitamins and stayed mostly keto the second half of the month. I also haven't exercised much but been busy. I will try to get my sleep better these last ten days. Averaged four hours past weeks.
  • glaurya
    glaurya Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My New Years resolution was to get healthy. I discovered Keto and MFP and started on 1/9. My transition was very easy. My diet already consisted of healthy proteins, leafy greens and veggies. Just cut all processed carbs. So far, I've benefited from the positive aspects of the diet: high energy, better sleep, mental clarity, suppressed appetite and of course weight loss.  I haven't experience keto flu, no headaches, no constipation (knock on wood).  I feel so good that every morning when I wake up I say to myself, "I feel fab-u-lous!" (in a singy Oprah voice:) I hope I can sustain this WOE because I haven't felt this great in years.

SW: 198
    CW: 190
    GW: 145
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,587 Member
    Options
    Not sweating the scale since my clothes are a bit looser this month. More active for 4 days in a row so taking it easier for a few days. But I am hoping to see a difference on the scale by end of month since I have a haircut on the line as a reward.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    1/22 & 1/23 check-in: Carbs good. Weight in range. Collagen both days. Sunday I hiked around the lake and hit the playground with my favorite 3 year old. I will count that towards my outdoor walk/jog goal for the week. Last night I continued with my strength training program.

Today will probably be a rest day. My hip is hurting in a way it hasn't in a long time. It is not a muscular pain...probably more to do with my arthritis but I don't want to anger it further by running tonight. Anyhow it's been raining like crazy so the streets are full of puddles.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I've maintained scale weight for 2 weeks...which is good since there's been some birthdays to celebrate. I've restarted to 5:2 IF on top of scaling down carbs and 20:4 IF.

Did a 1,5 hrs walk up river alone for the first time in many months and enjoyed it☺ Salt is my friend.

Good luck everyone!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So strange to see the end date of 1/31 on this thread! Egads, I am just getting over NYs..
    I haven't budged a bit in any direction. I really want to sing..."I feel fab-u-lous!" :)

My BFF@work is cranking along on her successful journey. I'm happy for her, but a bit of me is feeling the green eyed monster.
    She just says, well if you want it, you've got to do the work... So true. Just feeling like curling up in a ball and going back to bed. I think I have a mild case of depression. If there is such a thing. I can get up and go to work, but lately it feels like a huge effort and that's about it.
    I wish I could shake this funk!
  • solska
    Options
    Back in full ketosis. Good to see that since I ate non-keto things a couple of days ago several days in a row. I usually don't crave it but made miso soup tonight with some spinach and cauliflower. I used to eat a lot more soup and been eating much more calorie dense dishes with keto. I think I need to reduce calories to start seeing progress, and broth soups might help with that. They are so satisfying. 193.2 today, this is the lowest weight I've seen in eight or so years. A bit more motivated but couldn't get so happy about it since that's only 0.2 pounds actual progress in one month and one day.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,587 Member
    Options
    @slimzandra that's me every January. I make efforts to head it off at the pass but it finds its way in regardless. I've curled up on the couch with my kindle and a blanket after dinner the last two nights. Need to break that trend tonight. If I make a loaf of soul bread before dinner, that should help keep me off the couch.
  • baconslave
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    So strange to see the end date of 1/31 on this thread! Egads, I am just getting over NYs..
    I haven't budged a bit in any direction. I really want to sing..."I feel fab-u-lous!" :)

My BFF@work is cranking along on her successful journey. I'm happy for her, but a bit of me is feeling the green eyed monster.
    She just says, well if you want it, you've got to do the work... So true. Just feeling like curling up in a ball and going back to bed. I think I have a mild case of depression. If there is such a thing. I can get up and go to work, but lately it feels like a huge effort and that's about it.
    I wish I could shake this funk!

She's right. Sounds like Elizabeth Benton. /but it's still hard! This time of year is hard for me, too. I don't know if it's the Xmas-letdown or Seasonal Affective Disorder, but it's rough.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Well I ditched the belly bloat tea. The bloat was becoming more like edema in my belly and thighs. My skin was going berserk. I was agitated. All of that, but I still can't sleep due to the dry eye at night which it didn't help. I give up. We'll see what the scale tells me on Saturday.

Meanwhile, I do what I'm supposed to. Doing Hero 90. My eyes won't make enough tears, but I sure can sweat. Imagine my eyes rolling.

The true test will be Friday night and Sat. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @baconslave - Sorry to hear you are still struggling with the eye issue. My dry eye prob. flares up in the winter, but isn't as bad as yours has been. Goopy drops from Dr. helped. I feel for you.

I just looked up Elizabeth Benton, thanks! Very motivational read. My internal dialogue has been wrong, these past months. That's the difference this time. Instead of saying everyday "Damn this is a struggle" I need to get that positive mojo going again.

EB wrote:
    "I made a list of everything I would gain if I lost the weight: pride, confidence, happiness, joy, mobility, energy, satisfaction, admiration"

Odd how weight can be tied into all of that, not just physically but psychologically. I find that to be true in my case.

Got my lunch and dinner ready to look forward to today and I did pretty well yesterday. I need to get ready for vacation Feb 18th...Even 5-6 pounds would make a difference in how my clothes fit and probably all the rest that is tied into it.

Here goes! Thanks guys for the boost.

@tishsmith101 How did that soul bread turn out?
  • anglyn1
    Options
    @slimzandra I think this time of year is just a downer. The winter holidays are over, it's cold, and at least at my job we are in that stretch with no holidays off until Memorial Day. Also since my b-day is this month I get to contemplate aging at the height of seasonal affective disorder! lol. I try to get outside as much as possible even when it's cold, rainy, or snowy and it seems to help a bit!

@baconslave that tea sounds awful. Totally not worth it! I hate being bloated. I wish you could find something to help your eye situation. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that is!

1/24 check-in: carbs and weight good. No workout. Resting because my hip feels off. Took my collagen.

Going to try to run tonight because it's going to be oddly warm and overall great weather (then tomorrow cold and snow). I might end up having to walk if the hip isn't cooperating.
  • solska
    Options
    I wrote wrong before... It was 1.2 p in a month. Still too little. Today, some of the bloat was gone. I'm 192.6, a new number at least. And sun in the sky. Totally changed my mood. Though I'm so so tired. I need to urgently get in more sleep. Which will help with everything. I can't wait to get down to 180 something and then 170s... I wish that happened fast. Feels like I've been in the same place for long. Will try to make the most of this last week of January. Stop eating earlier, sleep more. Try to walk out a bit. With the weather haven't been doing that.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I haven't been checking in much recently but this month has gone really well for me in terms of staying on track with eating and exercise.
    Weight is in a good place. I want to lose maybe 1 more pound, hold steady for a couple weeks and then gradually shift back into maintenance mode.
  • anglyn1
    Options
    1/25 check-in: carbs and weight good. I got in a lovely trail run in beautiful 60 degree weather after work. I took my collagen. Tonight I'll either rest or do my strength training. Not sure yet. Tomorrow is my b-day so I might want that for my rest day...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    1/25 check-in: carbs and weight good. I got in a lovely trail run in beautiful 60 degree weather after work. I took my collagen. Tonight I'll either rest or do my strength training. Not sure yet. Tomorrow is my b-day so I might want that for my rest day...

Happy Birthday tomorrow!
  • baconslave
    edited January 2017
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »

@baconslave that tea sounds awful. Totally not worth it! I hate being bloated. I wish you could find something to help your eye situation. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that is!

Oh. And Happy Birthday!

I've lost 3lb since I stopped taking the tea...And my skin is clearing up.
    The ophthalmologist can't really do much else for me except plug the last tear ducts left since Restasis failed. They can't figure out why people get dry eye like I do or how to treat it if it doesn't respond to any of the treatments. There is very little treatment that works and no cure for Sjogren's Syndrome-like symptoms. :sweat:
    slimzandra wrote: »
    @baconslave - Sorry to hear you are still struggling with the eye issue. My dry eye prob. flares up in the winter, but isn't as bad as yours has been. Goopy drops from Dr. helped. I feel for you.

I just looked up Elizabeth Benton, thanks! Very motivational read. My internal dialogue has been wrong, these past months. That's the difference this time. Instead of saying everyday "Damn this is a struggle" I need to get that positive mojo going again.

I put 2 different things in my eyes at night. An ointment plus goop drops. I still have to reapply them about 5 or 6 times a night. It's like my eyes become a moisture black-hole overnight. I even wear moisture goggles and still have trouble. Sucks...

Elizabeth is great for the kick in the pants and the perspective you need. I still listen to her a lot.