This video has changed my life

Options
nomorepuke
nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
https://youtu.be/IqmfR82yZT8
I thought you guys would check this out and leave your thoughts in the comment section. I accidentally watched the weight loss documentary called "Beyond expectations". It was amazing. It's about the Aussie mom's dramatic weight loss journey without a dietician, personal trainer or plastic surgery. How she lost the weight was very simple. She was obese, in only 9 months she went on a bodybuilder's competition. Another remarkable thing was that she kept her weight off until now. (Documentary was made 6 years ago)

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I did great on eat less move more and it was very effective for me, but could support what I perceive to be the gist of this video: routine exercise (recomping) might be the better way to go. Not so sure I'd have the patience needed to up calories though I have a couple of pals my age (60s) who worked with trainers in doing this effectively. By effectively, I mean building strength, losing body fat, recomping and losing weight while increasing calories.

I've often thought that a good plan for me, if I had to do a "do over", would be to eat at maintenance calories for my ideal weight (which initially would be a deficit) and commit to a lifelong habit of exercise with both cardio (HIIT for "oldies" maybe) and strength training having benefit.

Unfortunately what I see happen most often is someone plugs their stats into MFP to lose "X" per week with the given deficit. They're successful but never patient so decide a bigger deficit is better and begin to eat even less. When weight loss slows or stops they drop their calories even more. And then they start fasting for weight loss, start bingeing or just quit. Some of this occurs due to an intense desire to lose weight accompanied by a extreme/faulty interpretation of "if you're HF all you need is LC" or "Eat from your on board pantry" or "if you're not hungry, don't eat".

JMO and observation. I'll go hide now.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Too bad too many will focus on the "eat more" and leave off the "real food" part. If you eat more real food, even if it is not super low carb, you will reduce insulin spikes that cause the cravings that lead to overeating. It also means getting nutrient dense food which reduces cravings caused by your body needing certain nutrients.

That CICO mindset is tough to break. Thanks @nomorepuke for posting this. I think this is a good, easy to understand presentation. Even for those in the LCHF world, there is a tendency to talk about making the deficit larger to the point of being counterproductive. I firmly believe LCHF is the best tool out there for weight loss and a good tool for many for other reasons - though not perfect for everyone. Even so, done incorrectly, it can slow the metabolism just like what was found in the Biggest Loser study which is just an extreme version of what is being described in this video.

I am with @kpk54 on the "if you're not hungry, don't eat." For thousands of years it was rare for people to struggle with obesity. Eating processed food (i.e. food that is created in a plant) versus food that comes from a plant or animal along with habit eating (like say popcorn/candy at the movies) combined with such ridiculously easy access to food at any time we want has made obesity our number one health issue.

The presenter is on target with quite a bit. This is a lifestyle change and not a quick fix. In other words, most of society won't do it. Our attention span keeps getting shorter and shorter. Instant gratification is the goal.

I think it is sad we don't make meal prep/cooking a higher priority in the education of our children. I know I grew up thinking anything more than cooking hot dogs and mac & cheese was just too hard. Over the last year and a half, I have learned how to cook so many things that are just as quick and nearly as easy but taste so much better and are so much better for me. I really wish I would have learned this 30 years ago as a teenager. I would be much healthier now.
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    I've done calories in vs calories out weight loss diet many times. Honestly, that's all I knew or could afford. After watching her documentary, my failures started to make sense. This time, I've lost 13lbs in a month which I'd never lost that much weight without being so miserable everyday. I eat a ton of real food during a day. My only complaints about Low Carb diet is that people tend to cut out nutritious food just because they contain a bit of Carbs for example whole milk, yogurt, green vegetables and fruits like kiwi. I'm definitely on a low carb diet but I've only cut out starchy carbs and fast/processed food completely. Starchy carbs include flour, rice, bananas, vegetables that grow under the ground such as yellow/sweet potatoes.
    It's just my opinion, and I'm by all means no expert.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @nomorepuke I would agree about the choosing to go low carb but stay nutrient dense. Everyone has their own level of carbs. This is not one size fits all. I'm not sure how long you have been LC, but just a couple things you may not know.

There are great options to replace milk which is not as healthy as most people think. The "studies" that show its benefits are all paid for by the dairy industry. I am not saying whole milk is necessarily bad, just not as good as they make it sound. Almond milk, for example is much better in terms of nutrients (more vitamin D and B12 which are two nutrients where more than half of people have a deficiency) and has almost no carbs if you get the unsweetened variety. All 12 of the carbs in a cup of milk are sugar.

If you don't like almond milk, cashew milk and coconut milk are also lower sugar options to regular milk.

As for fruits, there are no nutrients in any fruit that are not also in veggies. The main nutritional difference between fruit and veggies is veggies have more anti-oxidants (except some berries) and fruits have more sugars. I do eat plenty of veggies, but I do avoid fruits just because there are no real advantages to them. If I were to eat them, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries are the highest in anti-oxidants and the lowest in glycemic load. I really liked kiwi, which is high in vitamin C, but it is very high in sugar - more than most fruits. For me, sugar = insulin spike = hunger (or hanger) an hour or two later.

I am personally on the lower end of the carb spectrum with almost all of them coming from veggies like zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach and other leafy greens. I used to eat more nuts and seeds (i.e. pumpkin and sunflower), but I have found it too easy to overeat those, so I have been limiting them quite a bit as of late.
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful information.
    I may get in trouble by saying this but I eat every 2-3 hours which means I'm never hungry. Kiwi is full of vitamin C but also it has all other benefits. Sugar, As long as it's not starchy, I'm okay with sugar that's in organic whole milk or kiwi. Also avocado is a great fruit that has full of nutrients. I like feeding my body and brain with good carbs.
    I've tried almond milk, honestly it has a taste that I can never get passed. I've heard it's super good for you.