High fasting blood sugar and low carb

Options
stacicali
stacicali Posts: 137 Member
Recently fell down this rabbit hole and thought I'd ask for advice as well as share a few things I've learned. Though I am not diabetic, I am on the max amount of Metformin (for PCOS) and have started monitoring my blood sugar periodically with a glucose meter. Started back on low carb a week ago (approx 100 g of carbs per day), and last week my Fasting Glucose shot up higher than it's ever been: 111. <gulp>
https://chriskresser.com/when-your-“normal”-blood-sugar-isn’t-normal-part-2/
Kresser seems to indicate that it's ok while you're low carbing to have a higher fasting blood glucose as long as your post meal readings are normal. Mine are.
My concern is that my dr may slap me with a prediabetic label. Is anyone else dealing with this? Advice?
One potential hack that I've uncovered is digestive enzymes. They really seem to make a difference in lowering my fasting levels when I take them at night.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/digestive-enzymes-an-unexpected-diabetes-game-changer.101605/

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @stacicali I had a lot of weird stuff happen when I first went LCHF for pain management. I found after several months things started to stabilize. Good arthritis pain management started by day 30.

I just try to keep my carbs under 50 grams daily and protein under 100 grams daily and let the rest run wild. Cravings dropped like a rock after about week two so now I stop eating when I get full which lowers my CI of CICO. :)

Best of success.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    what is city of cico?

yes eating no sugar and low carb 14 days eliminated cravings, hunger and up peeing during the night.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    what is city of cico?

yes eating no sugar and low carb 14 days eliminated cravings, hunger and up peeing during the night.

calories in - calories out, i believe
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    CI is the "calories in" part of CICO which is "calories in calories out". It is somewhat the basis of MFP in that one eats less (CI) than they burn (CO) in order to lose weight.

It may not work for all. It worked for me in weight loss and maintenance. My body is pretty average and without metabolic issues to complicate things so "averages" were a guide and I lost/maintain without significant tweaking. Regardless of how I vary my macros I still eat and average "XXX" calories. WHAT I eat effects my satiation do I keep carbs low and fat/protein higher but still eat the same number of calories I would if I ate all carbs.
    what is city of cico?

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Bumping this and adding a link that dealt with this in another thread community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10432331/lcd-chat#latest
    on pg 50 there are links
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
  • canadjineh
    Options
    OK here's my weirdness .... first time using a glucose meter just for info sake.
    Fasting BG was 6.3 or 113
    One hour post-prandial was 5.3 or 95
    Two hour post-prandial was 4.9 or 87
    Three hour post-prandial was 4.8 or 86

What does this mean? Even my fasting is too high for Dawn Phenomenon, isn't it?
    The other numbers look pretty good I think.

Dinner was Tuna & Pesto over my usual shirataki noodles with green olives, cauliflower, browned onion, artichoke hearts, and mushrooms. I have to eat gluten free and rarely use grains or starches of any sort (unless I go off the rails with tortilla chips).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It seems perfectly normal to me.
    You always wake up higher than any other time of day. I think my highest tested was about 105, but that's not far off 113 and who knows how much variance the meter may have.
    Honestly, nothing about the numbers seems concerning to me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My FBG is lately over 5.6 on most days. Yesterday was 6.3. When I went to eat breakfast about 6 hours later, it was a 5.5.

Mine falls throughout the day. I like that. But the high FBG drives me nuts. I know damage may be occurring at levels that high, and it takes me half the day for the levels to finally fall.

But without medication there is nothing else I can do, besides fasting every other day.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @canadjineh, a fasting BG of 113 isn't really normal, but, yeah, it does seem like a good idea to retest with the same meter right away if you get values that seem unusually high. (Ratings of BG meters show wide differences in accuracy and consistency. The cheap Bayer Contour Next is very accurate and consistent, while the crappy, cheap, lookalike Bayer Contour is not in the same league.)

Anyhow, if those 1- and 2-hour readings are typical, I would say you're in pretty good shape.

In fact, I would gladly buy them numbers off you! ??
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am 5 months into LCHF and six months after a diagnosis of T2 diabetes. I take metformin. I have had dramatic decreases in the glucose readings that I attribute to the WOE. I currently have a soft limit of 20 net carb grams a day and a hard limit of 30. I probably stay under 20 net carb grams 5 or 6 days a week.

The morning fasting reading is often my highest reading of the day right now. It might be 115 or 120. Post prandial might be 105 at one hour and 110 at two hours. I realize all these readings are close and could really be the same reading, but there is a pattern.

I want my fasting levels to be lower, and they are slowly improving with time. My 14 day average for all my readings is 111, and my 30 day average is 114.

• RalfLott
    Options
    what is city of cico?

I've been on LC, no sugar, for 400+ days. No cravings, no hunger pangs, but that last one? Hmmm.

What I can say is that I am (often) awake in time to relocate for that particular activity.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

What I can say is that I am (often) awake in time to relocate for that particular activity.

I am still looking for the supplement that will help with the "get up at 2 AM to pee" thing.

• canadjineh
    Options
    Hey, I am always up to pee at 2 am, lol, but that is because it's almost near the end of my work shift and I drank 3 cups of green tea... :D
  • RalfLott
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

I am still looking for the supplement that will help with the "get up at 2 AM to pee" thing.

Everclear and rubber bands are the only two I know. But they're not endorsed by the FDA (yet) or College of Pediatricians.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Remember that getting up to pee around 2 am is considered stroke prevention. Most people dehydrate while sleeping, and that can be a prime factor in triggering strokes at that time. So I'll take the 2 am pee event nightly over increased stroke risks, thanks!

It is recommended to drink as much as you can of a glass of water when you're up to pee, too.
  • 2t9nty
    Options

KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Remember that getting up to pee around 2 am is considered stroke prevention. Most people dehydrate while sleeping, and that can be a prime factor in triggering strokes at that time. So I'll take the 2 am pee event nightly over increased stroke risks, thanks!

It is recommended to drink as much as you can of a glass of water when you're up to pee, too.

I will take the pee at 2 AM over the trip to the ER any day. I drink at least a gallon of fluids every day, so it seems unlikely that dehydration is an issue. Maybe I should start drinking a glass of water before going to bed too.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I will take the pee at 2 AM over the trip to the ER any day. I drink at least a gallon of fluids every day, so it seems unlikely that dehydration is an issue. Maybe I should start drinking a glass of water before going to bed too.

Drowning would seem to be the larger-looming risk.
  • 2t9nty
    edited March 2017
    Options

Drowning would seem to be the larger-looming risk.

Well - I was thinking of the glass of water at 2 AM before returning to bed.

You think this is too much on the fluid intake?