Keto vs "my plate" for T2Ds

Options
nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
Came across this today. Pretty cool. Too bad it was such a small trial but it is still good results.

https://www.jmir.org/2017/2/e36/

An Online Intervention Comparing a Very Low-Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations Versus a Plate Method Diet in Overweight Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial

Results: At 32 weeks, participants in the intervention group reduced their HbA1c levels more (estimated marginal mean [EMM] –0.8%, 95% CI –1.1% to –0.6%) than participants in the control group (EMM –0.3%, 95% CI –0.6% to 0.0%; P=.002). More than half of the participants in the intervention group (6/11, 55%) lowered their HbA1c to less than 6.5% versus 0% (0/8) in the control group (P=.02). Participants in the intervention group lost more weight (EMM –12.7 kg, 95% CI –16.1 to –9.2 kg) than participants in the control group (EMM –3.0 kg, 95% CI –7.3 to 1.3 kg; P<.001). A greater percentage of participants lost at least 5% of their body weight in the intervention (10/11, 90%) versus the control group (2/8, 29%; P=.01). Participants in the intervention group lowered their triglyceride levels (EMM –60.1 mg/dL, 95% CI –91.3 to –28.9 mg/dL) more than participants in the control group (EMM –6.2 mg/dL, 95% CI –46.0 to 33.6 mg/dL; P=.01). Dropout was 8% (1/12) and 46% (6/13) for the intervention and control groups, respectively (P=.07).

Conclusions: Individuals with type 2 diabetes improved their glycemic control and lost more weight after being randomized to a very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet and lifestyle online program rather than a conventional, low-fat diabetes diet online program. Thus, the online delivery of these very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet and lifestyle recommendations may allow them to have a wider reach in the successful self-management of type 2 diabetes.

Replies

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    LCHF is the best way for THIS T2D to manage her diabetes!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I've recently advocated a 50/50/0 macro split to my T2D mother. She was having amazing success, dropping weight like crazy, blood sugar issues under control, etc.

I said was though, didn't I? Yeah, *kitten* Girl Scouts and their peddling of *kitten* cookies got her a couple of days ago. Waiting to see what kind of damage control is needed. Just goes to show that the best diet in the world can't fix some problems. FFS...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Those sweet little Girl Scouts can tug at our heart strings. :) Let your mom know they gladly accept donations in lieu of purchase and get all the $$ for their troop versus a very small percentage. @Gallowmere1984
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Right? It's simple, quick, effective, and cheap. So .... uh.... hmmm.......
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Those sweet little Girl Scouts can tug at our heart strings. :) Let your mom know they gladly accept donations in lieu of purchase and get all the $$ for their troop versus a very small percentage. @Gallowmere1984

I assure you, the heartstrings aren't her problem. She used to refer to them as mini-crack dealers. She's just got issues with those damned cookies.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options

I assure you, the heartstrings aren't her problem. She used to refer to them as mini-crack dealers. She's just got issues with those damned cookies.

I buy them to support the Girls Scouts, but I will tell the girls they have to deliver an open box to coffee hour at church. That seems to work pretty well. They get eaten up and I don't have to be tempted.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    New study comparing VLCHF online diet program use to My Plate online diet plan use in overweight T2D people over 32 weeks. Take a look at the drop out rates! I wonder which one is sustainable? lol Not to mention actually lowered A1c to pre diabetic levels in many participants as compared to none in the My Plate control group.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28193599/

"CONCLUSIONS: Individuals with type 2 diabetes improved their glycemic control and lost more weight after being randomized to a very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet and lifestyle online program rather than a conventional, low-fat diabetes diet online program. Thus, the online delivery of these very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet and lifestyle recommendations may allow them to have a wider reach in the successful self-management of type 2 diabetes."