Question for diabetics

Options
Is anyone here on Glipizide? I was on Metformin but had to switch because my stomach couldn't tolerate it anymore. I like the Glipizide better but I'm finding it hard to figure out where my carbs should be. If I try to keep it around 50-75, where I generally like it, my BS gets too low about 2 hours after lunch. If I keep it well above 100 I don't tank out, but I don't feel as well as I do on low carb. I see the doc next week so just looking for some general thoughts and ideas.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your new diet is lowering your bs toward normal so much that your meds are making it go too low. You're essentially overmedicated for the current carb intake. Which is a good sign that you may be ready to discuss medication reduction with the doctor. :)
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I had to switch from Metformin to Glipizide for the same reason you did - my stomach couldn't tolerate it. After a couple weeks of LCHF I stopped taking the Glipizide, and my A1C still fell. Definitely talk to your doctor about reducing or eliminating the medication.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Glipizide (IMHO) Is not a good substitute for Metformin! :/

It does have hypotensive tendencies - not good when you're reducing your BG through LCHF - and it also stimulates insulin production. :s

If your medical insurance is reasonable, it should allow you to take brand name Glucophage XR with a physician's statement of need.

In my case, it brought a near-total cease-fire after months of heavy lower-GI artillery fire on generic Metformin. B)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10394798/t2d-glucophage-name-brand-metformin-generic
  • RalfLott
    Options
    But yeah, best to do like @genmon00 and @MyriiStorm and bid the meds farewell!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I agree with @ralflott I was on Glipizide somewhere between Januvia and Inovkana (another one of the devils pills lol) and it caused MAJOR hypo issues for me. It's meant to drop your sugar quickly
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I will definitely take all this up with the doc next week.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Someone sent me an interesting article yesterday about how to optimize Metformin titration to improve tolerance, too. I'm sharing in case it helps someone else! mendosa.com/blog/?p=1261

This article specifically mentions ACE inhibitors, and a new class of some type of blockers to help with kidney protection. I reacted badly after a while on an ACE, and my PCP basically said that I probably shouldn't even try anything else in that class, as most work the same way and had chances of triggering the same reactions. She switched me to a Beta Blocker (different than the recommended one in the article), and they've worked great for my medical side effect high blood pressure (thanks being 40 and needing BCP) and at migraine prevention, but in the past 4-6 weeks, I've started developing some tightness of chest/breathing issues (very mild, just enough to register as "oh, this is different and new. how annoying."), and I'm becoming concerned about the Beta Blockers now too. Does anyone have experience with HBP meds as kidney protecting agents, the two class types referenced in the article, or any other related issues?

I'm becoming increasingly concerned about kidney function, as I've had slowly worsening test results and struggle more and more with dehydration, adding to this that I'm prediabetic and insulin resistant with hypothyroidism and PCOS (medical crap storm, I know)... I'm trying to do research myself so I know how to approach my endocrinologist, because he's good and open-minded, but he's still a conventional medicine doctor. I'll probably start this as a new thread, but I wanted to ask here, too, since it's related.... TIA.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    Bumping. Hugs for all of that Knitormiss.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    It actually looks like my breathing/tightness issues were related to some sort of reflux, but I'm waiting to see if my PCP wants to test. I am still dealing with enlarged thyroid and dehydration, but no word on the rest yet.

Glad to hear that you're getting going in a good direction!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    It actually looks like my breathing/tightness issues were related to some sort of reflux, but I'm waiting to see if my PCP wants to test. I am still dealing with enlarged thyroid and dehydration, but no word on the rest yet.

Glad to hear that you're getting going in a good direction!

We might be in the same boat @KnitOrMiss . Was having chest tightness and shortness of breath. ER ruled out heart attack or lung issues. Went to my PCP today and she said my right Thyroid gland is slightly enlarged and wants to do some further tests....Along with multiple other fun stuff like mammograms and colonoscopy/endoscopy.

Yikes!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yeah, since I'm 40, I know I'm likely going to be sent for a Mammo update. Colonoscopy will depend on her concern over my acid issues... Good luck @swezeytba.

My thyroid test came back "no nodules, no masses," but no other info. She also said that how it was didn't factor into the breathing tightness at all.

Side note, I have ZERO digestive discomfort AT ALL while having the breathing distress. Look up Eosinophilic Esophagitis (aaaai.org). Friend told me it fits most of the issues.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I just read this thread now and saw your question about blood pressure medications. Just wanted to say that I had also had a bad reaction to ACE inhibitors, but I tolerate ARBs just fine (I had to have a documented intolerance/allergy to ACE inhibitors to have my insurance pay for them in the beginning). Talk to a pharmacist and see what they think...they're your best bet when wondering about potential drug reactions.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Yeah, since I'm 40, I know I'm likely going to be sent for a Mammo update. Colonoscopy will depend on her concern over my acid issues... Good luck @swezeytba.

My thyroid test came back "no nodules, no masses," but no other info. She also said that how it was didn't factor into the breathing tightness at all.

Side note, I have ZERO digestive discomfort AT ALL while having the breathing distress. Look up Eosinophilic Esophagitis (aaaai.org). Friend told me it fits most of the issues.

@KnitOrMiss ....Thanks for the info. That was interesting re: the Eosinophilic Esophagitis. I have a lot of the pre-dispositions for that it seems.

My PCP said she didn't feel any nodules or masses but wanted to be safe since my neurologist had been a little concerned about my thyroid last year anyway.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <refresh>
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Interesting that this was the first thread this morning. I've been doing well with keto and not having any trouble with Glipizide but I've been thinking about it alot lately. It's only ever been the fasting level that was problematic unless I ate carbs and since keto I've not had one spike except for fasting. It's up and down with no real rhyme or reason that I can figure out. I can't decide if feeling better is because of the pill or the diet and reading up on that Jason Fung website I'm wondering if I'm actually hurting myself in the long-run. I'm only on 2.5 mg so it's probably not doing a ton of damage, but on the flipside of that, is it doing anything at all? I'm thinking of going without it for a week and see if there are any changes.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Interesting that this was the first thread this morning. I've been doing well with keto and not having any trouble with Glipizide but I've been thinking about it alot lately. It's only ever been the fasting level that was problematic unless I ate carbs and since keto I've not had one spike except for fasting. It's up and down with no real rhyme or reason that I can figure out. I can't decide if feeling better is because of the pill or the diet and reading up on that Jason Fung website I'm wondering if I'm actually hurting myself in the long-run. I'm only on 2.5 mg so it's probably not doing a ton of damage, but on the flipside of that, is it doing anything at all? I'm thinking of going without it for a week and see if there are any changes.

Are you into your experiment? (BTW, nice work getting "Glipizide" and "flipside" in the same paragraph.)
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    I was still debating the experiment (wondering if I should just wait for my blood work/dr's apt next month) when we had the accident Saturday and even though there were no major injuries I thought it best to keep everything the same for the time being. I am planning to talk to the doctor about it depending on how the blood work turns out. If I'm in the 5 range it will most likely be due to diet and exercise so I can't really see the need for meds that aren't really doing anything. I plan to take myself off if that's the case, though I'll tell her its an experiment.