Any moms in their 40 in here?

Options

Replies

• Tryingtogetfitdeb
    Tryingtogetfitdeb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    pigwig13 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a 46 year old mum to 3 kids (nearly 11, nearly 9 & nearly7). I do weight training 4 days a week in the morning when they are at school and try to fit a couple of home workouts in during the week too. I'm planning on starting to jog when the night's get lighter and drier (early spring here in the UK so dark & dismal still). Nice to meet you all ☺

I'm in the uk too, I'm planning on starting to jog again when it's lighter on a night, like you've said it's too dark and wet at the moment x
  • TreesOfYavanna
    TreesOfYavanna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    41 with two daughters, ages 12 and 11.

I work but in the mornings before getting the kids off to school, I try to squeeze in some exercise -- cardio 3x a week and weights 2-3x a week.

I also walk to the train station and in the afternoons, I walk from work back to the train station in the city to catch my train home. I can usually get in around 4 miles a day or around 10k steps, hopefully once the weather gets more mild I'll be doing the long walk from the train to work in the mornings too for another 1.5 miles. Right now it's way too cold so I take the bus to work from the train in the morning.
  • ANSL_Mom
    ANSL_Mom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am 43 with 4 kids, ages 5-12. I work full time out of the house. I do my best to bike or walk to and from work to get some exercise done. I go to the gym at night for a little me time. I teach spin weekly and schedule a short workout (yoga/stretch) at work during my lunch break.

I have found that meal planning is key.
  • bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hey ANSL- we are twins! Me-42, work from home, I the 3 kids 3-11. except that I can't spin.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    41 with 3 kids. One grown and out the house. Two almost 13yr olds still at home. I work full time outside the home. I strength train 4x/week in the mornings before work and commute to work by bike as often as possible. I've recently started adding a Yin Yoga session in nightly to try to work on my mobility/flexibility. It's reallllly bad. :frowning: Luckily my kids are pretty self-sufficient and get themselves up and ready for school, walk the dogs, etc then ride their bikes to/from school. They are responsible for their homework and personal spaces, doing laundry, etc. We have a maid come in weekly to deep clean. I meal plan/prep ahead of time so that there isn't much to do once I get home.

When my oldest was younger, he was in so many activities and we volunteered for everything that we were busy all the time; Never home in the evenings. We got burned out on that that we never pushed the younger ones to do any after school activities. If they really wanted to, we would, but they had to ask and commit. Life is much easier now.

Also, we made the decision to move closer to our jobs to add hours back in our day that were spent commuting. We paid more and got less, but it was totally worth it.
  • vnukinga
    vnukinga Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What a great group of moms we have here!
    Warm welcome to all and all the best in the active journey!
  • llamb4160
    llamb4160 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a 9 and 12 year old. I go to dance class 2 - 3 times a week and pilates 2 times a week. It's really hard to find the time to exercise but I am much happier when I do and the weight just won't move without it. The family all eats more healthily but I skip the carbs at dinner and eat mostly salad with a little protein. This seems to be helping.
  • nrlovings
    nrlovings Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 42, and four kids ranging from age 4 to 14. I out on 10 lbs this fall (yikes!) and since beginning of January I have lost 11. My goal weight would be losing five more, but I seem to be at a stalemate for a week now.
  • Tryingtogetfitdeb
    Options
    I'm feeling really drained at the moment, I've been poorly on and off for the last 3 weeks, and now I've started with another sore throat
  • vnukinga
    Options
    Welcome llamb and nrlovings!
    Mrssunshine, I am currently down with a cold (for a week now!). It definitely affects my activity level but I'm trying to push through it. I finally broke down and decided to start taking some meds to help with the symptoms. (sinus, sore throat, dry cough) Last night I finally slept soundly through the night although I worried I could wake up groggy. It seems like it worked, though. No more groggy then from this cold but rested!
    I hope you feel better soon!
    :)
  • bringbackthejoy
    Options
    Rest up everyone. Take care of your body and it will take care of you!
  • Tryingtogetfitdeb
    Options
    Managed a work out last night and feel a bit brighter today
  • vnukinga
    Options
    That's great! I woke up super groggy this morning but after I drop my kids off at school I will try to do my 50+ flight of stairs...
    We shall see...
    ;)
  • walkermom75
    walkermom75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, mom of three ages 10-16. I work varying split shifts in home healthcare. I rarely keep to the same schedule, but fit in cardio on my elliptical, or walking outside when weather permits (northern IL)...also I do some weights, and mostly body weight exercises/calisthenics most everyday. I do this all from home. I've also started yoga with Adrienne (love her), and am excited to search out more stuff I can do via utube. I'm down 15 lbs in two and a half months. At the point I want to continue toning and gaining more muscle. I feel great!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'll be 40 in a few months. :smiley:

Between us, my DH and I have 4 kids between 10 and 17. They're not all with us all the time, but at any given moment, there's SOME combination of kids at our house! I'm an attorney and recently changed firms, so I'm trying very hard to focus at my new job! Life has been hectic, lately, and my eating and exercise have suffered, but I'm on my way back.

The best thing I ever did was join a gym near my office, and I try to get in a lunchtime workout 3 days a week. It doesn't always happen, but it's definitely easier to work that in than in the morning or evening. I'm NOT a morning person, so trying to get up early for a run is really just setting myself up to fail. And in the evenings, it's all about getting dinner, volleyball practice, homework, etc. Mid-day just works better for me.
  • vnukinga
    Options
    Welcome walkermom and JeepHair!
    :)
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm heading toward 45 and my blended family has three boys in the 8th, 7th (my bonus son) and 6th grades. And, it's been a real struggle to put myself in our mix of soccer, band, music lessons, games and other life appointments, but I have to continually remind myself how important it is.

When I started this journey in December, I began with food. I downloaded MFP and I've always worn a FitBit Surge for when I was more active and ran a few times a week. About six weeks later, I added trying to get 10k steps in 5 or more times a week. I have a desk job so this was a struggle. I began by using the restroom one building over (lol) then added a 2 mile walk at lunch. If I didn't get it at lunch, I tried to get my 10k after work wherever I was. Once soccer started in mid-February and I was stuck at an outdoor complex, I began to try and get at least 10k steps 5x a week but also add in another activity 3x per week. This is usually a combo of a jog/walk and adds anywhere from 3-5 miles these 3x a week.

My entire plan is all divided up in my head as pre-Italy and post-Italy because we are planning a bucket list family trip for Spring Break.

Tomorrow will mark 100 days on MFP and I'm down about 20 lbs. Not sure where I will end up because maintenance has always been an issue, but after watching these boards and those in maintenance, I think I *get* it. So, post-Italy, I will pick up where I left off even if it's slow again, then work toward another 10 lbs or so.

Here's to all us Mamas just trying to make it work *cheers*
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    pacingoamy wrote: »
    I'm heading toward 45 and my blended family has three boys in the 8th, 7th (my bonus son) and 6th grades. And, it's been a real struggle to put myself in our mix of soccer, band, music lessons, games and other life appointments, but I have to continually remind myself how important it is.

When I started this journey in December, I began with food. I downloaded MFP and I've always worn a FitBit Surge for when I was more active and ran a few times a week. About six weeks later, I added trying to get 10k steps in 5 or more times a week. I have a desk job so this was a struggle. I began by using the restroom one building over (lol) then added a 2 mile walk at lunch. If I didn't get it at lunch, I tried to get my 10k after work wherever I was. Once soccer started in mid-February and I was stuck at an outdoor complex, I began to try and get at least 10k steps 5x a week but also add in another activity 3x per week. This is usually a combo of a jog/walk and adds anywhere from 3-5 miles these 3x a week.

My entire plan is all divided up in my head as pre-Italy and post-Italy because we are planning a bucket list family trip for Spring Break.

Tomorrow will mark 100 days on MFP and I'm down about 20 lbs. Not sure where I will end up because maintenance has always been an issue, but after watching these boards and those in maintenance, I think I *get* it. So, post-Italy, I will pick up where I left off even if it's slow again, then work toward another 10 lbs or so.

Here's to all us Mamas just trying to make it work *cheers*

@pacingoamy - this reminded me of something else - my 6th grader plays volleyball, and spends one evening a week at practice. She doesn't need me sitting there watching her team run drills, so I get her to practice, make sure the coach and the other moms that I know pretty well are there, and then *I* go out for a run. Her gym is near a pretty decent trail/sidewalk, so I can get in a run and get back in plenty of time to see the end of her practice.

Plus, I don't have to sit there making chit-chat with the other parents. Win-win.
  • bringbackthejoy
    Options
    @JeepHair77 amen, haha.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm 52. I have kids that still live at home.