The 2017 Bulking-After-40 Program (Joe's New Routine)

Options
arguablysamson
arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
So, I've thought about how or if I was even going to bother with an announcement, but since OMAD was phase-1 then this must be phase-2. I've decided to mass up and put on what I consider to be needful for the years going forward--lean muscle tissue.

Being skinny is just not all it's cracked up to be. I want to be carrying a bit more size on my frame, not to mention, to have some very usable strength. At least this is how I feel at this stage in life.

Now I've been doing this since January and have, I think, a decent routine going. It consists of an eating window that will remain open between four and six hours for five days out of the week, with two fast days at the week's end. Meals will consist of 60/40 protein-carb with the exception of one day, which will be vegan. This last day will be a huge splurge day about once every two weeks.

Supplements will consist of:

-DHEA, 50mg per day for five days a week.
-Creatine monohydrate, 5% for three days a week.
-Muscle Milk chocolate protein shake (has medium-chain amino acids that resemble human milk proteins for better gains), one each day for five days a week.
- D3 (2000UIs)
- Magnesium
- Potassium
- L-arginine
- Reishi mushroom extract

Workouts will vary daily with the rest day(s) being whenever I feel overrun or busy. Muscles will be divided into groups with varying intensities. Each weight workout is followed by a 1-mile run as fast as I am able to make it (8 minutes or better, usually). Workouts are done about an hour after I get up and on an empty stomach. Afterwards, the protein shake goes down and then the feeding window opens. By the time I get ready to leave for work, the window has closed again.

Staple foods are: eggs (cooked or raw in the shake), meats, poultry, fish, cruciferous, nuts, and dairy. My normal veggies and fruits will, naturally, still be in use.

I may adjust as I see fit. Stay tuned.

Replies

• Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I was saying to another member last night "I dont want to be skinny". Once I hit my goal, I plan on adjusting calories for muscle growth. Sounds like you have a solid plan, good luck!!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this plan would be good for females as well.... I'm also interested in gaining some toned muscle after weight loss
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wow! Impressive. What a great plan! I look forward to watching your incredible journey!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Have to decide how many days/week for each muscle group, set/rep structure, etc. I like doing 7x.5*gw (goal weight), 3x.75*gw, 10xgw, 10x.9*gw, 10x.8*gw. If I can do that, I move up in weight. Good luck.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Have to decide how many days/week for each muscle group, set/rep structure, etc. I like doing 7x.5*gw (goal weight), 3x.75*gw, 10xgw, 10x.9*gw, 10x.8*gw. If I can do that, I move up in weight. Good luck.

I can tell you this; in order to grow, I must:

1) Work each muscle group AT LEAST three times a week.
    2) Work out lightly even if I'm still sore a little but still have full range of motion.
    3) Get plenty of protein.
    4) Neglect no muscle groups. All muscles grow together.
    5) Constantly change the workouts to prevent adaptation.

These, for me, are absolutes. Try them.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Sounds like you have a plan!
  • 1MADGIRL
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

Sorry if this might seem obvious. I don't understand what you mean by 7x.5*gw (goal weight), 3x.75*gw, 10xgw, 10x.9*gw, 10x.8*gw
  • blambo61
    Options
    7x.5*gw would be 7 reps at 50% of goal weight. So if goal weight was 100-lbs, I would do 7 reps at 50-lbs. Same scheme for the rest of them. I like to do two warm up sets, 7 reps at 50% goal weight I will be lifting and then 3 reps at 75% of goal weight. I do that to avoid injury.
  • 1MADGIRL
    Options
    Thank you for explaining

That's pretty impressive!
  • 1MADGIRL
    Options
    Bob - how do you manage OMAD with lifting?
    I've read that we need to eat protein after a workout... so how would this work? I cant work out on an empty stomach and don't know what to do.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    I've read that we need to eat protein after a workout... so how would this work?
    Fact- A diet high in protein is essential to muscle growth.
    Myth- Protein must be ingested within (insert your favorite magic number) minutes of a workout to be effective.

There is some scientifically proven benefit to ingesting protein immediately after a workout, it may make a noticeable difference to professional athletes. For the majority of the population. ensuring you are getting enough protein (with your meals) will suffice. I supplement with protein, but I do it during my OMAD window.
  • 1MADGIRL
    Options
    Thank you that sounds perfect! So I'll eat before my workout.
    I probably lack in protein so I'll make sure to increase that :)
  • 1MADGIRL
    Options
    I definitely do not consume enough protein. I guess I need to increase my intake by adding protein shakes to my diet

For anyone interested: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/protein-amounts-in-food/

I've read that its recommended to consume 1g for every pound you weight if you are lifting.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Bob - how do you manage OMAD with lifting?
    I've read that we need to eat protein after a workout... so how would this work? I cant work out on an empty stomach and don't know what to do.

I've lifted a lot after a 19-hr fast. I did tend to bonk some doing that so I would sometimes eat a little something right before I went and that helped but didn't get me over it totally. Lately I've lifted in the morning and I've had enough glycogen in me by that time to get me through without bonking at all! I've never been a morning workout person (even when running track as a skinny kid) but I've been able to do it on OMAD. I have been taking protein supps at beginning of dinner, usually 2-scoops of whey protein (50g of protein). I actually lost about 6-lbs of muscle my first 4-months or so on OMAD (by InBody measurements) and that is when I started taking the protein supps. Later measurements said I gained all the muscle back.

I have never done a strict OMAD protocol (1-plate rule) and have always eaten ad libitum during my eating window of 4-hrs and also have not restricted carb content (I usually ate a desert after dinner). I have discovered recently that if I eat that way (usually about 2000-2500 cals) and take my protein, my morning blood sugar is high. I doesn't go high eating that many cals while taking the protein if I restrict carbs. I don't like carb restriction (tried for a week and that was it). I haven't tried lesser calories to see how that would work out. What I do now is I'm more in a mixed maintenance mode and still trying to lose but very slowly. I tried eating all three meals 5xweek and 20:4 2xweek for the last month and lifting/running in the mornings on my all three-meals days. I don't bonk doing that but I don't lose weight either. I've maintained my weight at 210 for a month doing that. This week I'm changing again to a 16:8 5xweek and 20:4 2xweek. I think I will start losing some doing that but it will be slower than most. I am now lifting/running after work again and since I'm eating some lunch (very controlled unlike dinner) I shouldn't bonk exercising after work. I ran for 45-min today and didn't have any problem. I'm splitting my protein between lunch and dinner. I will check to see how the blood sugar is in the mornings. It was good in the mornings when I did the 5xweek of three meals (split protein up during the day) and2xweek of 20:4.

I think for those doing OMAD with or without 1-plate rule would probably have the best results working out in the morning so you won't bonk. If you are eating ad libitum and taking protein, and not restricting carbs, I would check blood sugar in the morning. If you are doing 1-plate rule or restricting carbs, but I think you will probably be fine. My blood sugar thing could be something that is totally an individual thing also. I do think if you don't get adequate protein, you will lose some muscle.

If someone is very heavy, I think it may be a better plan to not worry about muscle loss so much and just do OMAD with the calorie restriction and get the weight off. I think that is the most important thing when really heavy. Both physically and motivation-wise, especially motivation-wise. Doing what I'm doing will take a long time to lose weight and I think could kill a person's motivation if they have a lot to lose. After the weight is at more reasonable healthy level, then transitioning to working out and worrying about the protein intake and all I think should be considered.
  • 1MADGIRL
    Options
    Wow, very descriptive. Thank you!
    I'm not a morning person but it seems to make sense if I change that and wake up early to exercise..

I don't have a lot left to lose (around 8 pounds) and since they're the last pounds I'm expecting them to take a long time to leave my body.

I will slowly try to start working out in the morning.
    Tonight though (since I'm already at work and its 9.30am where I am) I will workout tonight (new exercise plan) and see how I go. I find it really hard to get started because my mind is always telling me its probably for nothing and I'll never be tone. I find dieting a lot easier than working out.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Wow, very descriptive. Thank you!
    I'm not a morning person but it seems to make sense if I change that and wake up early to exercise..

I don't have a lot left to lose (around 8 pounds) and since they're the last pounds I'm expecting them to take a long time to leave my body.

I will slowly try to start working out in the morning.
    Tonight though (since I'm already at work and its 9.30am where I am) I will workout tonight (new exercise plan) and see how I go. I find it really hard to get started because my mind is always telling me its probably for nothing and I'll never be tone. I find dieting a lot easier than working out.

Don't want to hijack Joes thread here much more but on this topic, I found I didn't get hungry after morning workout sessions even though I didn't eat tell dinner. That was my main concern for working out in the mornings.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    NOTE: I have decided to drop DHEA. I will do a video on it--prostate issues!!!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Hope all is well!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Yes, things are great. It's been a festive few days with the girls.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Man, this bulking this is hard! I get tired of eating and miss the days of simple, meditative eating/living! Still, it's fun to set new goals. Progress has been good. Consistent size and strength gains. Onward and upward!