Interesting study for T1 diabetics

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
This is another article from the NEJM talking about a treatment using some injections into the lymphatic system which appear to improve beta cell function. This study was only n=6, but it is a follow up to another with similar results.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1616343?query=endocrinology

Pull quote from conclusion:
Direct injection of GAD-alum into the lymph node with administration of oral vitamin D was associated with preservation of residual beta-cell function in six patients with type 1 diabetes, as compared with historical age-matched patients with type 1 diabetes who received vitamin D alone4 or, in other immune-intervention trials,3,5 placebo. Our results appear to be similar to promising results observed in patients who received other immune interventions with or without placebo5

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen this is a very interesting development for the T1 folks and any one with autoimmune related health problems.

The Vitamin D remark also caught my attention.

At this point in time based on reading and my personal experience anyone with any condition should raise their Vitamin D test levels into the 75-100 range before they can expect the best health recovery in body, mind and/or spirit.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

Bump for me to pass on to a friend who has an adult son with T1.
  • rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen this is a very interesting development for the T1 folks and any one with autoimmune related health problems.

At this point in time based on reading and my personal experience anyone with any condition should raise their Vitamin D test levels into the 75-100 range before they can expect the best health recovery in body, mind and/or spirit.

Funny you should mention that. For years my vitamin D had been low and it may have been a big part of the problem. I started taken vitamin D 10000 IU and my last test shows to be in the very lower end of normal.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited March 2017
    Options
    rugged1529 wrote: »

Funny you should mention that. For years my vitamin D had been low and it may have been a big part of the problem. I started taken vitamin D 10000 IU and my last test shows to be in the very lower end of normal.

I was stuck in the 20's for two years after I started testing with is very dangerous. Finally after doing 20,000 units and added K2 supplement I have been at >93 for last two tests. The numbers keep going up as to what is normal but I expect anything >50 will help prevent premature death.

At first I did not know about the heart dangers of taking Vitamin D without taking Vitamin K2.

I am maintaining my Vitamin D levels by only talking 5000 units daily plus K2.
  • rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I was stuck in the 20's for two years after I started testing with is very dangerous. Finally after doing 20,000 units and added K2 supplement I have been at >93 for last two tests. The numbers keep going up as to what is normal but I expect anything >50 will help prevent premature death.

At first I did not know about the heart dangers of taking Vitamin D without taking Vitamin K2.

20000!!!! I thought I was doing it big. Are there any adverse side effects to taking that much vitamin D?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    This man claims his T1D resolved itself and seems to credit large doses of Vit C and D as well as long distance running.
    http://diabetestimes.co.uk/type-1-man-no-longer-requires-insulin/
    Honestly, I think he had the wrong diagnosis in the first place.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

20000!!!! I thought I was doing it big. Are there any adverse side effects to taking that much vitamin D?

I read on the subject for a few months. It​ seems that K2 makes Vitamin D less risky but I knew at my age/health status that my level of 22 in 2013 and 28 in 2014 was inviting death.

One MD in Brazil that went to med school in Florida wrote about reversing MS with daily Vit D levels of 50K to 150K units. Several USA doctor's called for 20K units daily to get into the 75-100 range. I have been at 5K for the last two years.

I don't advise others on taking supplements or how to best to eat. Supplements are not without major risks but there is research on most all supplements. Most of it will be outside of the USA in my experience. My OD degree helps the BS detector. Do be careful.