Exercise cals

Options
mjj79
mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
Since the cals your calculator recommends are so much higher than MFP, do you NOT eat back exercise cals? Thanks!

Replies

• TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Exactly. If you are using the EM2WL calculator, you exercise has already been added when you picked your activity level. Just make sure you don't underestimate your activity level.
    This was you don't have to log your exercise or if you enjoy logging it for the feed, you can put the burn as "1 calorie" burned.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL Team Member and Coach
  • mjj79
    Options
    Thanks for your quick reply! Now, any recommendations for using my Fitbit with EM2WL? MFP automatically adds cals from daily steps and I'm guessing I don't eat those extra cals?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Look at your weekly emailed Fitbit report - there is your average daily burn for that week.

Look at a running 3 week avg.

There's your TDEE.

You'd need to break the sync, and manually set MFP to that figure if maintaining, less 15% if deficit eating.

Can't have the Fitbit sync allowing MFP do adjustments to eating goal.

When workouts begin again - you may have to manually log some on Fitbit's app/site for accuracy of daily burn.
    Like lifting with any model is wrong - log as Weights on Fitbit.
    Most cardio is fine if HR-based calorie burn and HR is seen accurately.
    If step-based device with no HR, any cardio not step based would need to be manually entered - spinning, rowing, elliptical, swimming of course.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I underestimated my activity level on the EM2WL calculator, mostly because I have a desk job and thought with the amount I work out (4 days a week 45-90 mins with Martial Arts) - I should fall into the moderate category. Turns out I am at the strenuous level, I guess because the only place I really sit is at work - the rest of the time I am pretty much moving. The funny thing is - I am at strenuous with about 4500 steps a day, much of my movement is not steps. It just doesn't make much sense to me LOL.

I was trying to figure out my actual TDEE with my Fitbit one, but I have had a lot of issues with the Fitbit TDEE being WAY (300-500 per day) too low even when I add in my exercise there, I am not sure it actually added in my exercise calories to my daily calorie burn, I could never tell, but the workout calories never made it over to MFP - only calories for extra steps. Fitbit says 2300ish per day to maintain - I eat 2600-2800 a day now with with no gain. Might be a Fitbit one issue? I still haven't settled on the best way to actually figure out my TDEE other than upping calories more each week.

Right now I am using MFP at active and eating back about half of my exercise calories (which I log in MFP not Fitbit). If I set it at very active and maintain - that would probably be the closest. But the thing is - I really am not very active by their definition.

So my point is - the only way to really know is to just keep upping your calories slowly until you reach a point where you gain without losing it again.
  • mjj79
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Look at your weekly emailed Fitbit report - there is your average daily burn for that week.

Look at a running 3 week avg.

There's your TDEE.

You'd need to break the sync, and manually set MFP to that figure if maintaining, less 15% if deficit eating.

Can't have the Fitbit sync allowing MFP do adjustments to eating goal.

When workouts begin again - you may have to manually log some on Fitbit's app/site for accuracy of daily burn.
    Like lifting with any model is wrong - log as Weights on Fitbit.
    Most cardio is fine if HR-based calorie burn and HR is seen accurately.
    If step-based device with no HR, any cardio not step based would need to be manually entered - spinning, rowing, elliptical, swimming of course.
    heybales wrote: »

Ok, well, looking at past 3 weeks , my avg daily burn is 2990! How is that possible?! That means a 15% cut would be 2500 cals....I just can't believe I could lose weight on that?! Even without exercise?!!!! Oh dear. Now I feel even more scared that I'm not gonna lose the weight.
  • mjj79
    Options
    Oops. Somehow I accidentally put my reply on quotes too. I was trying to say that my bag TDEE over last 3 weeks is 2900 cals !
  • heybales
    Options
    Probably right - unless you find some issue with steps or distance being incorrect.

Like if your average daily stride length is shorter than default given, you are actually burn less in daily activity.
    Or if you have a lot of bogus serious steps, you are actually burning less.

Ask yourself what experience you have with calorie numbers to decide if 2990 sounds high.

Is it merely because you see most diets starting at 1200?
    Is it because you selected 2 lbs weekly and you were given 1400 here or something similar?
  • mjj79
    Options
    Yes and yes
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared! I know those big numbers can seem daunting when we have the 1200 calorie mantra burned into our brains!
    Just take it one step at a time. Don't be in a rush.
    Slowly increase your calories by around 100 per week.
    What is your previous dieting background before coming to EM2WL?
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • mjj79
    Options
    I've run the gamut....about 5 years ago I lost about 70 lbs doing medifast, which was 800 cals-1000 . Then I became ill with two autoimmune diseases and gained it back with interest. I tried eating that amount again, without their packaged foods, and didn't lose. I tried low carb, paleo, and even a metabolic reset with EM2WL. After that I never really found succes either and then, 17 months ago I became pregnant. I pretty much atebwhat I could tolerate while pregnant and gained 20 lbs. baby was born, I lost 10 immediately and then gained it right back, despite nursing and trying to make good food choices.
  • heybales
    Options
    So your body is under stress already with the diseases.

Add other life stress, potential food sensitivity stresses, ect.
    Under-eating (diet) to lose fat weight is a stress too.
    How much depends on your situation and genetics.

Once those go above the line of what your body can handle, it'll fight you.
    Same as there is that mental/emotional line you go above with stresses and breakdown of some sort occurs.

Control the stresses you can, minimize others.

Diet is under your control, and some body stresses become worse as the stresses pile on too.

Like some may have no food sensitivities until they go into a diet - then they start discovering things.
    Now, go out of the diet, and bam, no issues.

It sounds like even when you do take a deficit to lose fat weight - your reasonable amount will likely be less than what others could do with no issues.
    Just to keep in mind.
  • mjj79
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback!