good BG numbers T2D

Options
2t9nty
2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
I am just really pleased with the LCHF diet and my slowly dropping BG numbers. I have had a few good days this week.

Today
Morning fasting (11 hrs): 99
Before lunch: 95
1 hr pp supper: 116
2 hr pp supper: 110
Before bed: 94

I have been encouraged by some slow but steady weight loss. I don't get another blood draw with the panel and A1C until July, but the 14 day average on the meter is 107 right now, and the 30 day average is 109. I may have skewed the numbers a little with only 2 pp readings today, but still...

The recent change I have made is almost completely eliminating snacks mid-morning and mid-afternoon. My meals have (thus) been slightly higher in calories, and I have been more careful to hit my protein numbers.

I just wanted to share my happiness with all this.

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @2t9nty, you are pretty much there!

What's the lowest BG you ever see? How about before dinner?

Dr. Bernstein insists that diabetics are able - and entilted - to achieve non-diabetic BG levels, which he puts in the mid-80s, FBG.

Not much further to go, though it hardly seems necessary.

Congrats on your discipline and success - and the example you're setting for everyone who's seen your progress.

• 2t9nty
    Options
    I I have seen 78 one time. I have been in the mid 80's a couple of times. So this is just a small handful of times I have been under 90 since I started checking. Those have all been before the evening meal. I still get smacked by the dawn phenomenon sometimes and it does not seem to be predictable. Maybe it is related to dreams?

• RalfLott
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I I have seen 78 one time. I have been in the mid 80's a couple of times. So this is just a small handful of times I have been under 90 since I started checking. Those have all been before the evening meal. I still get smacked by the dawn phenomenon sometimes and it does not seem to be predictable. Maybe it is related to dreams?

I wonder about dreams. Seems one might have slightly higher cortisol levels from dreams about being chased by a fire-breathing dragon or ex-spouse, as opposed to the serenity of an LC meal.

I don't know if dreams are to thank, but I blew a neat 83 this morning. That was on 5 hours' sleep after 1000g of metformin, 5000g of melatonin, an extra glass of wine, and a lot of laughs with my 90-yo FIL, who just got hooked up with a new lady. Usually it's a bit higher..... :/
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I wonder about dreams. Seems one might have slightly higher cortisol levels from dreams about being chased by a fire-breathing dragon or ex-spouse, as opposed to the serenity of an LC meal.

I don't know if dreams are to thank, but I blew a neat 83 this morning. That was on 5 hours' sleep after 1000g of metformin, 5000g of melatonin, an extra glass of wine, and a lot of laughs with my 90-yo FIL, who just got hooked up with a new lady. Usually it's a bit higher..... :/

Laughter is excellent medicine!
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I blew a neat 83 this morning.

Sweet! I am not there yet, but someday soon perhaps...

The LCHF has taken the "peaks" out of my readings, and so the average is way down. Overall everything is slowly coming down, and that may be related to weight loss or just getting better at doing all this. As a priest I also have the grace option. It could be just unearned and undeserved. I am grateful for it whatever the reason, and I am trying to focus on good works.

• RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It does take a while for BG / A1c to settle down. (Lipids tend to be moving targets, too, until your weight has stabilized.)

You're obviously on the right track; I'll bet being grace- rather than sin-oriented is a primary ingredient!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You're doing fantastic! So happy to know you're in your groove!
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Thanks all - I know it is bad form to end zone dance (especially when you are not in the end zone yet). I was pleased though, and it never hurts to remember a good week if you have a bad one down the road.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Those numbers are looking really, really good! It's great that you shared this. It is motivating for me, and others I'm sure, to keep going because LCHF does work!

Congrats!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    "I know it is bad form to end zone dance (especially when you are not in the end zone yet).

I disagree; in this case it's great motivation for others and I assume for self-motivation, too!

Congrats, and keep up the good work!!

• RalfLott
    Options
    Thanks all - I know it is bad form to end zone dance (especially when you are not in the end zone yet). I was pleased though, and it never hurts to remember a good week if you have a bad one down the road.

No, that's good form, and >surprise!< - you're already in the end zone anyhow. Working your BG down further into double-digits from where you are is a two-point conversion in a game you've already got sewn up. And those *asparagus* fumbles, sacks & penalties we all experience, unless they're really bad :s, don't get in the way of winning records.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    msf920rlcydk.jpg

>:) or o:)
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    As far as the dawn phenom goes, try a tablespoon of Peanut butter or something with some protein and fat *right* before you go to bed. It helps the am numbers a lot it seems like. Ymmv.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So here's a fasting glucose question... I'm now officially on my chart listed as pre-diabetic, even though my new doc didn't mention it...just noted it...but not diabetic as of yet...

My most recent fasting labs (yesterday) show that my fasting glucose was 79, fasting insulin was 7.8, but A1c was still 5.4%, though calculated mean glucose was 108 instead of 103, which was the number at the last A1c of 5.4%.

6 months ago those same numbers were 91, 11.3, 5.4%, 103.

To me, this says my fasting level is good, but I'm still having glucose chaos during the day. Is that what it seems like to anyone in the know?

My trigs jumped 257% (from 94 to 242 in the last year). During that same time, my HDL dropped 11 points, and my LDL dropped 20 points, likely as a result of me dropping keto and pushing the higher end of low carb numbers (150+ grams carbs some days), but it also seems like the red flag of flaring thyroid issues AGAIN or possible kidney complications (been on the edge of concern for a while) or pancreatic stress (due to glucose flares, perhaps?)... Feel a little in Chaos atm...

@cstehansen @RalfLott - any knowledge to drop here?

EDITED TO ADD: This has scared me a good bit, but I'm not wanting to jump back in the deep end blindly, as that's just set me back before...
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss -

There's no way to know what's happening with your BG without measuring it - the more the merrier, so that trends clearly appear.

@cstehansen likes Chriskresser.com for A+ recommendations on how to test. (I followed something similar - waking, pre-prandial and 1- & 2-hour post-prandial for each meal, and bedtime for a solid year.) With lots of BG testing, you won't need A1c tests,

Note that the meter recs there are a bit dated. I don't think you can beat the Bayer Contour Next EZ meter for a cheap, accurate, and consistent device. Under $17 at Costco, sometimes around $10 on sale at CVS etc.

Helpful?

• RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @KnitorMiss - Here's a link to Chris Kresser's guide to testing:
    https://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-diabetes-and-heart-disease-for-16/

Here's a chart patterned after Dr. Bernstein's method for converting A1c to average BG:
    http://rajeun.net/HbA1c_glucose.html
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss - Dr. Nally seems to think trig numbers are more heavily affected by what you consumed in the 48-72 hours prior to test based on what he has seen in his practice when a keto patient has cheated shortly before the blood draw. If he is correct, that would mean the number is more volatile than the other numbers.

Given it is the most atherogenic (sp?) of the cholesterol components, it makes me think it is even more important to eat consistent in ways to avoid spikes. We know sugar and highly processed carbs (high GI foods) drive up trig numbers. So even if someone is not keto or even low carb, being slow carb consistently should help. Since you have had some problems with keto, perhaps focusing more on the slow carb direction is a good approach.

As for the Chris Kresser link, I do think that or some variation of it, is a good approach to understand your BG. Granted he is paleo and a skeptic of keto. One of the biggest concerns he raises about keto though seems to be more because of the people that go keto where the carbs they do eat are junk. He is clearly in the LC camp thinking 25-30% from carbs which is less than half of the 65% now being pushed in the US dietary guidelines.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am just really pleased with the LCHF diet and my slowly dropping BG numbers. I have had a few good days this week.

Today
    Morning fasting (11 hrs): 99
    Before lunch: 95
    1 hr pp supper: 116
    2 hr pp supper: 110
    Before bed: 94

I have been encouraged by some slow but steady weight loss. I don't get another blood draw with the panel and A1C until July, but the 14 day average on the meter is 107 right now, and the 30 day average is 109. I may have skewed the numbers a little with only 2 pp readings today, but still...

The recent change I have made is almost completely eliminating snacks mid-morning and mid-afternoon. My meals have (thus) been slightly higher in calories, and I have been more careful to hit my protein numbers.

I just wanted to share my happiness with all this.

Those are great numbers!
  • 2t9nty
    Options

Those are great numbers!

I want them that way every day, and sometimes the meter does not cooperate! Working on it...

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Those are great numbers!

I want them that way every day, and sometimes the meter does not cooperate! Working on it...

I hear you on that. I've been known to check my sugar again to make sure the meter is still working properly.