Cardio/Weight strengthing with gym machines

Options
gertie196
gertie196 Posts: 2 Member
I joined our local Y and they have all the machines for strengthing you can think of.
I really didn't want to but my weight was out of hand. I have developed Asthma in the last couple of years and wanted to try to get my health under control. I joined the Y in Jan -and I have already been able to lessen my meds. I feel lots better and hoping to go 3xweek to the gym. I manage to do a whole lot of cardio in just 35 mins and rest of the time 45 mins I do the weight liftingmachines and stepper to use up my 11/2 hr.
At this time I have lost 5 lbs and seem to be feeling a whole bunch better.

Replies

• lunarballooner
    lunarballooner Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking and smoking in January and joined the YMCA. I love the come as you are and get down to work atmosphere. I feel great and use the machines primarily. I can only go twice a week right now so I use the machines since I can do cardio at the house. I maximize my workout by alternating exercises and not resting between sets - i.e. go from bench to military press to squats to abs then back to bench, etc. for three sets.
    Substitute whichever exercises you like, the important thing is to move from machine to machine to give your muscles a chance to rest between sets while maintaining a high heart rate. I wear a Fitbit and monitor my heart rate and only allow as long as it takes to get set up (less than 1 minute) between exercises. Its like interval training with weight machines. The machines are ideal for this as they have different stations for the same muscle group and changing the weight is quick and easy. I did this once before a couple of years ago and got my best time ever on a 5k. didn't run a single mile beforehand.