Brad Schoenfeld - Facts and Fallacies of Fat Loss

Options
AnvilHead
AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
I posted this in the General Discussion forum, but it will quickly sink to the bottom under all the derp there so I thought I'd repost it here for a crowd who's more interested in evidence-based discussion:

Dr. Brad Schoenfeld presented this lecture at the 2016 NSCA Personal Trainers Conference. This presentation addresses many topics which are frequently discussed here on MFP, often with a lot of myths and misinformation propagated in the discussions. I recently came across it one of the fitness-related groups in my Facebook feed and thought it was worth sharing for anybody who's interested in a solid, scientific, evidence-based approach to numerous topics related to weight/fat loss: https://www.nsca.com/education/videos/facts-and-fallacies-of-fat-loss/

For those with short attention spans who don't want to spend the 50 minutes to watch the entire lecture (although you should, it's well worth the time), here's a timetable of where various topics are addressed:

01:03 - Ketogenic Diets
19:38 - CICO (Calories In, Calories Out)
20:12 - Nutrigenomics
23:56 - Meal Frequency
29:05 - Practical Implications for Meal Frequency
30:47 - Fasted Cardio
38:35 - Bottom Line re: Fasted Cardio
40:00 - 3500 calories = 1 lb. of weight loss, true or false?
40:39 - Adaptive Thermogenesis
44:11 - Leptin
45:04 - "The Oprah Effect"
46:21 - Summary re: Adaptive Thermogenesis and 3500 cal = 1 lb. fat loss
47:19 - Practical Applications for Mitigating Adaptive Thermogenesis

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What a shame he didn't also talk about Diet Coke and bread! ;)

Thanks for the link and trying to fight the good fight against the tide of derp.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Thanks for the link and trying to fight the good fight against the tide of derp.

We'll never win a war against a ceaseless tide. You know that old saying, "build something idiot proof, and they'll build a better idiot".

It's never been easier to find good information, and it's even being shoved out there for those not specifically looking. Yet still, there's no shortage of people who extrapolate condition specific advice to everyone, nor those who just want garcinia cambogia to work so badly that they can taste it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

We'll never win a war against a ceaseless tide. You know that old saying, "build something idiot proof, and they'll build a better idiot".

It's never been easier to find good information, and it's even being shoved out there for those not specifically looking. Yet still, there's no shortage of people who extrapolate condition specific advice to everyone, nor those who just want garcinia cambogia to work so badly that they can taste it.

Yea how about that. It's one reason I laugh with those following LCHF/KETO always use diabetic studies to support their claims. I am always like, "You having an broken endocrine system doesn't apply to all; you know that right? ". It would be the equivalent of me telling everyone that they need to eat 10,000mg of salt a day because my wife has an automonic disorder and if that is what science says about her condition, it must apply to all right?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Excellent lecture. Thanks for posting the link!
  • mmapags
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Yea how about that. It's one reason I laugh with those following LCHF/KETO always use diabetic studies to support their claims. I am always like, "You having an broken endocrine system doesn't apply to all; you know that right? ". It would be the equivalent of me telling everyone that they need to eat 10,000mg of salt a day because my wife has an automonic disorder and if that is what science says about her condition, it must apply to all right?

It's kind of funny but after being able to spend more time here recently after about 3 year when I couldn't due to various personal and professional life reasons, reading the main forums is like I never left. The same goofy stuff being posted every day by new people! :p
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

It's kind of funny but after being able to spend more time here recently after about 3 year when I couldn't due to various personal and professional life reasons, reading the main forums is like I never left. The same goofy stuff being posted every day by new people! :p

We wouldn't do it any other way. And it's good to have you back.
  • mmapags
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

We wouldn't do it any other way. And it's good to have you back.

Thanks man!