When to call the ambulance...

Options
KenSmith108
KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
A sample menu from the Mayo Clinic diabetes website:

When planning meals, take into account your size and activity level. The following menu is tailored for someone who needs 1,200 to 1,600 calories a day.

Breakfast. Whole-wheat bread (1 medium slice) with 2 teaspoons jelly, 1/2 cup shredded wheat cereal with a cup of 1 percent low-fat milk, a piece of fruit, coffee
Lunch. Cheese and veggie pita, medium apple with 2 tablespoons almond butter, water
Dinner. Salmon, 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil, small baked potato, 1/2 cup carrots, side salad (1 1/2 cups spinach, 1/2 of a tomato, 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper, 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar), unsweetened iced tea
Snack. 2 1/2 cups popcorn or an orange with 1/2 cup 1 percent low-fat cottage cheese

I get more calories, by this menu I get more carbs.
A carb only breakfast would set me up for the spike of spikes.
I don't pay their bills so what do I know.

>:) or o:)

Replies

• varia2u
    varia2u Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know how much carbs tgis adds up to. Just a quick look at it's safe to say it would put me over my max. Way to go, Mayo
  • varia2u
    varia2u Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @KenSmith108 I crunched the numbers. I wish I could post a screenshot.
    Carbs: 383
    Fiber: 42
    Sugars: 74
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    That breakfast reminds me of cereal commercials when I was a kid. "Part of this nutritious breakfast" that had sugary cereal, toast, and a giant glass of orange juice. lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    varia2u wrote: »

HOLY COW!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    This used to be my SO's version of a healthy breakfast and still what his 10 year old son prefers to eat when he comes for the weekend... sometimes skips the toast for a second bowl of cereal. I calculated the numbers once and suggested he just give him a can of soda and chocolate bar. Our bodies don't absorb most of those "fortified vitamins" anyway, so not much difference. Oh the look of horror at the suggestion lol.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I can't find the link but some time ago, it was calculated that a specific breakfast cereal was less nutritious, less filling and eminently less satisfying than the cardboard box it came in.... Although admittedly, this could be an urban myth... It wouldn't surprise me though.
    It's impossible to tell when the first link/page was published, but I will leave you to draw your own conclusions as to which article is more accurate and researched. Even the Snopes forum got in on the act....
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options

:#:#:# Yikes.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'd be a bit more than miffed if we're diabetic and read something like that. What's worse is someone sees it and believes it cuz Mayo Clinic. Very sad.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not even IR, and that menu strikes me as one that would leave me hungry. It's got no protein or vegetables at breakfast, is low protein, and probably not that many vegetables at lunch (whatever goes in the pita, I guess), and an okay but kind of high carb dinner. Snacks have some additional protein, at least, but again high carb and NOT particularly high fiber. Lame.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm not even IR, and that menu strikes me as one that would leave me hungry. It's got no protein or vegetables at breakfast, is low protein, and probably not that many vegetables at lunch (whatever goes in the pita, I guess), and an okay but kind of high carb dinner. Snacks have some additional protein, at least, but again high carb and NOT particularly high fiber. Lame.

That was exactly my thought. While I'm menopausal (and thus, possibly IR), that menu would make me MISERABLE! The breakfast would make the rest of the day virtually impossible.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    i thought this was a low carb thread? what?
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    i thought this was a low carb thread? what?

They are showing how bad some advise is by recommending these high carb meals.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yikes!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    383 gm carbs?? Dang!!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    A sample menu from the Mayo Clinic diabetes website:

When planning meals, take into account your size and activity level. The following menu is tailored for someone who needs 1,200 to 1,600 calories a day.

Breakfast. Whole-wheat bread (1 medium slice) with 2 teaspoons jelly, 1/2 cup shredded wheat cereal with a cup of 1 percent low-fat milk, a piece of fruit, coffee
    Lunch. Cheese and veggie pita, medium apple with 2 tablespoons almond butter, water
    Dinner. Salmon, 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil, small baked potato, 1/2 cup carrots, side salad (1 1/2 cups spinach, 1/2 of a tomato, 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper, 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar), unsweetened iced tea
    Snack. 2 1/2 cups popcorn or an orange with 1/2 cup 1 percent low-fat cottage cheese

I checked out their website:

"Appointments & care
    At Mayo Clinic, we take the time to listen, to find answers and to provide you the best care."

and -

"Mayo Clinic in Minnesota has been recognized as the best Diabetes & Endocrinology hospital in the nation for 2016-2017 by U.S. News & World Report."

Oh, really...? and who exactly are (or is) U.S. News & World Report"...?

"US News is a recognized leader in college, grad school, hospital, mutual fund, and car rankings"

They do love this word 'recognized', don't they? By whom? In comparison to what? And is it truly global or is it just hyped-up blurb.... I smell a fish that's 3 days old. Out of the fridge. In a warm kitchen.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know how much carbs tgis adds up to. Just a quick look at it's safe to say it would put me over my max. Way to go, Mayo

I think we need to change their name from Mayo clinic to Miracle Whip clinic.... their diabetes site is similarly full of carb crap.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yep! So many will accept this as truth since Mayo says so!

When i first began lchf (2 1/2 years ago!) I added up a typical days food and it wasn't unusual for me to consume 450 carbs a day! Plus, I thought i was doing good trying to follow the experts recommendations, and i was always hungry! Sooooo sad!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL That's how I ate, so healthfully, in my 20's to 30's while my body was working towards insulin resistance. :D
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    What's even more sad is that this would actually be an improvement for lots of people... would be a huge improvement for my sister
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I totally agree. Especially with that last part!