Berberine has arrived n=1

Options
2t9nty
2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
So the berberine has arrived, and I am going to take 500 mg with my metformin at breakfast and supper and see if it has any impact on my glucose levels in the evening and with the morning fasting reading. My afternoon readings are always low, and I am already taking metformin, so I decided to go with twice a day and not three times a day just to keep things simple.

FWIW, I read that milk thistle improves absorption, so I am taking a milk thistle capsule with the evening meds too. I will report back if there seem to be any significant changes in readings for me at this dosage, etc. If I don't see any impact in a couple of weeks, I may bump it up to 500 mg with each meal.

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Following your progress with interest.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm in, too. I wonder if the milk thistle helps due to the liver aspect...
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I too am following with interest.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    So far I have been taking this since Saturday. Average glucose readings seem about the same - maybe a little lower. Once I have been taking it a week, I'll give some averages for the week and for the previous week (with no berberine).
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Glucose last night before bed was 94. It was 91 this morning.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @219nty Some say Berberine will only lower BG levels if they are high to start with. Do you plan a test by being off Metformin for a few days? Thanks for the report.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @219nty Some say Berberine will only lower BG levels if they are high to start with. Do you plan a test by being off Metformin for a few days? Thanks for the report.

That's an interesting thought, as Metformin and Berberine are said to be similar, and Metformin doesn't produce hypoglycemia in non-diabetics, at least as far as I know.

It would be nice if a combination of the two would allow people who are sensitive to Metformin and/or don't have access to brand Glucophage to take a lower dose.
  • 2t9nty
    Options

I have been taking it in combination with the metformin. I have not looked at the numbers yet, but I don't "think" there has been any significant difference so far.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering if berberine would be beneficial for my daughter T1D. She is/was also insulin resistant. Before keto she was using 120+ units of fast acting insulin and 50 of slow every day.
    I'm not actually sure what her use is currently but her last time doing keto she had cut it by about 2/3.
    She still struggles with not cheating on keto though and blood sugars are hard to control with her lack of consistency.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thank you in advance for sharing your experience along the way.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

That's an interesting thought, as Metformin and Berberine are said to be similar, and Metformin doesn't produce hypoglycemia in non-diabetics, at least as far as I know.

It would be nice if a combination of the two would allow people who are sensitive to Metformin and/or don't have access to brand Glucophage to take a lower dose.

I expect I will stick with Berberine or a similarly acting herb since Dr. Phinney in his 2017 Down Under video talks about how some are doing Metformin just for its life extending potential. I do plan to stick with Nutritional Ketosis for the same reason.
  • 2t9nty
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Here are some numbers for you.

The first number is the mean glucose level for all readings in the day. The second number is the standard deviation so you can get some sense for variability.

Metformin only ____Metformin+Berberine
    6/12/17 112 5 _____6/19/17 101 2
    6/13/17 105 4 _____6/20/17 104 10
    6/14/17 105 8 _____6/21/17 99 8
    6/15/17 104 5 _____6/22/17 110 7
    6/16/17 111 5 _____6/23/17 104 6
    6/17/17 106 4 _____6/24/17 108 1
    6/18/17 104 4 _____6/25/17 108 11

Formatting did not work out the way I intended, but maybe you can still read it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Definitely interesting! @RalfLott - for someone like me, too, who can't afford to increase the dosage of Glucophage because they want to charge me the price different to Metformin PER PILL... Ugh. Doubles the copay each time the dosage increases...
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    The average for todays five readings is 119 - not a good day. It is a puzzle. Net carbs for the day were 9. I did not sleep well last night so that probably had some impact.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    What brand of Berberine do you recommend?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I went with Amazing Nutrition/Formulas Berberine but do not remember why. I see the reviews were positive about it being a replacement for Metformin. It is early but so far I have reordered once. 2x daily makes the cost about $10 monthly but I do not know the price of Metformin and other options. One should be monitoring blood glucose if taking a supplement like this in my view.

https://amazon.com/Amazing-Nutrition-Berberine-Plus-Capsules/dp/B01AGGTXM8

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins - Thanks for sharing this information.
  • RalfLott
    Options
  • RalfLott
    Options
    FYI, Consumerlab.com recently tested berberine supplements and found that the following brands had 90% or less of the stated amount:

Pura Organics, Lean Nutraceuticals, Double Wood, VitaCost, Pure Science, Only Natural, LongLifeNutri, Swanson, Biotics Research Corp.

@cstehansen @GaleHawkins
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    FYI, Consumerlab.com recently tested berberine supplements and found that the following brands had 90% or less of the stated amount:

Pura Organics, Lean Nutraceuticals, Double Wood, VitaCost, Pure Science, Only Natural, LongLifeNutri, Swanson, Biotics Research Corp.

@cstehansen @GaleHawkins

Thanks. Now I know to double or triple my dosage. :)