Hang-ups

Options
kcmsmith0405
kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
I have noticed a very bad hang-up that I have. Not sure how long this has been an issue, but I suspect for a very long time LOL, I have just been more aware of it lately and it was a problem on vacation.

I hate throwing away food... it feels wasteful so I tend to eat it, no matter if I am hungry or not. On vacation there was always too much food served/available and I felt that if I got something (even if just for a taste) I needed to eat it all. Buffet breakfasts and dinners killed me, and one time I had dinner then desert and the hotel owner brought another desert out as an anniversary present - so of course I had to eat it though it made me feel so terrible and sick. My husband did not have a similar need, you see where this is going.

"Free" food (aka food that someone else paid for and brought in etc.) is the worst! I feel guilty throwing it out when no one else eats it and I know I do not need to.

We have a snack box at work with all kinds of bad junk food (chips, candy bars, cookies, pretzels) for $1 each and I never touch it or even want to really. But, yesterday, a lady dropped off some Famous Dave's BBQ samples (after lunch was already eaten) and I found it almost impossible not to eat, even though I would never go to the restaurant to eat because it's not anywhere on my list of places I like to eat. And, did I mention, I was not remotely hungry - I had a nice filling lunch with lots of protein. Today I am faced with throwing it out or taking it home and, thankfully, I am not going straight home and I do not have a cooler so I have to throw it out.

At home, same thing, if there is a little bit left, I will eat it instead of throwing it out, and I do not even really know why!

I have to think this is the single worst food habit I have. I am trying to be more mindful and I have started asking myself the real cost of preventing "waste", because physically and mentally it makes no sense. And I am purposefully throwing out things that I would normally "save for later" or eat right there if they are not healthy protein packed options (and they never are LOL).

This is a habit/hang-up that I need to change for good. I need to find a way to feel good about throwing out and/or not eating everything on my plate.

Has anyone dealt with this and have any suggestions? And for the record I know it is completely irrational.

Kelly

Replies

• zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It's probably related to being told to eat everything on your plate, because of the poor starving people in Africa... ie you were programmed from birth by your parents (who likely went through times of food insecurity and had their own issues that were shared through the generations). So, for starters, acknowledge that it exists. Good job, step one done! From this point, it might help to work out where this compulsion developed. But it's probably more helpful to think of other options for the leftover food. Can you freeze it for a meal later in the week? Can you feed your dog the food? Can you start a compost heap, or worm-farm, or feed a neighbour's chickens? These are all environmentally friendly ways of minimising waste without eating beyond fullness... do you think any of these ideas will help?
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    I have tried the freezing thing- that does end up with me throwing it out months later LOL. Mostly this is not while I am home. I don't remember if my parents made us clean our plates or not honestly, and I don't know how long this has been an issue.

We do have a compost heap and I don't feed my dogs much people food other than protein, so that is not really an option.

I think maybe just being aware of it will help. Today at work I consciously threw out the free BBQ from yesterday, it was rather liberating :).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I just hate waste in general - and that applies to many things in my life besides food. Could be cheap, I mean, thrifty nature.

But same as you, eat what I take at buffets, even if small helping just testing, I feel obligated to finish (almost depending on problem with it).

I'll try to throw out some free asparagus I keep intending to put on salads and keep forgetting - too old now.

I'll take that BBQ!
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I think it's an issue many deal with. First step is you recognised it.
    Could be childhood or societal influences. Guilt associated with Have or have not.
    Pause when you still have food on your plate, and ask yourself if you are a. Still hungry? B. Food still taste good?
    Lots of foods taste not so good when they start getting cold. Like fries for instance. Delicious piping hot, but if it's a big serving, cold and soggy by the end.
    Challenge yourself to do this say 3 x week and see how it goes. The goal is not to form a new habit of NEVER finishing a meal (that would just bring a new set of issues!) but to become more in tune with your hunger and taste buds.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    very good suggestions Ichel - I will do that.
  • Truckerwife92207
    Truckerwife92207 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with food. We were taught "if you put it on your plate, you eat it." So I have "clean plate syndrome." Mine is so bad, that I will clean my husband's plate too if he leaves anything.

I read a book many many years ago called Intuitive Eating. It had a topic regarding this very issue and I learned 2 very important lessons:

1) There is no such thing as "free" food; one way or another I will "pay" for it. Whether it is in guilt, discomfort, or extra sweat. I try to ask myself if the payment is really worth it and how much am I willing to pay.

2) If we throw away food we do not need it is called Waste. If the body does not need it, it becomes Waist. You choose which you prefer.

While it is still very difficult for me to throw away food or to turn away "free" food, I try to remember these lessons and it gives me ammo when fighting with my brain/willpower when deciding whether or not the food I know I don't need is worth it.

PS. I have discovered that Cheesecake is impervious to all ammo. ;)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Waste is waste - no matter how it goes out of the house - brilliant!
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Thanks Truckerwife :D