Argh! Stupid fasting...

Options
sisterlilbunny
sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
Okay seriously. I've read too much and I'm getting sick of attitudes from Facebook. I make BPC with coconut oil and ghee. I tried to do a 20 hour fast with only said BPC since most of what I read said keep it under 400/BPC is ok. Now I'm getting told that it was a pointless endeavor from the first sip.

Is there an end all be all source out there or is it one of those I can do better than you so nyeah types of deals? So frustrated. I did okay otherwise. :(

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Much of the fasting research regarding things like the 5/2 fast (eat 5 days then fast 2) and alternate day fasting actually use 500 calories on the "fast" days.

Here is an interview with one of the experts on fasting that you may find useful:

https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalk/episode007/

I know Jason Fung gets referenced a ton when the topic of fasting comes up, and he is great as a clinician, but this guy is a researcher, so the perspective is a bit different.

This podcast is a science podcast, not a health podcast, so they just look at the science behind all kinds of things.
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting tis podcast. it was very interesting
  • sisterlilbunny
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm a new fan of Jason Fung and am working through his information too. The fat fast sounds like what I was going for, thank you Steph!! It felt really good and doable as a 24 or 36 hr thing.

And @RalfLott you aren't kidding. Dropping out of the crap over there. Now that I know how to find you guys on my phone I have no excuse. Sorry for the ARGH moment there...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine if you need the calories but that a full on fast is probably more effective. However, if you cannot do that, use the BPC adding as little as you need to get through.
    You don't want to combine fasting with it without fat with calorie deficit days too though. Fasting with the fat added is essentially just a very low calorie day. It wouldn't be a good idea to combine that with having a calorie deficit every other day of the week.
    Weather you add BPC or not, you'll want to make sure you have a feast day as part of your fast/feast protocol.
    Fasting with calorie deficit is just having extreme calorie deficit days along with less calorie deficit days...
  • sisterlilbunny
    Options
    Okay I think I like that idea better, and, it wouldn't freak people out as much. More of a 5:2 right? That isn't as scary sounding and I could still have my oil/butter. ;D That might also help with the OMG I NEED FOOD days if I time my week out right.

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Might want to run your numbers through this calculator, it shows how much fat supplementation you might need if you are close to your body's goal weight.

http://blog.2keto.com/why-fasting-is-easier-for-some-people/

Some of us will need some supplementation of fat and others, not so much.

Really FB is so full of diet shamers, trolls, etc. Groups should be avoided at all costs over there.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @baconslave - this is a great thread with fasting info - and the various types, etc.
  • damorere
    damorere Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been doing various types of intermittent fasting off and on for several years and really like both alternate day fasting and limited eating windows (I currently eat between 3 & 8 pm). I recently tried a fat fast and really do like it. One potential advantage of fat fasting is additional muscle sparing. But, as others have said - do what works for you and don't worry about what other people think.