Diabetes and Intermittent fasting.

Options
Alaplum
Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
For those of you who have diabetes and do intermittent fasting do you wait to take your morning meds with food? Or do you just take them when you first eat. That leaves two doses pretty close together doesn't it?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Bouddie wrote: »
    For those of you who have diabetes and do intermittent fasting do you wait to take your morning meds with food? Or do you just take them when you first eat. That leaves two doses pretty close together doesn't it?

Hiya, @Bouddie!

Which meds did you have in mind?

FYI, I take Metformin (actually brand Glucophage) right before bed and again as soon as I wake up, about 7 hours apart. (My BG tends to start higher and drift down during the day, and I usually eat my first meal around 6 hours after my first dose.)
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I mean metformin, sorry I didn't think about the other kinds. I take a 1000mgs twice a day. Alright! so I can take it on an empty stomach. cool! Thanks for the answer!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    You can if your stomach can tolerate it. GI peace was one of the advantages of switching to brand name Glucophage XR (the other being lower BG).

If you've never had GI discord from meyformin, you might give it a try, perhaps starting with half a tablet.

(Hypoglycemia should not be a concern.)
  • CReg6366
    CReg6366 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The first two to three days that I started intermittent fasting, I got sick when I took my metformin and januvia in the morning on an empty stomach. Since my body is now accustomed to the fasting I have not gotten sick if I take it first thing in the morning. If I forget to take my medication in the morning I will take it at lunch time with food.