Normal Cholesterol (FINALLY)!!

Options
ladipoet
ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
Hey there everyone, I've been kind of scarce on the LCHF MFP boards lately and my apologies for that; however, I recently got some good news that I just had to share:

11/2014 (a couple of months into starting LCHF / Keto)
(Good) HDL Cholesterol 31 mg/dL
(Bad) LDL Cholesterol 118 mg/dL
Triglycerides 132 mg/dL
Total Cholesterol 175 mg/dL
Chol/HDLC Ratio 5.6

09/2015 (still in the weight-loss phase)
(Good) HDL Cholesterol 44 mg/dL
(Bad) LDL Cholesterol 157 mg/dL
Triglycerides 76 mg/dL
Total Cholesterol 216 mg/dL
Chol/HDLC Ratio 4.9

09/2016 (couple of months into maintenance)
(Good) HDL Cholesterol 64 mg/dL
(Bad) LDL Cholesterol 212 mg/dL
Triglycerides 61 mg/dL
Total Cholesterol 288 mg/dL
Chol/HDLC Ratio 4.5

07/2017 (fully in maintenance now for just over year and at a relatively stable weight)
(Good) HDL Cholesterol 65 mg/dL
(Bad) LDL Cholesterol 73 mg/dL
Triglycerides 35 mg/dL
Total Cholesterol 145 mg/dL
Chol/HDLC Ratio 2.2

This is the first time in my entire life that I can ever remember having just about perfect cholesterol...took me long enough to get there too!! lol Good thing I kept telling my Doctor to chill where the cholesterol numbers were concerned! :p

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. :)

Show your doctor this video. Maybe you just weren't eating enough calories in fat before while losing. ;)
    Dave Feldman - 'The Dynamic Influence of a High Fat Diet on Cholesterol Variability' at Low Carber Down Under 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZu52duIqno
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I hope to get there someday too!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Show your doctor this video. Maybe you just weren't eating enough calories in fat before while losing. ;)
    Dave Feldman - 'The Dynamic Influence of a High Fat Diet on Cholesterol Variability' at Low Carber Down Under 2017.

Great video! Thx for posting.
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2017
    Options

Dave Feldman - 'The Dynamic Influence of a High Fat Diet on Cholesterol Variability' at Low Carber Down Under 2017

Anyone interested in Feldman's fascinating research on nutrition and lipids might enjoy reading Michael Eades' recent thoughts. The comments to Eades' article have replies by both Eades and Feldman. Highly recommended!
    https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2017/07/25/how-to-lower-your-cholesterol/

And here's Feldman's website:
    http://cholesterolcode.com/
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet Was it hard to remain confident that the numbers were eventually going to go down? A coworker at work recently found out his total cholesterol is 400-something!! He said switched his regular sugar consumption to honey. I asked him if it were the same thing? The body would process honey the same as it processes regular sugar. He and another coworker argued that honey is heart healthy and lowers cholesterol. No point in arguing with people who know and who's doctor recommended honey... I didn't want to recommend eating LCHF and cause an all out war lol
    What fats were you predominantly eating?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Good you got your "numbers" where you want them @ladipoet. Kudos on that!

Thanks for posting the video @nvmomketo. It was incredibly interesting.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Hey there everyone, I
    07/2017 (fully in maintenance now for just over year and at a relatively stable weight)
    Triglycerides 35 mg/dL
    Chol/HDLC Ratio 2.2

This is the first time in my entire life that I can ever remember having just about perfect cholesterol...took me long enough to get there too!! lol Good thing I kept telling my Doctor to chill where the cholesterol numbers were concerned! :p

APPLAUSE to your results, but especially your dedication!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Anyone interested in Feldman's fascinating research on nutrition and lipids might enjoy reading Michael Eades' recent thoughts. The comments to Eades' article have replies by both Eades and Feldman. Highly recommended!
    https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2017/07/25/how-to-lower-your-cholesterol/

And here's Feldman's website:
    http://cholesterolcode.com/

Thanks for sharing that!

@kpk54 I found it amazing how fast cholesterol levels could change. I had no idea they were that variable!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    lpina2mi wrote: »
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Hey there everyone, I
    Triglycerides 35 mg/dL
    Chol/HDLC Ratio 2.2

APPLAUSE to your results, but especially your dedication!

And your knowledge of how lipids roam the keto desert until your weight has stabilized. My hero!
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet I'm so happy for you! Great numbers and progress!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    @ladipoet I'm so happy for you! Great numbers and progress!

Hey, how ya been?