Unlearn, rethink the "essential reading" (a pretty good list!) (from Diet Doctor, but not his list)

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Yay, new stuff for my reading list!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Impressive list. :) Thank you!
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great info, but I don't know where to start. Any recommendations, anyone? (Damn it - I wish I wasn't a slow reader). :#
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    EggToni wrote: »
    Great info, but I don't know where to start. Any recommendations, anyone? (Damn it - I wish I wasn't a slow reader). :#

Hmm. Depends what your goal is. ??

For a good intro to LC, I still like Phinney and Volek's books. The more technical ones are Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living and Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. They are loaded with facts and insights. However, the simplified New Atkins for a New You is a great practical, comprehensive intro to keto with sample meal plans.

Wired to Eat, Undoctored, and Fat for Fuel pull together a lot of info and are pretty easy reading. Undoctored is also funny. They'd all be good as audio books.

If diabetes is a concern, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a wall-to-wall gold mine.

Phinney, Volek, and Bernstein are in the eat-your-protein camp and aren't fans of longer fasts.

PS The Dorito Effect is a hilarious and depressing peek below the dirty sheets of the food tech revolution of the last 50+ years.

• lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm this blog post is a great find--thank you. I exercise for strength and stamina and flexibility and central core stability. I eat whole foods for nutrition and longetivity. I'm 58y without pharma scripts and generally successful at keeping chronic inflammation tendencies from flareups via diet+hydration+sleep+exercise+being out-of-doors. I'm new to LCHF & IF to lose the poundage around my middle that I've had for last 20y. Hence this post is useful as I incorporate LCHF into my healthy-living toolbox. (Down 16lbs since Feb2017).
  • kpk54
    Options
    I needed to be convinced that fat wasn't going to kill me so I started with The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat & Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet. @EggToni
  • EggToni
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    EggToni wrote: »

Hmm. Depends what your goal is. ??

For a good intro to LC, I still like Phinney and Volek's books. The more technical ones are Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living and Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. They are loaded with facts and insights. However, the simplified New Atkins for a New You is a great practical, comprehensive intro to keto with sample meal plans.

Wired to Eat, Undoctored, and Fat for Fuel pull together a lot of info and are pretty easy reading. Undoctored is also funny. They'd all be good as audio books.

If diabetes is a concern, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a wall-to-wall gold mine.

Phinney, Volek, and Bernstein are in the eat-your-protein camp and aren't fans of longer fasts.

PS The Dorito Effect is a hilarious and depressing peek below the dirty sheets of the food tech revolution of the last 50+ years.

Thanks! The Dorito Effect seems to be up my alley.
  • EggToni
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I needed to be convinced that fat wasn't going to kill me so I started with The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat & Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet. @EggToni

Awesome - I'm buying this one today. Thanks!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    <bunnies>
  • kpk54
    Options
    Bump. Someone may want to add one of these many books to their Christmas List. I'm sure I probably did not count accurately but there's about 102 books on the list for your reading enjoyment.

I may have missed "The Hungry Brain" by Stephan Guyenet but reading it was a game changer for me in regards to gaining insight into some of my excessive tendencies and my food choices regarding them. He's somewhat on the fringe of low carb being more of a whole foods guy.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Sabine!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    That is a fabulous list! thanks for that link.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Bump. Someone may want to add one of these many books to their Christmas List. I'm sure I probably did not count accurately but there's about 102 books on the list for your reading enjoyment.

I may have missed "The Hungry Brain" by Stephan Guyenet but reading it was a game changer for me in regards to gaining insight into some of my excessive tendencies and my food choices regarding them. He's somewhat on the fringe of low carb being more of a whole foods guy.

He sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the suggestion.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Bumping since this is a gold mine of knowledge.

I just bought "Undoctored" and "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living" since my circle of libraries didn't have either one. I decided I'm going to buy more books on amazon or get them from libraries and gain more knowledge.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed Undoctored too. Requested it from my local library. Had to wait a bit as it was pretty popular and all copies were out on loan.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Finished reading Undoctored by Dr. Davis. I call it a must read in my case. Good science.