Prediabetes Screening Risk Factors (Most docs can't ID.. .)

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
94% of PCPs surveyed could not identify 11 (of 13) risk factors for prediabetes.
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/prediabetes-risk-unrecognized-by-most-pcps/

*Body mass index ≥25 kg/m2

*Age>45y/o

*Hypertension (Part of the metabolic syndrome)

*Dyslipidemia, (Part of the metabolic syndrome)

*Heart disease

*Family history of diabetes in a first-degree relative

*Sedentary lifestyle

*Races with darker skin as African-Americans, Asian-American, HIspanics, American Indian, Alaskan Natives, Chinese, Asian Indians, and Chinese

*History of gestational diabetes or women who have had a baby that weighed more than 9 lb (4kg) at birth are at higher risk

*Low birth weight; people who weighed less than 5.5 lb (2.5kg) at birth are more likely to get type 2 diabetes later in life

*High visceral fat around the abdomen

*Smoking

*Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)

[The following risk factors are more for screening for diabetes:

Increased Urination
Increased Thirst
Increased Hunger
Fatigue ]

Replies

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    "Although 42% of the respondents found the ADA guidelines helpful, 30% were unfamiliar with them."

I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    "Although 42% of the respondents found the ADA guidelines helpful, 30% were unfamiliar with them."

I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I trust the ADA in terms of getting people with diabetes enlisted; it's their stubborn resistance to the thought of discharging anyone that's so scurrilous....
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL I really don't fit any of those risk factors! LOL :D

Well, my last child was 9lbs but we are a big family - professional football players. Plus he was almost 22 inches tall at birth so he needed the mass; he was actually a slim baby. <3 No gestational diabetes.

My older too were practically considered runty by my family. ;)

Hmm. My hip to waist ratio is around 81% so I do/did have visceral fat. That could be better...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    LOL I really don't fit any of those risk factors! LOL :D

Well, my last child was 9lbs but we are a big family - professional football players. Plus he was almost 22 inches tall at birth so he needed the mass; he was actually a slim baby. <3 No gestational diabetes.

My older too were practically considered runty by my family. ;)

Hmm. My hip to waist ratio is around 81% so I do/did have visceral fat. That could be better...

@nvmomketo - My daughter was 21.75 inches, but only 8 pounds 3 oz!!! LOL She had linebacker shoulders (sigh) and is a now slim, taller than me but still fairly short almost 17 year old...

It's crazy the path my health took after the stress of pregnancy and childbirth... I talk to folks all the time about it... No GD or thyroid probs at the time, either...THANKFULLY...

Sadly, I fit about half of the risk factors above, which I already knew...