Going out tonight - Alcohol ?

Options
Hi - I am on day 6 of Keto...I want to continue the way I am doing (max 25g of carbs).

I am going out tonight..should I have alcohol? if so, which kind?

Thanks,

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Wine is @ 1 carb per oz. Hard liquors the same. Beer is all over the place from low carb to a 8 oz glass that would take all your carbs.

So probably a glass of wine or a shot of hard liquor. Just remember you body burns the alcohol first, so not fat burning probably tonight.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Life is so much simpler when you don't actually drink! I always have a shot of soda water with a slice of lemon. I also tell people that (a) I'm driving and (b) I'm quite happy with no alcohol, thanks but, hey, whatever floats their dinghy....

Soda water is also saline, which keeps both your fluid intake AND sodium up.... and if you want a small measure of wine in it, then you've got a long cool drink you can nurse for a while.....
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    manleyr14 wrote: »
    I would reread why you want to get in shape on your profile and then make a decision.

That's actually the best advice I've read so far.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    H2O:Booze = 32:1
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Many tend to be a very cheap date while keto-ing, just a word of warning.... It can hit you suddenly and fast.
  • Antaste
    Antaste Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Many tend to be a very cheap date while keto-ing, just a word of warning.... It can hit you suddenly and fast.
    Yep! If you're going to drink, and you're on a keto diet, drink less and/or slower than you would "normally".
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    you already went out but vodka is usually a great choice. just don't mix with carb-y things. i have it at home and mix with a sparkling ice or a la croix. i also budget for a glass of red wine on occasion [because i love red wine].
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Great choice. Moderation is good. For me, avoidance is best. I don't need it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @baconslave - This will be a good one about alcohol to add to the sticky...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My standard drinks when going out are either
    Tequila and club soda with lime in a salted glass (that's my favorite) or gin (I prefer Bombay Saphire) and club soda.
    I have learned that I must specifically say "not tonic, I need club soda" because they kind of go into autopilot and make them with tonic about half the time if I don't say that.
    If they seem to react funny to it I just say 'Sorry, I really can't have sugar' and they immediately seem to lighten up about it. It's rare, but I have had bar tenders look at me kind of weird like I'm being difficult or something and that simple explanation seems to chill them out. It really is rare though.
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My standard drinks when going out are either
    Tequila and club soda with lime in a salted glass (that's my favorite) or gin (I prefer Bombay Saphire) and club soda.
    I have learned that I must specifically say "not tonic, I need club soda" because they kind of go into autopilot and make them with tonic about half the time if I don't say that.
    If they seem to react funny to it I just say 'Sorry, I really can't have sugar' and they immediately seem to lighten up about it. It's rare, but I have had bar tenders look at me kind of weird like I'm being difficult or something and that simple explanation seems to chill them out. It really is rare though.

Does slimtonic has sugar too? That's been my go to drink lately.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of coffee and Jameson or semi-dry white wines for nights out.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    whiskey and diet coke when out. And now I'm dying for some.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Vodka and diet tonic or soda water for me. Yum!
  • Figaver
    Figaver Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My 2 favorites are vanilla vodka and soda or gin and soda with half a lime squeezed in. Although, I've found that I do not lose weight if I drink alcohol and I have problems with moderation. So lately I have been staying away completely, maybe having 2 drinks on a Saturday every other week. Great improvement considering I was drinking a whole bottle of prosecco 5 nights a week just a few months ago
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Whiskey or scotch on the rocks for me - don't pollute my alcohol with that other silliness! :smiley: