Looking For Reviews of Beginners Guide To Strength Training

Options
I'm looking for guidance with strength training. I've read NROLFL and it basically said if you don't have access to ALL the equipment specified, you can't build more muscle using this book. I'm definitely paraphrasing here but that was my take on it. I don't have access to squat racks and I have no room for a home gym. My employer set up a fitness room for us with dumbbells, a punching bag, and a really nice cable machine along with some cardio equipment.

Now my question is, is the book EM2LW puts out worth $47.00? That's a lot of money for a book and if it's going to say the same thing as NROL, then I don't need to waste my money, I'll just keep doing my own research. But if it can give me the guidance I need to get stronger with the equipment I have access too, I'll be glad to purchase it.

Replies

• TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hello there!

In the Begginers Steength Training Manual page, there are a few reviews that give you an idea of what is going on: https://eatmore2weighless.mykajabi.com/p/bstm-only , including one from someone who purchased if after doing NROLW.
    Regarding the equipment, you won't need more than what you mentioned above. Of course, a barbell is always a great idea, but you can definitely used dumbbells instead. A Swiss ball and bands are also used. But you won't need other machines and you can definitely do without a squat rack.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach

• cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks @TerezaToledo
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    Anytime! Let me know if I can help you with anything else. By the way, have you joined our FB community yet? EM2WL will be hosting a free Crushing the Diet Bootcamp next week, only for folks who are in the FB community. Join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1754102281470874/

Team EM2WL Certified Trainer and Coach
  • cinblog1965
    Options
    @TerezaToledo yes I joined. I'm hoping I can do the boot camp. The workshop that last ran didn't work with my schedule. I'm not able to get in front of my pc much at night, too busy getting everything ready for the next day.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    I'm glad you joined! The bootcamp is much shorter and will give you a glimpse of what goes on. It is a 5 day event and starts on Wednesday. You can definitely do it in your own time. It's definitely worth it!
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    I just received this review from J. Turner on the BSTM (unedited):

"In my opinion, the BSTM is one of the most concise and well-written manuals/handbooks on strength training I’ve read. Here’s why:

1. Advocates for fueling your body properly for max results. Sooo counterintuitive to what my first trainer drilled in me. Nearly starved but I got results that didn’t last. NO MORE!

2. Advocates placing priority on increasing weights for body transformation.

3. Clearly outlines rep ranges for different goals/purposes. Completely takes the mystery out of it.

4. The hyperlinked video demonstrations of all exercises are priceless!

5. Static vs dynamic stretching— so important but isn’t commonly discussed in mainstream exercise material (or I haven’t noticed it).

6. Comforting discussions about the realities of strength training (i.e. increased pant size and non scale indicators of progress).

7. LOVE the workout plans broken down into various phases you might say. I’ll be using this format exclusively in another two-three weeks. The BSTM was written by authors (the ones I’m familiar with) who have achieved results using similar plans so results are likely to follow for those who follow along closely and push themselves. "

Tereza
    Team EM2WL Certified Trainer and Coach
  • cinblog1965
    Options
    I'm going to have to look into it after I finish the 4 periodization workouts I'm doing. I am on the first now, Surge, and love it. In 2 weeks I start Evolve which will last 8 weeks and then I'll go to Strength. I love these workouts. They are too-the-point, without a lot of extra reading involved.

Wonder if after I've purchased these 4 workouts if I've basically purchased the workout info from BSTM though.