The pre-op liquid diet

Options
Am I destined to be tired and unmotivated the whole 10 days of the pre-op? I am on day 2 of my Dr's full liquid diet.
I am feeling super tired and exhausted. Any tips on how to re-claim my energy? My part-time job requires physical activity and I hardly have any to give it. Ideas? Anyone?

Replies

• thechadtx
    thechadtx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was pretty tired and miserable for the first 3 days. After that, it was just about being hungry. You'll be ok after the ketosis actually kicks in. I felt a million times better after that initial few days.

Best of luck. Your surgery date will be here before you know it.
  • gettingdownto150
    gettingdownto150 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for the response! I've been hoping that the first few days would get me over the hump. My week gets busier after tomorrow and I'm hoping for more energy to power through! You have given me hope that I will have it!
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I start my doctor’s clear liquid diet on Friday, and I will be traveling by plane for much of the two weeks. I did a 3.5 day trial run starting last Friday and through my EGD today. I was pretty wiped out. I ordered some B-12 patches, which my doc says is good. You could try sublingual B-12 instead. You can get it anywhere they sell vitamins.
  • ppmintpatty
    ppmintpatty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I found that after the first three days I actually had a lot of energy. It's the ketosis kicking in.
  • gettingdownto150
    Options
    Good to know about the B-12. I might try that. I have some B-12 gummies but after checking out the carbs, I wonder if maybe the sublingual wouldn't be a better choice.

I woke up feeling significantly better this morning. Today is only day 3, but maybe it will be better! I sure hope so! Thanks, all you people for the support and care!
  • melissaglover5823
    melissaglover5823 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do a variety of protein drinks. The b12 does help. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. It’s important to stay hydrated. If you are dehydrated it will cause fatigue. It will get better!
  • gettingdownto150
    Options
    Do a variety of protein drinks. The b12 does help. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. It’s important to stay hydrated. If you are dehydrated it will cause fatigue. It will get better!

Thanks, Melissa! I appreciate the input! For sure the reminder to stay hydrated! Maybe that was part of my problem.

Day 4 is done, and I'm feeling quite a bit better. Although I still tire easily. Today was a harder day appetite-wise. I wanted so badly to actually EAT something. Any advice for that problem?
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    So many people have had to go through this but my pre-op liquid diet was only for the day before my surgery! I had to drink a laxative in the morning and another one in the afternoon, no liquids after midnight. That's it!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Different doctors have different theories on this. Bottom line is do whatever they recommend. Definitely need to fast that last 24 hours.