Getting my proverbial ducks in a row

Options
.. before I start this keto journey. I'm mainly concerned about Thanksgiving (and all the carb-heavy temptations that my family makes).
I joined this group hoping that we can help each other stay accountable.
If any of yall could drop a tip or two to this newbie (maybe a recipe too?) I'd appreciate it!

Replies

• Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. Eat more dark meat. We've been told that the white meat is better, but on keto, you go for higher fat. And, just because we eat more fat and less carbs, does not mean you can go whole-hog on fat. Figure out your macros, and stick to it. Do your best not to go over your protein, keep your carbs low, and eat fat to keep you satisfied. If you start feeling light-headed or get a headache, drink pickle juice or chicken broth. You can also add pink salt to water and drink that, but that's gross IMO! LOL!

One big thing...as you are just starting out, keep it simple! Don't try any fancy recipes just yet. Thanksgiving is a hard holiday to start out on as it is very carb heavy in a lot of its traditional foods. So realize that your favorite T-Day foods are not keto friendly. Make a nice green leafy salad with ranch dressing to help fill you up and hopefully you won't miss the other stuff as much. Deviled eggs are good.

Forget low fat condiments and foods. Look for sugar free instead. Get pink salt and use it liberally. It will help combat keto flu. Lazy keto means they only keep track of carbs. Just starting out, it may be helpful to track the other macros as well as calories until you are comfortable knowing how much you are consuming. Keto strips are not necessary, but may help you feel more comfortable knowing if you are in ketosis or not.

Drink a lot of water! 64 oz or more. You will urinate a lot in the beginning, but that's normal. You may be constipated or you may get diarrhea. It all depends on how your body processes all that fat in the beginning. But headaches, lightheadedness, etc means you are low on electrolytes. Pickle juice/broth will help.

There is so much more I wish I had known before I started. There are a lot of differing opinions on the 'net. Research, keep in tune with your body and find out what works for you. Good luck!

Oh...also, just because something says low-carb does not make it keto. Check ingredients first before checking the nutrition. People on low-carb diets (not keto) can eat up to 100 grams of carbs. Keto aims for under 30 grams, 20 is better. I just looked at a recipe someone posted in another thread. Carbs are low...net carbs of 4 grams. If you plan around it, it's ok. But that recipe was for 1/4 cup. That's pretty small for the amount of carbs ingested. So you want to keep an eye out for things like that. If you're going to consume carbs (ie. sugar) make sure it counts!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I disagree on one part of this - on protein - do your best not to be UNDER your limit on protein!!! Do not worry about going over it unless you're tripling your goal! (health issues aside)

Carbs are a hard limit.

Protein is a MINIMUM goal range.

Fats fill in the rest, only to satiety.

As far as the meal, if you feel like a small portion of something will keep you from overeating, have a small spoonful (2-3 bites) of any given dish - just eat as little as possible of anything starchy or sweet. Go for a walk or do dishes after the meal... Each day/week/holiday gets easier!

Drink to thirst - and watch urine color for signs of dehydration, but don't force feed water - that will worsen the electrolyte imbalances.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I disagree on one part of this - on protein - do your best not to be UNDER your limit on protein!!! Do not worry about going over it unless you're tripling your goal! (health issues aside)

Carbs are a hard limit.

As far as the meal, if you feel like a small portion of something will keep you from overeating, have a small spoonful (2-3 bites) of any given dish - just eat as little as possible of anything starchy or sweet. Go for a walk or do dishes after the meal... Each day/week/holiday gets easier!

Drink to thirst - and watch urine color for signs of dehydration, but don't force feed water - that will worsen the electrolyte imbalances.

Huh...I had heard different about the protein. I heard that going over protein will turn into glucose, so you may as well eat the carbs. I've been striving not to go over my protein macros ever since!

Also, if I have a small bite of a forbidden food, chances are pretty good I will not stop at just a taste! It's how I got fat in the first place! I really envy the people who have that kind of willpower! But yes, if you can stop at just a small spoonful, then let yourself enjoy it!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Carbs are a hard limit.

Huh...I had heard different about the protein. I heard that going over protein will turn into glucose, so you may as well eat the carbs. I've been striving not to go over my protein macros ever since!

Also, if I have a small bite of a forbidden food, chances are pretty good I will not stop at just a taste! It's how I got fat in the first place! I really envy the people who have that kind of willpower! But yes, if you can stop at just a small spoonful, then let yourself enjoy it!

@Jigglypuff9363 - It can turn into glucose in some people. It does not do this in most people. @Sunny_Bunny_ has more of those reference articles on that than I do... And the process to convert protein into glucose is not efficient - and is only demand driven... So if your blood glucose is level and you're adapted to use ketone energy for fuel, your body has no additional glucose needs and therefore won't convert any protein...

I tell people all the time that I have negative willpower. But as I get balanced (it comes and goes due to a number of factors), certain choices are easier. I may want more, but it won't become a binge eating situation... But that also is not always the case.

I find that if I'm drying for potatoes, I can have a small portion (2 TBSP or so) as long as I eat a lot of fat in my other choices (and I don't maximize the potato taste - don't butter them, don't salt them, etc. within reason - and they won't taste as awesome)...it's easier to manage.

Remember, it is the trifecta of sweet/starchy WITH fats and WITH salt that creates that hugely addictive chemical response in our brains. Keto Christina on YouTube has some great videos about this effect...

I find that compromises are better choices for me that attempting to use my non-existent willpower. I don't recommend trying to replace all the foods you're used to eating - but rather - if there is one thing you know you're doing to eat no matter what - or it can't be a holiday without it - consider finding an alternative. If it's salty - find a salting compromise that hits the same salt factor. If it's a sweet, you might be surprised to find yourself not wanting it. If it has crunch - find something else crunchy, etc.

If I am DYING for pumpkin pie, I need to make a mini pumpkin cheesecake (SUPER EASY) or just the fluff part... basically, cream cheese, butter, pumpkin puree (not much), pumpkin pie spice (it's cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, clove, and sometimes allspice), and a small bit of sweetener (a packet or two like Pyure Organic Stevia) is good to go... There are more advanced versions, but that's super simple...

If I'm going to miss green bean casserole, I do sauteed green beans in bacon drippings, with bacon bits, slivered almonds, and a little butter. Then maybe some sauteed mushrooms on the side or in the mix. If you wanted the creaminess, you could use some heavy cream and dial back on the butter and bacon drippings... You can actually steam the green beans, brown them in the pan a little, etc., then add a sauce. Finely chopped nuts can be used in lieu of breadcrumbs or french fried onions (or use them strategically)....

If it's rolls, make almond buns or something... Or allow yourself half of one if you're not gluten sensitive or something....

There are always choices...

And sometimes it is worth revisiting a "forbidden food." As our taste buds change and our tolerance for certain foods shrinks, we often find that a food is not "as good" as we remember, etc. Something to keep in mind.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Now of course, one of the exceptions to this theory about protein is that if you are following a ketogenic diet for MEDICAL REASONS, that fat ratio is crucial. This is if you're working to prevent seizures, migraines, etc. There are a significant number of medical issues that do require Nutritional Ketosis, but if that was you - you would already know this... Just wanted to add the caveat.

And of course, here, now, and always - please do your own research. Talk to medical professionals (but remember that the data they were taught about diet in medical school is limited and out of date - as long as they're still willing to continue learning, they'll probably learn WITH YOU). Talk to other experienced people. Use your own experiences (nothing under 12 weeks is measurable data, things like anaphylactic reactions/shock excepting)...and so on...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Now of course, one of the exceptions to this theory about protein is that if you are following a ketogenic diet for MEDICAL REASONS, that fat ratio is crucial. This is if you're working to prevent seizures, migraines, etc. There are a significant number of medical issues that do require Nutritional Ketosis, but if that was you - you would already know this... Just wanted to add the caveat.

And of course, here, now, and always - please do your own research. Talk to medical professionals (but remember that the data they were taught about diet in medical school is limited and out of date - as long as they're still willing to continue learning, they'll probably learn WITH YOU). Talk to other experienced people. Use your own experiences (nothing under 12 weeks is measurable data, things like anaphylactic reactions/shock excepting)...and so on...

Absolutely true. That’s why I always try to specify a weight loss keto diet when I’m talking about it.
    This difference, I believe is a major factor in creating so much misinformation.
    It is vital to keep context in mind.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

I just want to say thanks, the links you provide are great! :)
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    My observation is this:
    If my mind is right and I fully mean to stay 100% keto, I can do it even if I am surrounded by every trigger food in my world.
    If I am waffling and whiney and full of excuses, even if there are zero carby foods in my home...I will drive out and get them any time of day or night that the urge prevails.
    The challenge for me is sustaining a healthy thinking process about my food plan and overall healthy-body goals.
    I am always seeking non-food alternatives to give myself as small, almost daily rewards. These help cope with the constant bombardment of both the predictable and also the blindsiding temptations.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    It's tough to reach the "food is fuel" mindset as opposed to "food is comfort, love, happy, celebratory, the be-all-end-all of happiness" thinking. Been there. Weighed 400+ pounds because every meal was an occasion. Keto helped get my brain right - doesn't matter what I eat as long as it's the proper fuel. Replacement foods are hard on my brain - it's easier for me to abstain than to indulge a few bites. Sugar replacements mess me up almost as much as real sugar. My thinking is simply "I choose not to eat this at this time." Doesn't mean ever again, just not now while I'm still trying to drop the last of the pounds.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options

I'm doing keto for migraines - I actually have found this not to be true. Keeping carbs <50g and getting plenty of protein >100g has been keeping the migraines away even on the days where I am not necessarily getting high on the fat ratio.

Of course, I still have just over 20% body fat, so it's quite possible that my body is simply making up the difference.

So far the only days I have had headaches are days where I hit >65g net carbs and even then none of the headaches have been migraine level, which is nice. And I do really try to hit the fat ratio most days, but it doesn't appear to be as critical as I originally anticipated. I have been low carb for a long time, and I also IF, so there may be factors at work here beyond the keto.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I'm doing keto for migraines - I actually have found this not to be true. Keeping carbs <50g and getting plenty of protein >100g has been keeping the migraines away even on the days where I am not necessarily getting high on the fat ratio.

Of course, I still have just over 20% body fat, so it's quite possible that my body is simply making up the difference.

So far the only days I have had headaches are days where I hit >65g net carbs and even then none of the headaches have been migraine level, which is nice. And I do really try to hit the fat ratio most days, but it doesn't appear to be as critical as I originally anticipated. I have been low carb for a long time, and I also IF, so there may be factors at work here beyond the keto.

I imagine that as nearly all things Keto, the individual macros required vary greatly from person to person, but this is a great starting point for anyone with migraines also as a main concern.

From what I remember, the higher fat numbers were initially developed for seizure control - so related to but different from migraine control.

As always, these things require a good deal of experimentation to find that perfect zone - as well as identify any particular sensitivity culprits, etc.

Thanks for the measurable/verified data, @tcunbeliever
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    For seizures the recommendation is to start at 4:1 and then lower fat by half points until either you get to 2:1 or you become symptomatic again. For migraines, it's the opposite, they recommend starting at 2:1 and increasing fat by half points if symptoms do not improve. I have been doing well at 1:1 most days, but I do try to get plenty of protein and keep carbs low...I started at 2:1 and that was pretty instant relief. Today is day #58, so far so good.

Not sure why with migraines there are actually better results with lower fat ratios and with seizures there are better results with higher fat ratios - it seems there is more going on physiologically than just being in or out of ketosis.

I'm not sure what is done for cancer or parkinsons or alzheimers, etc. I haven't really studied the recommended process for those issues.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    It's always great to have this info... Thank you for sharing!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    For cancer they do keep protein lower but they also keep total calories low. It is much more of a starvation kind of thing to literally starve the cancer cells and keep ketones as high as possible to fuel the healthy cells.
    I think with Alzheimer’s it’s more similar to the seizure protocol. Not as confident with my recollection of that though.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

This woman should be made compulsory reading, she is funny and really easy to read and talks sense. I went back to the first post and have been reading them all. I've learned loads and laughed a lot too! Currently on the posts about Ketosis and Fat Adaption and she's answering every question I've been asking myself. Thanks again for this link! :):)<3
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

This woman should be made compulsory reading, she is funny and really easy to read and talks sense. I went back to the first post and have been reading them all. I've learned loads and laughed a lot too! Currently on the posts about Ketosis and Fat Adaption and she's answering every question I've been asking myself. Thanks again for this link! :):)<3

You’re so welcome!
    I felt the same way when I first came upon her site. She’s amazingly smart but can hold a layman’s interest so easily all while not dumbing down the information.