Good "Starvation Mode" Article

ryry_
ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
This is a guy I subscribe to whose articles I enjoy. I like his writing style and most of his stuff is on point.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Replies

• glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    That is a good article for a change. Thanks!
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Really good article - I need to save it so that I read it when I am stuck. Thanks
  • RachyD21
    RachyD21 Posts: 83 Member
    Right. As a biologist that is pretty much what I knew already......but I continue to read the main forums and wonder if I should be eating more. The answer is no, no I don't. But I'm so huuungry. And the weight isn't coming off any more :sad: Feeling cr@ppy now but thanks for posting.
  • Amytrue1
    Amytrue1 Posts: 38 Member
    Good article, clearly stated.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Right. As a biologist that is pretty much what I knew already......but I continue to read the main forums and wonder if I should be eating more. The answer is no, no I don't. But I'm so huuungry. And the weight isn't coming off any more :sad: Feeling cr@ppy now but thanks for posting.

Sorry to bum you out! Congrats on the wedding though.

Took a look at your diary for august. Looks pretty consistent with tracking. A couple of higher days on the weekend but nothing that should derail you. Couple of questions that come to mind.

1.What weight are you at now and where do you want to be?
    2. Is your food measured on a food scale or estimated?
    3. Do you track sodium consumption?
    4. How often do you check your weight?
    5. How long have you been tracking your weight? How long since your last loss? How much lost over past 90 days?
    6. How complete is your diary. Any days when you log so well and stick to it and then dinner time rolls around and you say F*&^ it (I ask because I'm guilty of it)

Also, the group has a more detailed questionairre you can fill out where the group leaders SS and Sara will review and provide feedback. I'm just a group underling that posts here in between smart alecky main forum posts.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Good read, thanks for sharing!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Love it! Finally, something written in a language I can understand.
  • RachyD21
    RachyD21 Posts: 83 Member

Sorry to bum you out! Congrats on the wedding though.

Took a look at your diary for august. Looks pretty consistent with tracking. A couple of higher days on the weekend but nothing that should derail you. Couple of questions that come to mind.

1.What weight are you at now and where do you want to be?
    2. Is your food measured on a food scale or estimated?
    3. Do you track sodium consumption?
    4. How often do you check your weight?
    5. How long have you been tracking your weight? How long since your last loss? How much lost over past 90 days?
    6. How complete is your diary. Any days when you log so well and stick to it and then dinner time rolls around and you say F*&^ it (I ask because I'm guilty of it)

Also, the group has a more detailed questionairre you can fill out where the group leaders SS and Sara will review and provide feedback. I'm just a group underling that posts here in between smart alecky main forum posts.

Thanks for the support - and I needed to read that article, made me put my sensible-head back on!

I've already posted the questionnaire here > http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1074758-intake-general-help-needed-please?page=1#posts-16717566 and ss & sara are very kindly mulling me over :bigsmile:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Love it! Thanks :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Tagging to read
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Read - really really good article. I am going to link this thread in the "Important Posts' thread as it will be a great link to provide in other threads.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Bump
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    good link.

pretty much my understanding as well, but much more in depth than i would ever write in response to a "starvation mode" thread on MFP.

i've re-posted the link on my wall for my friends to read as well.

thanks. :cauliflowerforyou:
  • Strangegirlz
    Strangegirlz Posts: 92 Member
    I really enjoyed this article. It rang true on a lot of levels. Particularly the eating at a serious deficit and wondering why no weight was being lost, oh yeah that would be those 3-4 days a month when you binge on about 5000 calories a day. Oh but how can a few days have such a detrimental effect when I'm so good the rest of the time, STUPID!(please note I'm talking about myself, not having a go at anyone) I remember when sara calculated my monthly calories, I thought I my daily intake was 1600, but the average was actually 1900 because of the "bad" days.
    I think the idea of eating more has just got confused. It's good advice in terms of, don't stick to super low calories, because it's a ****ty thing to do for body and mind, you should eat more than 1200 whilst still remaining at a moderate deficit and like you guys are always saying don't just tell people to eat more because they're not losing weight, find out the actual reason why they're not losing weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I am so sending this to my sister....great read and easy to understand and maybe just maybe she will get it finally....
  • helenld1
    helenld1 Posts: 233 Member
    Great read - thanks for posting.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    tag
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    A great article. Thanks for sharing.
  • Xtinesky
    Xtinesky Posts: 127 Member
    Thank you for posting this. I love how clearly he wrote this and have bookmarked to read whenever I reach "plateaus".
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    I loved this article, and the others that were highlighted... I went and read them as well :wink: