Spring into a New You (May 2024 Challenge)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
Spring is a time of new beginnings. What better time to take that first step to better health? Summer is around the corner! Let's get ready. So this month pick one habit you want to change (or more if you are feeling extra adventurous) for this month whether it be for your WOE, fitness, or mental health. Got the activity down but feel like you can still improve? Spring into action to tackle that area.

As you know, my challenges are always roll-your-own so feel free to tailor it to you. If you just want plain ol' unfancy support and accountability, we're here for you.

Let's get this!

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    Oh, this is a difficult one for me. I have dealt with many of my less helpful habits. I guess if I was going to change one it would be getting out for a walk more times in the week. I will have to think on this a bit more. As usual, I am still slowly getting to my goal weight, so I want to make progress on that. Still about 7-8 pounds to go. I may make some changes on these later.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My goal, based on your challenge, is to get out of bed with a positive thought each morning. I've become so negative. I don't like it, and I need to change it no matter what is going on in my life. So...a positive thought to start each day!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Here we go. I've been maintaining and not losing. Keep getting minor injuries which keep me from working out one thing or another every couple of weeks. Which I absolutely KNOW is because I'm not getting the weight off. So. Weigh and log everything. My "eyeballing" instinct sucks. And I know that. But weighing and logging is a pain in the butt. And I'm a brat. "Can't outrun your fork, Jess! It is known."

207.6 this am. Downward scale movement weekly is what I'm working for. And logging my food.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I have 2. I think the one I need to work on most is snacking before dinner even if it is a healthy snack. The other is getting in some movement instead of working through lunch,
  • baconslave
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Here we go. I've been maintaining and not losing. Keep getting minor injuries which keep me from working out one thing or another every couple of weeks. Which I absolutely KNOW is because I'm not getting the weight off. So. Weigh and log everything. My "eyeballing" instinct sucks. And I know that. But weighing and logging is a pain in the butt. And I'm a brat. "Can't outrun your fork, Jess! It is known."

207.6 this am. Downward scale movement weekly is what I'm working for. And logging my food.

Just a note that the weight is actually a NRL (new recent low). And how did I FINALLY get there? LOGGING AND MEASURING.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    One thing I think I may add to my goals for this month is to try to move my weight workouts to the morning before I head to work. Right now I do them after I get home, and that usually means I am not finished until between 7 and 8 PM. Especially last night when I started later because I had a chiropractor appointment that evening, I slept horribly. I think that is at least partly because of the stimulation of an intense weight workout. I am not much of a morning person, but I think I will try to do this. Maybe I will start to like it. My usual workout days are Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, so it is only two week days when I am working.
  • jgot2lose2
    jgot2lose2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Logging my food and going on at least 1 walk a day, no matter how small. This month I want to build consistency.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    May SW 176
    I'll take measurements this weekend.
    Have gotten in meaningful movement every day since Sat.
    I did snack on a couple french fries before dinner that I made for the fam but nothing major.
    Strength planned at lunch.
  • clairehart7477
    clairehart7477 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to the group as I have just started this way of eating a week ago, my goal is not giving up, in the past it has been my downfall. I have so much to learn and seeing all of the carbs in foods in MFP tracker is helping me so much!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Yesterday went well

5/1:
    Carb goal: :+1:
    Calorie goal: :+1:
    Exercised as planned: :+1:
    Drank water: :+1:
    LOGGED YOUR GOL'DARN FOOD: :+1:
    CW: 207.2 (nrl- new recent low)
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I didn't get up extra early for my workout since I had the whole day off. I did do my workout first thing in the morning after having my coffee. It went okay. Not great. I didn't see progress in my lifts, and there was a little regress on a couple of them.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    Have hubby on board for after dinner walks going forward, helps me stay committed.
    No snacking before dinner last night.
    I did work through lunch yesterday because I needed to leave early but taking a longer lunch today as a result. Will be doing gardening this weekend :)
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 459 Member
    edited May 4
    Options
    I didn't get up extra early for my workout since I had the whole day off. I did do my workout first thing in the morning after having my coffee. It went okay. Not great. I didn't see progress in my lifts, and there was a little regress on a couple of them.

I've tried lifting first thing in the morning in the past. It's tough to progress for me. I've tried this and it does help a bit if you drink about 15 minutes before you start. I hate that it has artificial dyes, though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PYN4DM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I didn't lift this morning. I had to get to work on fixing my truck. I still haven't finished the job, but I needed to take a break so I came here to update. I am still questioning if doing a three times a week schedule is going to work for me or if I should switch to two days rest between workouts.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I had better get in here before another month gets away from me. Last month I didn’t do well on food but did focus on getting stress under control and lowered my blood pressure. This month I need to get focused on macros and staying within calorie targets as winging it clearly doesn’t work for me. The last two days I’ve done alright calorie wise but today missed my protein targets. That’ll be my top priority.
  • baconslave
    Options
    The weekend wasn't great. The Saboteur was onnit, as usual.

Back on focus yesterday and had a good logging day. Already feeling sore from that leg day yesterday so you know it was a good one. Already started logging this morning.
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    Weekend meals weren't the best and activity was down. Hubby's been obsessively truck shopping. As a result I'm stressed and feeling bloated. Definitely not feeling myself. Getting back on my game today. More water, more NEAT, more stairs and lunch workouts to finish the week.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My last couple of days have fluctuated a bit with my protein and carbs. I was right at or just over 100g of protein both days but carbs were higher yesterday due to some Tito’s so calories were above my target as well. I have felt more satiated with the uptick in protein but it does prove challenging in keeping that macro high. Nothing to do but keep at it I suppose! This middle aged fluff isn’t going to go away on it’s own.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Doing good, logging... my weight bounced back up and is staying at 207.6. Unsurprising based on my body's silly trend. It will do this a bit. I know I'm doing better and eventually the scale will show it.

Now to improve my weekend from last weekend. :triumph:
  • tishsmith101
    Options
    Started prepping for a modified Murph challenge at my trainer's for Memorial day. Food has been much better the last few days. Walk/jogged 3 times including today. Tomorrow is strength at lunch and yoga before dinner.

CW 174