Lifting and running

Options
sjohnny
sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
This topic seems to come up from time to time in here. I just found this today and thought it was interesting:

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/two-new-approaches-to-strength-training-for-runners

Replies

• sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was also looking into adding some lifting into my training. I did body pump for 2 years and I think that the high reps just destroyed my joints. Some of these seem interesting as well: http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/build-better-body?page=single
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I was also looking into adding some lifting into my training. I did body pump for 2 years and I think that the high reps just destroyed my joints. Some of these seem interesting as well: http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/build-better-body?page=single

I've actually stuck with compound lifts with a couple of accessory lifts (that varied depending on where I was with running). I started with Stronglifts and moved to 5/3/1 and did variations of 5/3/1 while training for my first two half marathons. I was able to continue to progress both in strength and in running endurance. I don't know what I'll be doing when it gets closer to my next half marathon but it will include relatively low rep compound lifts.
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I've actually stuck with compound lifts with a couple of accessory lifts (that varied depending on where I was with running). I started with Stronglifts and moved to 5/3/1 and did variations of 5/3/1 while training for my first two half marathons. I was able to continue to progress both in strength and in running endurance. I don't know what I'll be doing when it gets closer to my next half marathon but it will include relatively low rep compound lifts.

Yeah I've been looking into stronglifts. The only problem I have is I want/need a program that I can do in my building's gym (which doesn't have a squat rack, has only preloaded barbells up to about 100lbs, and some other limitations) so that I can be sure that I stick with it. We have a smith machine, but I don't think that's really the best way to do squats. But yes, higher weight and lower reps is the goal. There are a couple new gyms opening up in my neighborhood soon that I'll check out.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I have added a link to the main sticky "Important Posts to Read" and will also add links here to discussions that we have had in other threads as reference.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I have added a link to the main sticky "Important Posts to Read" and will also add links here to discussions that we have had in other threads as reference.
    :smile:

This is the first article/study I've seen that actually recommends the low rep range for runners (there may be others, I haven't seen them). Most of the time articles about strength training for runners have folks working in the endurance rep range.

My thought is that the strength training should be for... well.. strength. As your muscles get stronger you can move faster and are less prone to injury. This would mean staying in the very low 1-5 rep range. The rest of my thought is that your endurance is being built through your actual running. There isn't much of a need to add a bunch of low weight/high rep lifting as that's what you're doing on the road/trail.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Yeah I've been looking into stronglifts. The only problem I have is I want/need a program that I can do in my building's gym (which doesn't have a squat rack, has only preloaded barbells up to about 100lbs, and some other limitations) so that I can be sure that I stick with it. We have a smith machine, but I don't think that's really the best way to do squats. But yes, higher weight and lower reps is the goal. There are a couple new gyms opening up in my neighborhood soon that I'll check out.

I don't know where you are in your strength training but if you're just starting out you can go for a little while before you hit 100lbs on most of your lifts. Maybe by then one of the gyms nearby will be up and running and you can switch over.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm following the StrongLifts program and I also run and bicycle. I've found that if I limit my running to 3 days a week I can gain strength and have endurance for running. If I feel I need a rest day I usually take a rest from running but never miss a lifting day. So far I like the results.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    :smile:

This is the first article/study I've seen that actually recommends the low rep range for runners (there may be others, I haven't seen them). Most of the time articles about strength training for runners have folks working in the endurance rep range.

My thought is that the strength training should be for... well.. strength. As your muscles get stronger you can move faster and are less prone to injury. This would mean staying in the very low 1-5 rep range. The rest of my thought is that your endurance is being built through your actual running. There isn't much of a need to add a bunch of low weight/high rep lifting as that's what you're doing on the road/trail.

This helps me a lot, thanks!!! :smile:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I'm following the StrongLifts program and I also run and bicycle. I've found that if I limit my running to 3 days a week I can gain strength and have endurance for running. If I feel I need a rest day I usually take a rest from running but never miss a lifting day. So far I like the results.
    How long are your runs?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to read later.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Great article! Thanks for posting!

While I was doing a 10k training program, I found that in order to progress with running, I could only handle strength training 2x/week as I was running generally 4x/week (I was also eating at a deficit....if I had been eating at maintenance it may have been different). I did do a modified strength program, higher rep/lower weight in comparison to SL or Beautiful Badass that I had previously been running. This worked well for me, however I still made sure that I was progressing in weight and/or reps each workout.

I think that regardless which method you choose (high weight/low rep or low weight/high reps) the key will always be progression and you can still get stronger with either method. IMO, people often have this perception that if you are doing a program that has higher reps, lower weight that you will not accomplish anything and in my experience it's just not the case.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I was pretty beat up after my long run while training for my half and even started doing more pilates type exercises for cross training during my later weeks. I hope to be able to do more intense cross-training before next year's run with a stronger base.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    In...

...to read later.

^^ This
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Not that I like to run but I have many friends who do and I want to read this when I have more time ;) thanks for posting.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a year and recently started training for my first 10K but am pretty new to strength training, so this is helpful. Thank you!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I am glad this was bumped - added to the index for reference.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

LOLsara in a running thread.

:laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

LOLsara in a running thread.

:laugh:

1zg3ztz.jpg