12 Weeks with SideSteel

Options
EvanKeel
EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
I have recently finished a 12 week project with SideSteel for weight loss. So, with his permission, I thought I would post about my experience and results. Sometimes the trip to the well can be a little long with me. With that in mind, I'll try to edit.

TL:DR: SS was great. I found him to be very knowledgeable. It seemed that, for me, goals were more successfully achieved when a holistic approach used. The interaction of exercise and intake with daily life can make simple things look complex and vice versa. Coming off a fairly lengthy stall, I found the perspective he brought on that front to be very useful. He really helped me get out of my head a bit, and he brought some info the process that I hadn't considered.

I'm happy with my results and the experience and would recommend it to anyone who's having some trouble rebooting their fat loss.

My Background:

After a long-ish period of weight loss with ups and downs, I was stalled.

About four 4 years ago, I weighed close to 260lbs. I decided to make a change. So I started watching what I ate, going to the gym, and bought some sessions with a trainer. It worked. I lost weight. By the time I had used the last session I paid for I was down to around 230. That seemed like good progress, but I moved and changed gyms, and did not seek additional aid from a trainer at the new gym.

At around that same time, my office started up a inexpensive gym of it's own, and a trainer started group classes. I joined that gym, along with my other one, and I bought some group class sessions. At the end of the that course, I was down to around 212. Eventually I got down to around 195 on my own. And then I stalled. For many months. I think it was probably close to 6 months. Then I gained. Slowly, but I did gain. Over the course of 6 months I got back to around 210lbs.

I was somewhat frustrated, and then I saw the post for the 12 week project.

My Experience:

Without going into specifics, I found the conversations we had to be very useful. The critique of my lifting form also helped, even though major changes weren't required in that area (thankfully).

Other recomp goals, etc, were discussed, but overall I think breaking the stall had to do with taking a closer look at adherence and making some adjustments to my intake that helped ensure I was actually eating at a deficit. Again, sometimes fitting that into daily life is more complicated that it sounds, and sometimes it's simpler than I think it is.

I'd also like to give a shout out to the great folks that went through the 12 weeks with me. You're all awesome.

Results:

Over the course of the 12 weeks, I went from 210 to 197 and lost a few inches off my waist. I'm at 196 now, and I'm taking a mild break. My current eventual goal is around 170-180, depending on how I feel about BF% at the time. For right now, I think a little relaxation in restriction will help energize/motivate me for another fat loss phase.

I'm pleased with the results so far. I have a Before and After below. At first, I didn't really want to show it because I felt that while I did see a difference, it's not like I have a six pack or anything. The more I thought about it, though, I think it's probably important to set real expectations about what a 13lb loss, at my weight and BF%, looks like. I think people probably get discouraged by the marketing that's out there, and that's unfortunate.

Mike_M.jpg

Replies

• BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Another satisfied SideSteel customer.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Huge progress for 12 weeks - congratulations.

However...rumor has it...SideSteel does not even lift!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I think your results are fantastic!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    That is great progress! You really can see the difference. :smile:
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    That is substantial progress in a short time. Excellent work.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    "12 Weeks with Sidesteel"

Sounds like a novel with a shirtless ship captain on the cover with long flowy hair...Not that I would know...

Seriously though nice progress!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Nice progress. :flowerforyou:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You already know I think you did well since we just chatted today, but let me add that it's been fun working with you and getting to know you. Thanks for the write up, and of course for volunteering to the project.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I have recently finished a 12 week project with SideSteel for weight loss. So, with his permission, I thought I would post about my experience and results. Sometimes the trip to the well can be a little long with me. With that in mind, I'll try to edit.

TL:DR: SS was great. I found him to be very knowledgeable. It seemed that, for me, goals were more successfully achieved when a holistic approach used. The interaction of exercise and intake with daily life can make simple things look complex and vice versa. Coming off a fairly lengthy stall, I found the perspective he brought on that front to be very useful. He really helped me get out of my head a bit, and he brought some info the process that I hadn't considered.

I'm happy with my results and the experience and would recommend it to anyone who's having some trouble rebooting their fat loss.

My Background:

After a long-ish period of weight loss with ups and downs, I was stalled.

About four 4 years ago, I weighed close to 260lbs. I decided to make a change. So I started watching what I ate, going to the gym, and bought some sessions with a trainer. It worked. I lost weight. By the time I had used the last session I paid for I was down to around 230. That seemed like good progress, but I moved and changed gyms, and did not seek additional aid from a trainer at the new gym.

At around that same time, my office started up a inexpensive gym of it's own, and a trainer started group classes. I joined that gym, along with my other one, and I bought some group class sessions. At the end of the that course, I was down to around 212. Eventually I got down to around 195 on my own. And then I stalled. For many months. I think it was probably close to 6 months. Then I gained. Slowly, but I did gain. Over the course of 6 months I got back to around 210lbs.

I was somewhat frustrated, and then I saw the post for the 12 week project.

My Experience:

Without going into specifics, I found the conversations we had to be very useful. The critique of my lifting form also helped, even though major changes weren't required in that area (thankfully).

Other recomp goals, etc, were discussed, but overall I think breaking the stall had to do with taking a closer look at adherence and making some adjustments to my intake that helped ensure I was actually eating at a deficit. Again, sometimes fitting that into daily life is more complicated that it sounds, and sometimes it's simpler than I think it is.

I'd also like to give a shout out to the great folks that went through the 12 weeks with me. You're all awesome.

Results:

Over the course of the 12 weeks, I went from 210 to 197 and lost a few inches off my waist. I'm at 196 now, and I'm taking a mild break. My current eventual goal is around 170-180, depending on how I feel about BF% at the time. For right now, I think a little relaxation in restriction will help energize/motivate me for another fat loss phase.

I'm pleased with the results so far. I have a Before and After below. At first, I didn't really want to show it because I felt that while I did see a difference, it's not like I have a six pack or anything. The more I thought about it, though, I think it's probably important to set real expectations about what a 13lb loss, at my weight and BF%, looks like. I think people probably get discouraged by the marketing that's out there, and that's unfortunate.

Mike_M.jpg

Nice job. Kew-ka-lew-ka- chi...
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you don't see much of a difference! You can totally see a difference. Great progress!!!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    You've made amazing progress:flowerforyou:
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Great progress, congratulations!
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Well done!!
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    h0mGJjR.gif

The difference is considerably substantial, excellent work OP.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great results, congratulations for sticking to the plan. Food is hard!

Now......how do I sign up for 12 weeks w side steel?!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great results, congratulations for sticking to the plan. Food is hard!

Now......how do I sign up for 12 weeks w side steel?!

This was a pilot program that I've been running in 12 week blocks for people as a "test run" prior to potentially doing this as a business. At this point I don't know if I'll be running another free group of clients or going into this for pay.

We are expecting another baby in 9 days so I'm holding off for now =)