Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

Options

Replies

• wangta
    wangta Posts: 3
    Options
    Just wanted to check my workings :) hope that's ok
    I've used the scooby workshop link and get a BMR of 1575 so that's what i have set my calorie goal in MFP to
    i also have bf% scales that say i am 40%bf I've used the tape methods too but know they are pretty inaccurate
    I've used the macro calculators you have set out and get 25% protein 25% fat and the rest carbs so 40%

i workout 6 days a week with Sundays as rest days and weds as single workout days i net 1000 on double workout days and 1800 on rest days and burn 500-1000calories in exercise cals.

By putting 1575 as my calorie goal and logging my exercise as then eating goal and 50% exercise calories with those macro % should that get me about where i aim to be?
    I'm 162cms, 26yo, 172lbs, apparently 40%bf, bmi 29, waist 83cm neck 33.7cm, hips 97cm and my diary is open but all over the place this past month while i work things out

I just recently joined but have been reading a lot on these threads - shouldn't you be basing your caloric intake on TDEE, not BMR? BMR is the calories you need to LIVE, like, if you are bed ridden. That would make your target way too low and you'll end up being lathargic, etc. For me, my BMR is ~35% less than my TDEE.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I've used the scooby workshop link and get a BMR of 1575 so that's what i have set my calorie goal in MFP to
    i also have bf% scales that say i am 40%bf I've used the tape methods too but know they are pretty inaccurate
    I've used the macro calculators you have set out and get 25% protein 25% fat and the rest carbs so 40%

i workout 6 days a week with Sundays as rest days and weds as single workout days i net 1000 on double workout days and 1800 on rest days and burn 500-1000calories in exercise cals.

By putting 1575 as my calorie goal and logging my exercise as then eating goal and 50% exercise calories with those macro % should that get me about where i aim to be?
    I'm 162cms, 26yo, 172lbs, apparently 40%bf, bmi 29, waist 83cm neck 33.7cm, hips 97cm and my diary is open but all over the place this past month while i work things out

How long have you been logging and tracking your weight?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I just recently joined but have been reading a lot on these threads - shouldn't you be basing your caloric intake on TDEE, not BMR? BMR is the calories you need to LIVE, like, if you are bed ridden. That would make your target way too low and you'll end up being lathargic, etc. For me, my BMR is ~35% less than my TDEE.

1) She is eating some of her exercise calories back. Excluding exercise, TDEE less 20% is often about 1lb a week and about your BMR - 1lb a week is fine for many people.
    2) BMR calculators are just an estimate
    3) There is nothing inherently wrong with eating below your BMR in many circumstances - you need to look at context, such as activity levels, energy, adherence, current weight and leanness, length of time at the intake level, total actual deficit etc.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Sorry in advance, but can someone please dumb this down for me? I read through the original post a few times and I am not getting it. These letters and acronyms are so confusing to me.

I'm afraid that I'm not taking in enough calories/I'm burning too many and not taking enough back in.

MFP originally had me at 1400 cal (50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein). I just started doing Insanity in the evenings (burning around 450-650 cals) and I'm also doing T25 in the morning (burning around 200-500 cals), and I go to the gym with my sister on Sat and use some of the machines. Because of this I upped my number to 1660, but I think that I should be taking in more because the last 3 days my deficit has ranged between 500-1,125 cals. I guess I just need some advice. It was easier when I was just doing the T25 program in the morning, but now that I've added a new workout series, it's complicated things a bit. I can't seem to wrap my brain around it.

The Insanity Food Guide said I should be eating 1900 cals a day (I used the math equation they had in the book), but that sounds like a lot of food. I'm a 26 y/o female who currently weighs 145.5 pounds and I work out about 60-70 mins Mon-Sat.

My sister told me to use a protein powder to bump up my calories, and I started eating a heavier breakfast, but I'm not sure if that will be enough. I'm afraid of messing up my progress, but I don't want to quit my exercise programs because they challenge me and I enjoy them.

Is 1900 cals what I should eat for the entire day, not eating back the exercise cals lost? Or is 1900 what I should be eating for the entire day, including eating back some of the exercise cals lost, making my number really be like 2400 cals?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sorry in advance, but can someone please dumb this down for me? I read through the original post a few times and I am not getting it. These letters and acronyms are so confusing to me.

I'm afraid that I'm not taking in enough calories/I'm burning too many and not taking enough back in.

MFP originally had me at 1400 cal (50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein). I just started doing Insanity in the evenings (burning around 450-650 cals) and I'm also doing T25 in the morning (burning around 200-500 cals), and I go to the gym with my sister on Sat and use some of the machines. Because of this I upped my number to 1660, but I think that I should be taking in more because the last 3 days my deficit has ranged between 500-1,125 cals. I guess I just need some advice. It was easier when I was just doing the T25 program in the morning, but now that I've added a new workout series, it's complicated things a bit. I can't seem to wrap my brain around it.

The Insanity Food Guide said I should be eating 1900 cals a day (I used the math equation they had in the book), but that sounds like a lot of food. I'm a 26 y/o female who currently weighs 145.5 pounds and I work out about 60-70 mins Mon-Sat.

My sister told me to use a protein powder to bump up my calories, and I started eating a heavier breakfast, but I'm not sure if that will be enough. I'm afraid of messing up my progress, but I don't want to quit my exercise programs because they challenge me and I enjoy them.

Is 1900 cals what I should eat for the entire day, not eating back the exercise cals lost? Or is 1900 what I should be eating for the entire day, including eating back some of the exercise cals lost, making my number really be like 2400 cals?

Why does it sound like a lot of food?
    Ever log what you used to eat before you exercised and started a diet, the level of eating that got you into trouble?

I'm betting 1900 would appear low compared to that number. You are just unaware of anything but probably the 1400 goal.

Also, you set MFP to that goal eating level by your selection of activity level for non-exercise time (true or not) and your selected weight loss goal.

Insanity diet guide does include their exercise - their exercise the recommended times per week - not the other exercise you are doing in addition. That would actually increase it more. And if doing their workout more often, higher yet.

And in the formula, did you plug in you wanted to lose weight?

If you had used MFP as designed, you would have been eating back your exercise calories when you actually did exercise, and you'd have the same amount of deficit every day based on your weight loss goal.
    So 1400 + 650 to 1150 = 2050 to 2550 eating on workout days - and that would have included a deficit to lose weight.

Now does 1900 sound high?

The TDEE method (daily maintenance including exercise) includes all planned exercise.
    Then you take a deficit.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

Why does it sound like a lot of food?
    Ever log what you used to eat before you exercised and started a diet, the level of eating that got you into trouble?

I'm betting 1900 would appear low compared to that number. You are just unaware of anything but probably the 1400 goal.

Also, you set MFP to that goal eating level by your selection of activity level for non-exercise time (true or not) and your selected weight loss goal.

Insanity diet guide does include their exercise - their exercise the recommended times per week - not the other exercise you are doing in addition. That would actually increase it more. And if doing their workout more often, higher yet.

And in the formula, did you plug in you wanted to lose weight?

If you had used MFP as designed, you would have been eating back your exercise calories when you actually did exercise, and you'd have the same amount of deficit every day based on your weight loss goal.
    So 1400 + 650 to 1150 = 2050 to 2550 eating on workout days - and that would have included a deficit to lose weight.

Now does 1900 sound high?

The TDEE method (daily maintenance including exercise) includes all planned exercise.
    Then you take a deficit.

I think that's what is throwing me off, I have to remember that TDEE is taking into account exercise already. Thanks for the advice and info. What got me into trouble before was not eating enough and not eating the right things. I'm the type if person who can have 6 bites of food and be full (my coworkers always tell me I eat like a bird or a rabbit). So I just have to find some healthy higher calorie foods to help bump up my levels. Adding some protein powder to my morning smoothie helped take my breakfast from 250 cals to 450, so that's a start. And I upped the amount of oz of fish I'm eating at lunch from 3 to 7 today. So that should help as well. I just need to make more adjustments to what I'm already doing. Again thanks a lot!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

How long have you been tracking your food and weight for?
  • ScotianBeauty
    ScotianBeauty Posts: 8 Member
    Options

DITTO !!!! I AM SOOOOO CONFUSED AND LOST WITH ALL OF THIS .!!!! SORRY IF I SOUND STUPID OR SLOW , BUT IT"S CONFUSING FOR ME ..CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELP ME OR ADVISE ME IF I'M DOING THE RIGHT THINGS. :embarassed:
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    I've been tracking in MFP for 11 days. But I've been tracking on WW since Feb. I came over to MFP because I'm not going to continue with WW bc I've got the basics and now I feel confident enough to go on my own.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I've been tracking in MFP for 11 days. But I've been tracking on WW since Feb. I came over to MFP because I'm not going to continue with WW bc I've got the basics and now I feel confident enough to go on my own.

What are your stats?

Height
    Weight
    Non exercise activity (e.g. kids, desk job, walking a dog etc)
    How many days a week are you exercising and for how long on average?
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

What are your stats?

Height
    Weight
    Non exercise activity (e.g. kids, desk job, walking a dog etc)
    How many days a week are you exercising and for how long on average?

5'
    145.5 (as of 4/30/14)
    Desk job, that involves moderate standing, walking, lifting heavy coin. No kids, no pets.
    6 days a week, 60 mins
  • ardorrequiem
    Options
    replying to save this. seriously.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been using the default MFP settings for calories (I have a fitbit and an HRM to calculate calories burned). At 1000 calorie deficit I have lost 16 lb in 8 weeks. So I am happy with the calories in / out balance. I eat 1200-1400 calories per day, depending on how active I have been.

But I feel I should be focusing more on my macros, as I tend to eat a lot of carbs.

Could you please confirm that I have done the maths to set my macro targets correctly ?

I am 5 foot 8, 192 lb(currently) , with body fat 36.9%. (just measured by my home scale, but its the most accurate I've got).
    Protein: 1 x 192 x 0.631 (LBM) = 121g x 4 calories = 484 calories divided by 1,300 (calorie target) = 37% - round up to 38%
    Fat: 0.35 x 192 = 67.2g x 9 calories = 605 calories divided by 1,300 = 47% - round up to 48%

Carbs: balance of 14%

Is this correct ? (I don't have a lot of experience but it seems like a lot of fat ?)
    Thank you for your time.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I tried to work out mine, but when I put them into mfp it comes up at around 70% carbs, 15%protein and 15% fat. (280g, 60g, 27g) That doesn't seem quite right does it? I mean it just seems really out of balance.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I tried to work out mine, but when I put them into mfp it comes up at around 70% carbs, 15%protein and 15% fat. (280g, 60g, 27g) That doesn't seem quite right does it? I mean it just seems really out of balance.

Ah figured it out- had to convert kgs to pounds to do the calculations.
  • StephanieT0602
    StephanieT0602 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump...to read later
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the informative post, I just joined this group since I'd like some guidance on nutrition. I put my info into the scooby calculator and am a little confused by the results.

I am male, 31, 5 ft 10 in tall, and 178lbs. I work at a desk but have kids, do yard work etc. I also exercise probably 4 times a week for about an hour, mostly heavy lifting but a little running and circuit training mixed in.

The recomp thing sounds pretty difficult to do and honestly, although I'd like to get bigger I think from various sources my goal should be cutting some fat at this point. But the calculator said at 3-5 hrs/wk of moderate exercise, 15% calorie reduction and 4 meals a day with a 30% protein/45% carb/25% fat macro breakdown that I need 2871 calories just to maintain my weight? And 2440 would meet my goal and give me .9 lb weight loss a week?

Can this be right? This sounds really high to me so I entered 2200 in MFP. I am only just beginning to track my diet again... I was really into it a year ago and lost 25 lbs (190 down to 165) but then felt like I had a good handle on my calories and wanted to started bulking up (and have). Also do I or do I not eat my calories back when doing cardio? Everyone's advice seems different.

If it helps my measurements as taken by a personal trainer in February of this year (which if I had to guess would be similar right now although some more muscle):

Tricipes 10.5 (I'm assuming this is in mm)
    Subscapula 18
    Midaxilla 9.5
    Pectoral 15.5
    Abdomen 20
    Suprailiac 13
    Quadriceps 18.5

Weight 175 lbs
    Lean Weight 147.9 lbs
    Fat Weight 27.1 lbs
    Body Fat Percentage 15.46%
    BMI 25.1 kg/m2

I'm not sure what method she used for the conversion from the measurements to the body fat percentage but I could find out if that is helpful. Thank you for your help.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    What's the latest on a sensible protien intake these days? I just don't see how so much protein is needed for the average person to build some muscle beyond 100g with a 2000mg intake....:huh: