How to blast that fat from a specific area!

Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Tough turds, you can't.

But in the main forums, we see the question brought up DAILY and what's even worse, we often see it prefaced with "I know you can't spot reduce but......"

So here's some actual research on it that should help to explain that doing those 200 crunches, really won't blast that belly fat.

At the surface, this study would lead you to believe that it's possible, but thankfully Lyle examines this quantitatively to show you that you really aren't doing anything measurable:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16985258

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/are-blood-flow-and-lipolysis-in-subcutaneous-adipose-tissue-influenced-by-contractions-in-adjacent-muscle-in-humans-research-review.html

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So I can't spot reduce? Really? Oh man!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If spot reduction through exercise were possible, I would have had a skinny face from all that chewing.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Tough turds, you can't.

But in the main forums, we see the question brought up DAILY and what's even worse, we often see it prefaced with "I know you can't spot reduce but......"

So here's some actual research on it that should help to explain that doing those 200 crunches, really won't blast that belly fat.

At the surface, this study would lead you to believe that it's possible, but thankfully Lyle examines this quantitatively to show you that you really aren't doing anything measurable:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/are-blood-flow-and-lipolysis-in-subcutaneous-adipose-tissue-influenced-by-contractions-in-adjacent-muscle-in-humans-research-review.html

I know all of that but I did squats the other day and my double chin is smaller so how can I get rid of my cankles?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Tough turds, you can't.

I know all of that but I did squats the other day and my double chin is smaller so how can I get rid of my cankles?

Cankles are genetic. You're doomed. You can only get rid of cankles by eating under 1200 calories a day and leaving TX. :flowerforyou:
    (ETA: Adding BBQ sauce to your meat will severely reduce fat. :smokin:)

Great post, Sidesteel. This will be another good link to toss in the forums as appropriate.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Tough turds, you can't.

:sad:

Great post sir :)
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    But Dr Oz told me I can! :grumble:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    (ETA: Adding BBQ sauce to your meat will severely reduce fat. :smokin:)

Then I guess I'm fcked.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    2m65w5x.jpg
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Aww man. I had a blog with scientific evidence that spot reduction does work. It does not work to the extent that people hope...but studies showed a small increase in local fat loss. Essentially the final say was, it is possible, but the extent you have to go to accomplish it for those gains make the benefits negligible.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    False, I can blast a dookage, and boom! automatic spot reduction from my colon.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Aww man. I had a blog with scientific evidence that spot reduction does work. It does not work to the extent that people hope...but studies showed a small increase in local fat loss. Essentially the final say was, it is possible, but the extent you have to go to accomplish it for those gains make the benefits negligible.

See the links in the original post if you've not read them yet. The research I posted shows spot reduction. Lyle then quantifies it to show how irrelevant it is.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Ok, if I can't spot reduce, can you at least tell me how to get a thigh gap???

Lol - I can't even keep a straight face while typing that. Who the eff cares if my thighs touch?
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Can't you spot reduce, really?
    leg-day.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Dynamite, lasers and liposuction.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I know you can't spot reduce but cardio targets belly fat...
  • LoraF83
    Options

I've never tried to spit reduce.

Do you just spit on your hand and rub it on the areas of fat?? :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Well, if squats did your neck, maybe you need to find that neck machine I remember seeing ages ago, I think Nautilus, and shouldn't that help your legs.

Hmmmm, 5 x 5 with high weight? or high reps?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Ninja mod edit ftw!!! Lol
  • LoraF83
    Options

Ninja mod edit ftw!!! Lol

Lol! You mods just like to flaunt your super powers!! :laugh: