Why am I not losing....Wednesday?

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I've been back at keto for at least a few weeks now. I was starting the year back in low carb after a wacky end of the year. I ended up dropping lower on carbs than I had planned and found myself struggling with near every single keto side effect that exists.

I've upped my supplements, added mct oil (which only caused more problems. Start slow with that stuff). My brain fog had lifted I have energy my mood is good my stomach seems to be settling out my appetite is in control. All things are looking up.

However the scale is truly driving me crazy. I lost almost 2lbs last week only for them to show back up. I know how it works especially since I started some light exercise this year too. But still shouldn't it be going down, what the heck.

I know I'm not the only one, I think almost all of my feed lately has been from others struggling with the same thing. It's really discouraging and this is usually where I give up. I'm close to goal I feel good so why stress over these last few lbs. This time though I'm not doing that, I just needed some sort of encouragement, something concrete that I could see a positive change in. I need a win!

So today I decided to do some photos, back in the summer when I got to the weight I am at now I decided it was time to recomp so I took some before photos. I'm no where near where I want to be but I thought maybe if I can see something, anything, then I will be reignited and ready to keep going.

Now it's not a drastic difference but I can see areas that are changing, they just aren't the spots I might notice regularly or measure.

I would encourage any of you struggling with the scale right now to take some current photos so you have something to compare with when the scale turns on you.

kpb2j9zcrun3.jpg
5e59wq778s6h.jpg

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Legs are looking strong. Walking is paying off! Triceps. Yay planks! :)

Also, signs of a six pack. Definitely less fat in areas!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Yeah see I don't notice my legs because my legs aren't really a problem area. Mentally I only focus on my mid section and arms it's hard to see a change there for me in person but in the photos I can see a difference.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Looking good!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Look at your abs! Planking! Pictures don't lie! Hang tough!!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Thank you. I actually just looked up the date the before photo was taken. It was July 31, my weigh in on July 30 was actually 3 lbs less than I weigh right now in the after picture.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    p0zm56rfwgaq.jpeg
    Great progress!
    I also have been making very slow progress for a few months and have been constantly reminding myself that it just takes time. But sometimes it's really hard!
    I also decided that today was a good day for a progress pic since I've had a good week finally having some new loss. 0.4lbs! Huge one week loss for me! This just doesn't happen anymore.
    I was very surprised that there was this much difference with only a 4lb loss. I'm very glad I took a pic today!
    I don't have any abs trying to show yet like @auntstephie321 but I know it will happen if I just stay on course.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ :( your pic won't open on my phone, I'll have to look in the computer tomorrow at work. Congrats on your loss :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It uploaded weird but I think I fixed it.
    It also cut off my last sentence that said you are a planking rock star and I need to join in on that thread so I can be too!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Holy smokes that's a huge difference. Isn't it amazing! You look great!
  • teruma
    teruma Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I eat right, exercise, and the scale won't go down. It's frustrating! Sure way to ruin my day .
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Stephanie, don't stress!! you are losing inches...I can see it across your back , but that's kinda' hard to measure....it is coming off..... you're doing great.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    You said in the friend feed that you are feel like you're losing inches in places you don't measure. So true. You can't measure every point on your body. And you get to a point where you start losing other places. It happened to me. How can you measure the lower belly pouch in a specific spot. It sure looks like it's smaller, but it's not measurable. A different spot in your thighs than you usually measure? Other places, like your glutes or similar sun-don't-shine places?

I can totally see a difference in those pics.

Recomping is SLOW and subtle. I can only see my progress in pics as well. As a matter of fact, I'm 4lb heavier than my last progress pic and I'm betting if I took one right now, I'd look noticeably smaller in it. My thighs aren't smaller inch-wise, but the ratio of muscle to fat has changed. More muscle, less fat. My pants are sure getting loose.

Keep up the good work. Just breathe. MFP is a great tool. But it's too damn easy to weigh daily and log daily and feel like it's taking forever. Time seems like it slows down when you get too close. Forest for the trees! I have to step back and breathe and look at the long view. It looks completely different than the myopic lense we've been obsessing through. IMO, anyway.

Hang in there, Steph.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Stephanie. It is very noticeable in your back and backside from the pics. Definition in your shoulder blades, etc, You spot reduced everything you can't see from the front!
    LOL. Keep up the great work, you look amazing. Thanks for sharing.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Great job Stephie :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ , you're looking good, too! Nice to see others' progress pics as well!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ , you're looking good, too! Nice to see others' progress pics as well!

Thank you! I was very glad to see @auntstephie321 's post about this. It's soooooooo important to take the pics! I would not have any idea how much actual progress I've made in the last 5 months if it were not for taking the pics. My first month I lost almost 10 pounds. It started decreasing from there and I expected that. But it was literally overnight that scale losses just pretty much stopped! I was convinced I was doing something wrong. I just decided to trust in the process. I hadn't changed anything and I knew my body knew what it was doing. I HAD TO trust in the plan.
    I'm very glad I did. It's clearly still providing the results in looking for.
  • sciencenovice
    sciencenovice Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm also experiencing a stall, sort of. I initially lost ten ponds the first three weeks. And now two weeks later, I'm actually up a half pound. Last week was my TOM,so I thought that's why. But I was disappointed to say the least, when I jumped on the scale for my weekly way in, only to see it hadn't budged. I know I'm not in a real stall until 4-6 weeks, but I've got to say it's disheartening. But my clothes are loser than they were two weeks ago and I do feel better. So I'll just have to be patient and keep on. Sigh I was really looking forward to the 160s though....
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Good job! I am doing a 24 hr fast to see if it revs up my fat burner. BPC this morning, no food til tomorrow morning. I was stalling last two weeks and hope this works. If you haven't tried it already , try intermittent fasting. I am trying it after reading and help from great folks in this group.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Am I super ultra mega conceited for continually looking at my own comparison photos. >:)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Am I super ultra mega conceited for continually looking at my own comparison photos. >:)

HaHa no way! You worked hard to get where you are :smiley: